Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-21-2016, 04:31 PM   #421
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Today I flew in a WW2 B-25 bomber

Very cool. One of those things that I would be afraid to do, but would do it regardless because...how often does one get the opportunity?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2016, 04:33 PM   #422
Recycles dryer sheets

Today we sat on the beach until I noticed the rain about a mile away over the ocean. We hustled back to the hotel and made it without getting soaked. One more day here where it's warm before we have to head back to reality.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:54 PM   #423
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Today we sat on the beach until I noticed the rain about a mile away over the ocean.
Were you on Bondi Beach?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...?frame=3493672
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (242.9 KB, 31 views)
Old 02-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #424
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Were you on Bondi Beach?

Yikes! No, we are in Puerto Rico and the rain I saw was no where near as scary as that photo.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:11 PM   #425
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Meadbh, That's a shelf cloud, isn't it? Very cool.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:14 PM   #426
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

That was from November, not today

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2016, 06:26 PM   #427
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
That was from November, not today
Thank you, I was aware of that. I was just trying to be funny. Silly me.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:33 PM   #428
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thank you, I was aware of that. I was just trying to be funny. Silly me.
It's funny. Not your post, although that was cool. I was thinking about the difficulty people have interpreting internet posts due to the lack of visual confirmation/body language/audible intonation. Since we're well on the way to having the internet become the communications method of choice, will later generations become more able to interpret nuances in print? And will they also lose the ability to interpret in person communications nuances? I doubt I'll be around long enough to see it, but it's an interesting (to me at least) thought.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:55 AM   #429
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Today I flew in a WW2 B-25 bomber
Now that looks like fun!
Old 02-22-2016, 08:27 AM   #430
Recycles dryer sheets

Today is/will be a good example of one person's diverse day in ER- up early to 1) work on my Spanish homework and 2) get dinner in the crockpot, before we head out for our weekly Monday morning 10 mile conditioning hike. Quick lunch after at Chipotle, then home to shower and head out again to my Monday afternoon Lifelong Learning Spanish class (I attend three Spanish classes a week through this program, plus one online tutoring session). After class we rip home to get dinner completed and ready to serve to our monthly bookclub.

This month the club read Moonstone by Wilkie Collins, about a stolen Indian gem, so dinner is Indian themed - Chicken Vindaloo, Basmati rice, cucumber salad and naan bread. Dessert will be banana cake with cream cheese frosting that I baked last night.

I'm currently addicted to doing puzzles on my Kindle, so I'll likely work on one after dinner for a bit until it's lights out.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #431

Skated. Showed a young lady some tricks. Figure skating tricks.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:15 PM   #432

DD came down to visit for the weekend. We went to the cinema to see "Deadpool" and then had an enjoyable dinner out.

Deadpool was fun to watch, especially for anyone interested in learning new insults or obscenities.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:16 PM   #433

Cleaned a couple of 38's and 22's. Relaxing task, taking them apart and putting them back together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1969.jpg (581.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-22-2016, 05:25 PM   #434

Typical ROMEO breakfast at Burger King this morning. I introduced a new potential member who recently lost his job at age 64. Gotta love the energy industry these days. He is now an official retiree with Cobra insurance. Seeing he is a newcomer to the group, he is in "Interloper" status for a while.

Members attempted to tell some of the same stories they told before and were quickly cut off. The big topic for the day was.....well, I can't remember..

On with the rest of the day. DW had a stress test in the morning for her upcoming colonoscopy. Not your typical stress test, but an injection that apparently stresses the heart for a while. Apparently, when you get old enough, you have to do this before being accepted for the colonoscopy. That was news to me.

A friend and I went to Harbor Freight in the afternoon to pick up a few tools and supplies as I am helping him resurrect a 1991 Ford RV (30 foot job) that has been sitting for 5 years. This could be a long project.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:32 PM   #435
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
... I am helping him resurrect a 1991 Ford RV (30 foot job) that has been sitting for 5 years. This could be a long project.
Yep, long and potentially frustrating if moisture has invaded the RV structure, which it almost certainly has if it has been stored outside and not had the roof carefully maintained. Good luck.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 06:20 PM   #436

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep, long and potentially frustrating if moisture has invaded the RV structure, which it almost certainly has if it has been stored outside and not had the roof carefully maintained. Good luck.
Yes, it's been full of surprises so far (2 months). Everything is rusty, but the price was right.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:30 PM   #437

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Yes, it's been full of surprises so far (2 months). Everything is rusty, but the price was right.
Reminds me of the Jaguar joke, There is nothing more expensive than a cheap Jaguar.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:36 PM   #438

Tax time

I spent the day at the local Senior Center as a volunteer preparing taxes for seniors and low income people.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:16 PM   #439

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The motor home I currently call home is a 1985. It had sat for probably over 10 years, but the engine had been started from time to time. It didn't leak when I got it, but with the drive up to the mountains to its present spot, I had roof leaks. My first attempt was with a very expensive sealer from the motor home place. Worked sort of for that first summer. The next spring it was leaking like a sieve. I used a roof sealer from the hardware store that was clear and came in both calk tubes and more liquid 1 gallon cans. Less than half the cost of the motor home place and I have not had a leak since. This is my second winter of full time in it. Here in Colorado, the air is so dry that there is not a mildew smell. I don't think this rig is road worthy, so I don't know how the sealer I used would stand up on the road.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:29 PM   #440
Give me a forum ...

It's tough to live in a motorhome or any RV in a real winter location. The 1" thick wall does not provide much insulation. The builder of my high-country home lived in a trailer while working on a home he was building after mine. One night when it dropped below 0F, he and his wife cried murder and fled to the lower elevation the next morning.

I guess if you have electric hookup plus a propane heater, it would help. The cost of heating can be huge though. I read the blog of a Canadian RV'er who decided to tough it out somewhere south of Calgary one winter. The propane bill to heat a class C was several hundred a month, as much as it cost to heat a home.