Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-15-2016, 08:12 PM   #361
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
.... Went out to dinner and then to a concert by the young Italian trio "Il Volo". A very nice day.
Don't understand Italian, yet appreciate their performance

I like to skate to this tune, a Pavarotti version.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2016, 08:24 PM   #362
Administrator

That is a great performance, and one I have not heard before. The lyrics are in Spanish, not Italian.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:41 PM   #363

Gym day, was going to return some books to the library but they wimped out with the 3" of snow/ice we got and were closed. Stop by the grocery store and then home.

DW spent a couple of hours shoveling ice/snow (snow thrower wouldn't have worked anyway on the ice) but knowing the weather was going to be much warmer I took the Marion Barry approach to snow removal.* By 4:00 PM all the ice and snow was gone.

*Marion Barry, former mayor of Washington, D.C. was in FL during a particularly heavy snowfall, which the city roads department handled badly. Asked by a reporter what his snow removal plan was, he replied "Spring".
Old 02-16-2016, 04:50 PM   #364
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I took the Marion Barry approach to snow removal.*
*Marion Barry, former mayor of Washington, D.C. was in FL during a particularly heavy snowfall, which the city roads department handled badly. Asked by a reporter what his snow removal plan was, he replied "Spring".
Where I come from, that was referred to as the John Lindsay method of snow removal. Lindsay, when mayor of NYC, was raked over the coals for woefully inadequate snow removal after a major storm in the late 60s, and his reply was "God put it there, and God will take it away."
Old 02-16-2016, 06:26 PM   #365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
That is a great performance, and one I have not heard before. The lyrics are in Spanish, not Italian.
OOOppps!. Well, that proves I don't understand Spanish either. I know a few Spanish words, they were not in song.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:17 PM   #366
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
OOOppps!. Well, that proves I don't understand Spanish either. I know a few Spanish words, they were not in song.
Otra cerveza, por favor?
Old 02-16-2016, 07:51 PM   #367

Dropped the kids at the bus stop on my way to walk the pooch at the beach.
Wanted more exercise so used the elliptical. Spent a few hours reading a mystery novel I'd picked up at the library. Picked up the kids at the bus stop, took them to the library and herded them through piano practice/homework. (Older one is still working on homework.)

Fish for dinner tonight - yum. Mahi mahi.

Tonight younger son has basketball practice so I'll chauffeur him there and back.

(Our neighborhood is not well served by the public bus - the bus stop is more than a mile away.... it saves ME time to have them take the bus, so I accommodate them with pickup/drop off from the stop.)
Old 02-16-2016, 08:13 PM   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Otra cerveza, por favor?
The little Spanish I know, No comprende senor.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:10 PM   #369

Went skiing today. It was a good day. Warm with nice packed powder. One knee is a little sore. It will be fine in time for the next day of skiing.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:02 PM   #370

ROMEO meeting at the local Burger King started with a serving of Manny Randazzo King Cake, flown in from New Orleans by UPS especially for us (haha).

https://www.randazzokingcake.com/

We have a New Orleans member and he was nice enough to spring for the $52 to acquire the cake. With the sugar high from the cake, I am set for the day!

reg_cake__18644.jpg
Old 02-17-2016, 02:20 PM   #371

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
ROMEO meeting at the local Burger King started with a serving of Manny Randazzo King Cake, flown in from New Orleans by UPS especially for us (haha).

We have a New Orleans member and he was nice enough to spring for the $52 to acquire the cake. With the sugar high from the cake, I am set for the day!

Attachment 23257
Can I assume you didn't give up sweets for Lent this year?
Old 02-17-2016, 02:22 PM   #372
Administrator

I love Randazzo's King Cakes! They are the Real Thing.

Didn't have any this year, though. Trying to drop a few pounds or at least not gain.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:51 PM   #373

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

What is a King Cake? Is it bread or like a coffee cake?
Old 02-17-2016, 02:52 PM   #374
Full time employment: Posting here.

Working in the shop today. Cutting out a small stool on the CNC machine, think I finally have the plan and jig figured out.

