Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-13-2016, 05:44 PM   #341
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of my neighbors was over fishing at Lake of the Woods for a few days and had a fish fry this afternoon. Lots of excellent Walleye filets and side dishes. Someone was there from Colorado and brought some very good herbal edibles to share. Just walked home and am sitting here with some coffee flavored Patron over ice and a Mobile Fidelity LP “Darkside Of The Moon” on my turntable. Next I have to search Netflix for a good movie to watch tonight. It’s only 2 degrees outside but its been a very pleasant day

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2016, 07:09 PM   #342
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Went for a nice 6 mile hike with a couple of friends at Bird Rookery Swamp. It was a beautiful day. Saw a few gators, a roseate spoonbill, tons of herons, egrets, and ibises, and also saw a few coons and other birds. We had a very close encounter with one big gator, and another with a red shoulder hawk. Also got to watch a pileated woodpecker giving a piece of wood on the ground/water a good workout.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1021.jpg (1.05 MB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1046.jpg (606.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1099.jpg (742.4 KB, 23 views)

Old 02-13-2016, 07:16 PM   #343
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
One of my neighbors was over fishing at Lake of the Woods for a few days and had a fish fry this afternoon. Lots of excellent Walleye filets and side dishes. Someone was there from Colorado and brought some very good herbal edibles to share. Just walked home and am sitting here with some coffee flavored Patron over ice and a Mobile Fidelity LP “Darkside Of The Moon” on my turntable. Next I have to search Netflix for a good movie to watch tonight. It’s only 2 degrees outside but its been a very pleasant day

So the fish wasn't the only thing fried...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:25 PM   #344
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Have you tried sync'ing Dark Side with The Wizard of Oz? Sounds like a good way to spend a cold evening.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:27 PM   #345
Full time employment: Posting here.

I volunteered on The local tourist railroad. I was the docent for passengers wanting to ride the caboose. The highlight is to ride up in the cupola
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 999590.JPG (43.8 KB, 25 views)
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:01 PM   #346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Thanks splitwdw. You are right about plowing being hard on a person. I'm pretty well beat after a day's plowing. And that's without any snow shoveling! That truck has an extra heavy weight package with an extra leaf on all four springs and F350 break calipers in the front. It rides like a buck board.

I don't have much in the way of steep drop-offs or anything, but there are ditches on the sides of the road which is usually what I get stuck in while one side of the truck is buried in 2 or 3 feet of snow . My place is right in the middle of the Ranch, so I'm usually within a mile of home.
The last big snow (24") we had in Pennsy wasn't as deep as what you got but I was sore the next day. I'm not that big and our snow blower is big and all the controls are made for a man's hand. My hands ached the next day from being stretched to reach the controls. I was outside for 5 hours. I don't like to stop until I'm finished. We don't get enough snow to make a plow for my truck worth while and as you said, plowing is hard on your vehicle.....I've got a pretty truck and want to keep it that way! I've only gotten to use my 4wd once and that was in our parking lot at work. After our 24" snow on Saturday, we get to work on Monday and they only plowed part of the parking lot. There's limited parking so I parked in the area they didn't plow and needed my 4wd to get back far enough. Oh well, keep safe.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:30 AM   #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
So the fish wasn't the only thing fried...
Yes, the fish had fried company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Have you tried sync'ing Dark Side with The Wizard of Oz? Sounds like a good way to spend a cold evening.
I haven't heard of syncing those two things but I don't have a copy of Wizard of Oz. I guess it might be on Netflix but I haven't searched for it, I was never really a fan of the movie.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:27 AM   #348
Recycles dryer sheets

Made these No Bake Date Bars, ongoing arsenal in my efforts to stop eating sweets (I like sugar a bit too much, and it for sure doesn't like me in return). These date bars are naturally sweetened, and thus don't ignite my sugar demon.

I then put together the dough to surprise DH with fresh baked white chocolate/cranberry/oatmeal cookies for Valentines Day. He loves these cookies, me not so much (more of a dark chocolate fan) so I know they'll be 'safe.'

Spent the rest of the day decorating, ushering, serving, then dancing, at a Sweetheart Concert, Dinner & Sock Hop our Lifelong Learning program organized.

Today we are prepping the RV for a 2 night getaway to the beach, where we'll hike by day and dine out by night.

Life in FIRE is good!
Old 02-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #349
Administrator

It was 5 below zero when I got up this morning. When left to go to church, the car said "nope." So I had to get the young wife's car out of the garage and jump mine. I guess its getting to be time for a new battery. This one is 8 years old.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:11 PM   #350
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post

Quote:
I haven't heard of syncing those two things but I don't have a copy of Wizard of Oz. I guess it might be on Netflix but I haven't searched for it, I was never really a fan of the movie.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark...of_the_Rainbow

Never tried it myself...

