Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 08:18 PM   #261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Received confirmation that I'll start getting my non-COLA pension, first check early October. SS checks should start about then as well; I'll be firing on all cylinders!

...not doing anything of true substance...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2016, 09:08 PM   #262
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Received confirmation that I'll start getting my non-COLA pension, first check early October. SS checks should start about then as well; I'll be firing on all cylinders!
No pun intended....right...?
Old 02-05-2016, 09:20 PM   #263

Went to younger son's basketball game tonight. Great Game!!! They won by 20 pts and DS made 4 baskets and had a bunch of rebounds. Woo hoo.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:21 AM   #264
Administrator

Congratulations to the young hoopster.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:20 AM   #265
Recycles dryer sheets

Today, DH and I are helping DD sell Girl Scout cookies at a booth outside of a store. Then DD and I are making Broncos inspired cupcakes for the Super Bowl tomorrow.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:26 PM   #266

Started out, I was just going to get the mail.

Then I noticed the neglected apple trees. I should have been pruning them, but never have. After reviewing University of Youtube, I pruned two apple trees.

The black spray I put on the open cuts also said it seals gutters, so I climbed on the roof and sealed a leaky gutter. I noticed one span of gutter that I hadn't removed this season's leaves, so I cleared leaves from the gutter.

Even though I hadn't gotten the mail yet, I was distracted by some white specs in the gutter that looked like insulation, and sure enough, the tree rats got into the attic again! This time in a new spot. After attending U of Y again, I made and installed a one-way squirrel door.

DW interrupted me before I could put away the ladder and asked me to help with her bathroom project, so I installed two new LED light fixtures. Ladder still outside, I did a quick craigslist post (free-stuff) to get rid of the old fixtures, towel bars, etc.

As I was putting away the ladder, I heard the spigot on the side of the house hissing, and sure enough, the last freeze caused it to leak, so I replaced the valve seat washer on the outdoor spigot. The mailbox, still unchecked, I finally went out there.

I saw the mail truck come and go, but peering in the mailbox? Nothing. So I failed to get the mail.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:01 PM   #267
Administrator

Went to the movies to watch The Finest Hours, a movie about the 1952 Coast Guard rescue of the crew of the SS Pendleton off Cape Cod. For those who don't know the sea, it is a good introduction to the fact that there is nothing more powerful on Earth. And a good reminder for those who do.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:15 PM   #268
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Much obliged.

Just now, I noticed that the moldings on the stair landing that I reused are darker than the new stairsteps which are natural-color oak. In daylight, the moldings which match the rest of the existing stained doors and trims throughout the house did not look so dark. Hmmm... Should I ignore this color mismatch?

The moldings look like they match the hand rails and are supposed to be that way. I'd leave them like they are.

The stairs look great. How did you fasten them? A brad nail gun?
Old 02-06-2016, 08:11 PM   #269

Yes they look good to me but I know what you mean. When I know that something is not quite right...

So last night I went to a Junior C hockey playoff game and then went to my son's soccer game. Hockey was good. Soccer game was a bit one sided but son's team won.

Today I bought a new dishwasher off Kijiji (Canada's eBay classifieds) and installed it. Seems to be working well.

Tomorrow I have a room to paint.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:15 PM   #270
Moderator Emeritus

We did one of our One Day Ham Classes today. 7 AM to 6 PM. We had 67 students or test takers, and about 85% passed the license examination. Many of the students were from emergency services providers or Community Emergency Response Teams. I'm tired, but feel pretty good about the day.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:23 PM   #271
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
The moldings look like they match the hand rails and are supposed to be that way. I'd leave them like they are.

The stairs look great. How did you fasten them? A brad nail gun?
Thanks. I will let it be for a while, and if it still bothers me, I will head to Home Depot to get a new length of molding.

Yes, I used a brad nail gun, but also put down some old-fashioned floor adhesive to be safe.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-06-2016, 08:27 PM   #272
Give me a forum ...

My Craftsman C3 cordless brad nailer is one of my new favorite tools. Very handy. I can't imaging going back to doing finish nails with a hammer and nail set.... neanderthal ...... I was always poor with the nail set anyway.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 02-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #273
Give me a forum ...

I have a pneumatic 2-in-1 brad/staple nail gun from Harbor Freight. I bought it on sale quite a few years ago, and could not have paid more than $30.

It served me faithfully for many home projects, and the only drawback is that I have to haul indoors my portable compressor which weighs 50 lbs.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-06-2016, 09:49 PM   #274
Give me a forum ...

Very nice stairs, NW-Bound. I especially like the light that not only provides more safety on the stairs (very important!), but also shows off the wood nicely.

And I agree, the moldings look just fine to me. They are a little darker but I think they look very nice.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-06-2016, 09:55 PM   #275
Moderator Emeritus

Nice stairs, NW! Are the treads one piece? If so, how did you do the landing? Multiple pieces?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-07-2016, 05:55 AM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Started out, I was just going to get the mail.

Then I noticed the neglected apple trees. I should have been pruning them, but never have. After reviewing University of Youtube, I pruned two apple trees.

The black spray I put on the open cuts also said it seals gutters, so I climbed on the roof and sealed a leaky gutter. I noticed one span of gutter that I hadn't removed this season's leaves, so I cleared leaves from the gutter.

Even though I hadn't gotten the mail yet, I was distracted by some white specs in the gutter that looked like insulation, and sure enough, the tree rats got into the attic again! This time in a new spot. After attending U of Y again, I made and installed a one-way squirrel door.

DW interrupted me before I could put away the ladder and asked me to help with her bathroom project, so I installed two new LED light fixtures. Ladder still outside, I did a quick craigslist post (free-stuff) to get rid of the old fixtures, towel bars, etc.

As I was putting away the ladder, I heard the spigot on the side of the house hissing, and sure enough, the last freeze caused it to leak, so I replaced the valve seat washer on the outdoor spigot. The mailbox, still unchecked, I finally went out there.

I saw the mail truck come and go, but peering in the mailbox? Nothing. So I failed to get the mail.
Thank you for reminding me why we don't own a home any more! LOL I'm tired just *reading* about your day.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:57 AM   #277

NW Bound, To me, the molding should be white to match the other molding. The darker molding jumps out at you, at least in the picture.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:09 AM   #278
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I have a pneumatic 2-in-1 brad/staple nail gun from Harbor Freight. I bought it on sale quite a few years ago, and could not have paid more than $30.

It served me faithfully for many home projects, and the only drawback is that I have to haul indoors my portable compressor which weighs 50 lbs.
I bought a small cheap pancake compressor from Harbor Freight with one of their 20% off coupons just so I don't have to carry the heavy one. Works great. Lot of little projects get done now because it is easy to carry the nailer and the compressor.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:24 AM   #279
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Much obliged.

Just now, I noticed that the moldings on the stair landing that I reused are darker than the new stairsteps which are natural-color oak. In daylight, the moldings which match the rest of the existing stained doors and trims throughout the house did not look so dark. Hmmm... Should I ignore this color mismatch?

Looks fine to me.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:30 AM   #280
Administrator

I would paint the trim white, but, as the French say, à chacun son goût.