We did stop down at our river camp this morning to check how high the water was flowing. River is at the 10ft stage, flood stage is 15ft. In the picture, the tree that is fully surrounded is usually about 5 feet from the waters edge, our dock would be under about 5ft of water if it was still in the water. This is runoff from the over 30" of snow we had last week along with a heavy rain yesterday. The river has crested and was already back down over a foot this afternoon according to the NOAA website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camptoday.JPG (131.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 02-17-2016, 03:04 PM   #375

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
What is a King Cake? Is it bread or like a coffee cake?
Right here:

Quote:
The King Cake is a fluffy cinnamon flavored sweet Danish dough that is hand-braided, topped with Mardi Gras colored sugar, baked and iced with our famous fluffy white icing and topped with the purple/green/yellow sprinkles. New Orleans, Louisiana is considered the King Cake capital of the World, due to its large Mardi Gras tradition. The King Cake can also be filled with various fillings such as cream cheese, apple, lemon, strawberry, or our New Orleans Times-Picayune award winning “Pecan Praline” King Cake.
Quote:
The King Cake tradition is thought to have been brought to New Orleans from France in 1870. A King Cake is an oval-shaped bakery delicacy, crossed between a coffee cake and a French pastry that is as rich in history as it is in flavor. It's decorated in royal colors of PURPLE which signifies "Justice," GREEN for "Faith," and GOLD for "Power." These colors were chosen to resemble a jeweled crown honoring the Wise Men who visited the Christ Child on Epiphany. In the past such things as coins, beans, pecans, or peas were also hidden in each King Cake.

Today, a tiny plastic baby is the common prize. At a party, the King Cake is sliced and served. Each person looks to see if their piece contains the "baby." If so, then that person is named "King" for a day and bound by custom to host the next party and provide the King Cake.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:05 PM   #376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Can I assume you didn't give up sweets for Lent this year?
No, and glad I didn't!
Old 02-17-2016, 03:12 PM   #377
Give me a forum ...

Cashed in my pennies at at local Coinstar for an Amazon credit - $47 worth. I can't remember why I collected them.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-17-2016, 03:42 PM   #378
Full time employment: Posting here.

Even here, in still-frozen MN, we have King Cakes down at the local (scrumptious) bakery! It is a fabulous bakery and the King Cake they make looks like the one pictured, so I assume it might be at least semi-authentic.
Every year I have a good intention of giving up sweets for Lent, but between girl scout cookies, king cakes, and the world's greatest chocolate bar kids at my door it lasts about 3 days. Oh well, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. . .
Old 02-17-2016, 03:53 PM   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Even here, in still-frozen MN, we have King Cakes down at the local (scrumptious) bakery! It is a fabulous bakery and the King Cake they make looks like the one pictured, so I assume it might be at least semi-authentic.
Every year I have a good intention of giving up sweets for Lent, but between girl scout cookies, king cakes, and the world's greatest chocolate bar kids at my door it lasts about 3 days. Oh well, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. . .
There are lots of imitation King cakes out there. We even have them here in Texas at Kroger. But to get the real deal (with the cup and beads).......New Orleans.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:16 PM   #380
Recycles dryer sheets

Slept in, after lunch (late breakfast or early lunch?) fielded a call from "the US Treasury" telling me I owed $5k for my 2012 taxes and if I didn't pay up immediately, I would be arrested. They had my phone #, my address and my complete name. They didn't have any indication that I was married, and according to the caller, I had just ignored the numerous letters they sent to my home. When I asked for details on the return (I was the preparer and it is my return), he told me it was confidential! After about 10 minutes, I got bored with the call and hung up. I then proceeded to go to the IRS website and filled out the phishing alert form. Then spent an hour explaining to DW that I am NOT going to be arrested for failing to send these guys $5k+ via a prepaid credit card! Decided to work on the family's taxes and had a problem with my son's return. Finished the day with over an hour on chat then hold to find out that the best solution is to re-create his return and reenter all of the information .

Shouldn't have gotten out of bed!