Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 04:35 PM   #301
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Called around to get quotes for some service done on my car. I'm having a hard time finding an independent honda mechanic so I call a few dealers. One gives me an outrageous quote and senses that I think it's way too much. Service rep then says we price match everybody except for the place in lemon grove. Duh. Where does he think I'm going to call next
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2016, 04:39 PM   #302
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You should have said "Oh, ok. Do you happen to know their phone number?"

It would have been interesting to hear the response.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 02-08-2016, 04:42 PM   #303

Yeah that would have been funny. Unfortunately I'm terrible at coming up with witty comments like that on the fly -- a skill I wish I had :->
Old 02-08-2016, 06:20 PM   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Called around to get quotes for some service done on my car. I'm having a hard time finding an independent honda mechanic so I call a few dealers. One gives me an outrageous quote and senses that I think it's way too much. Service rep then says we price match everybody except for the place in lemon grove. Duh. Where does he think I'm going to call next
Are you in the San Diego area (lemon grove was a clue)? If so - back when I had a Honda I'd always take it to JC Honda in kearny mesa. Not always the cheapest - but consistently did the job right. (And definitely cheaper than the stdealerships.)

That said - it's been 10 years since I used them. But my boss also used them.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I'm jealous of all the people filing their taxes already.
It will still be another week or so before Fidelity sends out 1099s.
Schwab says "late February".

I have my first pass of taxes done - but waiting for the official documents (vs my records.)
Old 02-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #306
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Skiied. Midweek ski days are the best! Plenty of long open runs with very few people. I avoid weekends, preferring the quiet and solitude of less crowded slopes.
We had a 36" dump at the resort one week ago today, so the snow and the weather are fantastic right now. I run into other young (and old) retirees on the slopes who also feel grateful to ski midweek days regularly.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:05 PM   #307

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Are you in the San Diego area (lemon grove was a clue)? If so - back when I had a Honda I'd always take it to JC Honda in kearny mesa. Not always the cheapest - but consistently did the job right. (And definitely cheaper than the stdealerships.)
Thanks for the tip -- I will check them out. I hate going to dealers but I didn't see any independent honda shops in my area that actually had good reviews. There's one around the block from me but they were actually more expensive than the dealer (plus not great reviews).

Currently we're living in North Park and we should be here until at least Dec. My wife was getting tired of us moving frequently so we decided to do an extended stay. Next we're planning on going to Portland but since the wife seems to like SD so much I'm not certain we'll move on.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:35 PM   #308
Moderator Emeritus

Went to breakfast with some friends. Found out I won the Superbowl final score pool! My $5 entrance fee tuned into $200!
Old 02-08-2016, 08:55 PM   #309
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
I bought a small cheap pancake compressor from Harbor Freight with one of their 20% off coupons just so I don't have to carry the heavy one. Works great. Lot of little projects get done now because it is easy to carry the nailer and the compressor.
I just saw this post - I have that little compressor, and love it. I don't use it often, but it's so small, it's great for my air nailers.

IMPORTANT TIP: I read this on the forums or reviews, forget where, and it is buried in the manual, but not on the "Quick Start" tag. You are supposed to run it for something like 30 minutes, with the valve wide open, so that it is running w/o any pressure build up. This is supposed to be important to break it in properly. Probably not too late if you only used it a bit.

I haven't used mine enough to judge, but so far so good.

-ERD50
Old 02-08-2016, 09:22 PM   #310

It was 83 here in Southern California. I was at a Senior Center preparing taxes for seniors and Low income people. My clients ran the gamut from very simple W-2's to my last client, who brought all his documents in a grocery bag with the envelopes unopened!
Old 02-09-2016, 08:28 PM   #311
Moderator Emeritus

Today over a million happy parade goers lined the five mile parade route that passes a half block from our homes, so things were pretty lively around here during the parades.

Oh, and I finished e-filing my taxes! It is always such a wonderful feeling to be done.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-09-2016, 08:41 PM   #312

I just got my tax data from Morgan Stanley . I sold a mutual fund and had to enter the data in three places as A,D and E. What a PITA.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:46 PM   #313
Moderator Emeritus

Visited my former coworkers. Became a NOAA NWS Chicago area storm spotter.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-10-2016, 05:06 AM   #314
Give me a forum ...

After I finished the stairs, I felt pretty good and gung-ho, so tackled a few more smaller projects on the home interior and got really busy. I just now get back to this thread, and thanks for all the comments.

Several have suggested that the pieces of molding on the stair landing should be white, and I agree. Those are the original moldings, and match the color of the interior stained doors. I just nailed them back at the end of the job, but now see that they have become the unintended highlights of the stairs, and so must go. Not just painting them white, but I am going to replace them with a smaller cove molding which is even more innocuous.

About the compressor that I used to run the nailer, I weighed it out of curiosity and found that it is 62 lbs. It's still portable but unwieldy enough that I am reluctant to lug it around the house for smaller jobs. I thought of getting a smaller compressor whose price was too good to refuse. The problem is I have run out of space to store my toys, er tools. I already have two 2-HP compressors, one at each home, and have to think hard about getting a 3rd. Yes, going to Harbor Freight is like a kid going to a candy store, and I need to exercise self-control.

To answer a question by Ronstar, I did not use solid oak threads. That was my preference, but then I would have problem laying out the landing to match the same thickness. So, I found oak stairnose pieces at Lowe's that matched the thickness of the engineered wood planks that they also carried, and those were what I used.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-10-2016, 06:58 AM   #315
Give me a forum ...

Consider a cordless battery brad nailer... I have a Craftsman and it is great for trim and light brad jobs... lightweight and takes up little space. And mine uses the same 19v batteries that my cordless drill and other cordless tools use.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:56 AM   #316
Give me a forum ...

I looked that up after seeing your first post mentioning it, because I had not known they made such a thing. But at that price of near $200, it's too luxurious for me. I do not use this tool all that often, else it would be worth it.

Most of my wood working is in the garage where that monster 2-HP compressor resides. And I think I more likely buy the $50 small pancake compressor also in use by other posters if I need something light. I am just too cheap.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-10-2016, 09:01 AM   #317

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
buy the $50 small pancake compressor also in use by other posters if I need something light.
I use one of those for many air-powered tools, including a full size nailer. At times I have used it for hours at a time, and find it quite adequate for my needs.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:07 AM   #318
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I looked that up after seeing your first post mentioning it, because I had not known they made such a thing. But at that price of near $200, it's too luxurious for me. I do not use this tool all that often, else it would be worth it.

Most of my wood working is in the garage where that monster 2-HP compressor resides. And I think I more likely buy the $50 small pancake compressor also in use by other posters if I need something light. I am just too cheap.
Much less than $200... currently $134 on sears.com for the one I have, but I understand. I bought mine for a big (for me) project finishing off the garage loft which had a lot of trim and it was well worth the money compared to using finish nails and a nail set since I don't have an air compressor or any other air tools.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:08 AM   #319
Give me a forum ...

For running most air tools and inflating car tires, the smallest compressor will suffice as long as it can build up sufficient pressure (100 psi or so). The 2-HP I bought is the largest one that can be plugged into 115V outlets, and I like to use the blow gun to clear dust. Then, I found that it was too puny to do sandblasting!

Old 02-10-2016, 02:02 PM   #320

E-filed the federal taxes and printed out the state forms to be mailed tomorrow. I am not paying $19.99 for E-filing the state forms like TT wanted!