I "highly" recommend Disney's Fantasia...

Old 02-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #351
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Henna tattoo from yesterday.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1455485330384.jpg (26.2 KB, 30 views)
Old 02-14-2016, 04:25 PM   #352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
It was 5 below zero when I got up this morning. When left to go to church, the car said "nope." So I had to get the young wife's car out of the garage and jump mine. I guess its getting to be time for a new battery. This one is 8 years old.
You have a better story than I... Yesterday morning I started to go out and could not find my keys (senior moment). I finally decided to check and see if I left them in the Jeep. Yep. They were in the ignition in the "on" position. You guessed it. Dead battery. No problem though. My sports car was in my garage and facing the Jeep. Just pull it out and an easy jump. Nope. Sports car had a dead battery. I had to walk up the hill and get the plow truck, run it through a snow berm to where I could jump the Jeep. Got it going and after it charged for a while, jumped the sports car and let it run for a while.

All that pretty well covered the morning. I used to hate having to chalk this kind of thing up to me just being somewhat absent minded. Now I can call them "senior moments"! I like that much better.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:56 PM   #353

DW and I went to lunch with a long time friend who taught me to fly in 1975. He's a year younger than me and is not a candidate for ER - loves his job, gets along well with coworkers, and says company management treats everyone well. He's an aircraft mechanic and flight instructor, teaches part time, and recently bought a project airplane to rebuild, a 1930's Taylorcraft. He's currently finishing up repairs to a Cessna 182RG that landed gear up, an expensive repair, and showed us that.

He recently had his 15 minutes of fame when AOPA (Aircraft Owners and Pilot's Association) published an article on him and a repair to a light airplane. We spent a good two hours at a restaurant just catching up.

Oh, BTW, he's the pilot of the airplane in my avatar.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:59 PM   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark...of_the_Rainbow

Never tried it myself...

I "highly" recommend Disney's Fantasia...
Very interesting. I also am a fan of Fantasia
Old 02-15-2016, 09:24 AM   #355
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
...loves his job, gets along well with coworkers, and says company management treats everyone well.

Rarer than a bigfoot sighting...

Old 02-15-2016, 05:13 PM   #356

I decided to change up the morning routine and instead of our normal 2-mile loop through the neighborhood, I took our little dog on what I thought would be a nice walk on a trail at a nearby park. The reviews warned about the trail crossing a creek several times, but said many well-placed rocks made the crossings not a big deal, and it hasn't rained here for 6 weeks so I figured we'd be fine. Ha.

Well...my sneakers got wet at the first crossing, and I got lots of practice balancing precariously on small rocks as we progressed. I soon realized that hiking shoes would have been a better choice, as my sneakers slid on the wet rocks. But we enjoyed meeting lots of folks out for a holiday morning stroll, many with kids and dogs. I decided to forego the last 3/4 mile and turn around early, which was a good thing, because when we got back to the parking lot, I realized that the car key was no longer in my front pocket. Yikes!

I figured it had fallen out in one of my inelegant moves at a crossing, so faithful dog and I retraced our steps. In the meantime, I texted DH and asked him to bring my spare key. After looking at all the crossings several times, I realized I had taken a different route across one of them the first time, and sure enough, there was the key in the water between a big rock and the shore. Since it's one of those electronic key fobs, I was pretty sure it would be toast after an hour+ in the drink, but when I got back to the car, it actually worked fine. Called DH and told him to turn around. When I got home, I opened the case so that it could dry out. I'll put it back together tomorrow and hopefully it will be fine. So our nice little 2 mile walk turned into a 4 mile adventure. Dog really needs a bath but figured he was already traumatized enough so I'll do that tomorrow.

Finished a report and registered for a conference for one of my volunteer gigs. Made Swiss steak for dinner tonight - it's simmering in the Dutch oven now. Choir practice after dinner. I'm tired just writing this!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:28 PM   #357

Plowed yesterday's 4" snowfall from our driveway so that DW would have a clear drive to exercise class. Ran on the treadmill, went to the chiro, did some yoga, and spent the afternoon napping.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-15-2016, 07:06 PM   #358

Played dodge kiddies at the skating rink. There were about 40 + a few adults, as it happens on most school days out.

Excellent practice for keeping track of simultaneous multiple targets fast moving little ones and enhancing my extra sensory perception of ones out of my filed of view.

Succeded with zero collisions over two hours. Just a few near misses requiring instant stops or spin outs for avoiding wiping out the little tykes.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:25 PM   #359
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Went out to dinner and then to a concert by the young Italian trio "Il Volo". .
Quei ragazzi possono cantare!

Those boys can sing!
Old 02-15-2016, 07:44 PM   #360
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Quei ragazzi possono cantare!

Those boys can sing!
Veramente. Mi piacciono molto.