Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-22-2016, 10:20 PM   #441
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It's tough to live in a motorhome or any RV in a real winter location. The 1" thick wall does not provide much insulation. The builder of my high-country home lived in a trailer while working on a home he was building after mine. One night when it dropped below 0F, he and his wife cried murder and fled to the lower elevation the next morning.

I guess if you have electric hookup plus a propane heater, it would help. The cost of heating can be huge though. I read the blog of a Canadian RV'er who decided to tough it out somewhere south of Calgary one winter. The propane bill to heat a class C was several hundred a month, as much as it cost to heat a home.
I just happen to have the latest bill for propane in front of me - $137.78. First fill up since October. Including this bill I have paid a total of $282.48 for propane in the last 12 mos including $24.70 for tank rental. Electric for the 12 mos is $945.98 including a little over $10 per month for the separate power up at the house. I keep the place between 68 and 70. The electric heater I got at Costco varies that much. The furnace is set at about 68 so it kicks on when it is too cold for the little electric heater by itself. I'm pretty cozy and it isn't too hard on the billfold either.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2016, 10:44 PM   #442
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's not bad at all. The Canadian RV'er I talked about built a skirt around the RV to help shield its bottom. It was perhaps colder there, because the outside propane tank often refused to gasify and she had no propane flow even though the tank was half-full.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:16 AM   #443

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
That's not bad at all. The Canadian RV'er I talked about built a skirt around the RV to help shield its bottom. It was perhaps colder there, because the outside propane tank often refused to gasify and she had no propane flow even though the tank was half-full.
That must have been cold. I skirted my motor home with 1 inch aluminum foil faced foam.

Last winter it got down below -20 several nights and was down in the -5 to -10 range during the night quite a bit. I used a second electric heater for those nights. The only time I was not comfortable was when the electricity was out for 5 days but that was in the Spring and it was not that cold. This year was not so cold with just a few nights below zero.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:36 PM   #444

Made a library run, and dermatologist's office for a checkup and have some keratosis frozen off. Ouch! But only for a short time. Dropped off the pickup for the state inspection and tire rotation.

And stumbled across yet another article praising the virtues of chocolate: Eating Chocolate Regularly Is Good For Your Brain, Says Science Good thing I stocked up before the rush starts!
Old 02-23-2016, 05:25 PM   #445

Had two kitchen appointments scheduled for today. Refrigerator had been making odd noises for a week or so and so I scheduled them to come out and check it out (based on Google, it looked likely to be an ice buildup on the fan, which seems to be a design flaw in these Samsung fridges - at least ours lasted 6 years before the problem came up). Tech ordered the parts and warned us that it might seize up anytime. He couldn't have been 3 miles away when the crunching noise told us it happened. They agreed to overnight the part in from KY for $25 so hopefully it will be fixed tomorrow afternoon. Fortunately, the freezer has a separate cooling system so it's working OK.

Afternoon was more fun - I splurged to buy a new Bosch dishwasher because the Samsung I bought when we remodeled 6 years ago I have never liked. I made a big mistake not taking our dishes to the showroom to see how they fit - and they have never fit well. When the adjustment on the top rack broke, that was that. So I took my dishes to BestBuy this time and picked a Bosch. Installer ran it for a test cycle and I could barely hear it run at all. They were here and gone in less than 30 minutes, which was amazing to me.

Time to fix dinner and get ready for the endowment committee meeting at church tonight.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:57 PM   #446

Skied today with DD and her boyfriend. It isn't easy for an old man to keep up with twenty somethings. I'm tired.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:07 PM   #447
Recycles dryer sheets

We got home from Puerto Rico last might, so I've been busy this morning doing laundry and getting groceries.

My daughters stalked my Amazon wish list to get me a birthday present. I had heard rave reviews of the Instant Pot, so put it on my wish list while I researched and decided if I wanted one. Well, one showed up on my doorstep the day before we left on vacation. I'm not sure I would've bought it for myself but since it's here I'll give it a try. I spent some time searching Pinterest for recipes while we were away. I just made macaroni and cheese in it, which we will have for dinner tonight with turkey drumsticks (also to be cooked in the IP).
Old 02-24-2016, 12:31 PM   #448
Give me a forum ...

Mailed in the state taxes. I've filed electronically for so many years that it felt weird doing it on paper. But since we moved last year we were part-year residents of two states and neither one lets you e-file if you're not a full year resident.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:55 PM   #449
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Called several painting contractors to come out and give me estimates on painting the exterior of our house. Had to work to find a couple willing to come out here in the sticks to take my money.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:13 AM   #450

This showed up in my email this morning, apparently by way of Facebook. I'm not even ON Facebook! (but I did have the pleasure of seeing the original guys just before Christmas) This is a version by Nicki Bluhm and The Gramblers. Helps to have spies out there!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #451

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
This showed up in my email this morning, apparently by way of Facebook. I'm not even ON Facebook! (but I did have the pleasure of seeing the original guys just before Christmas) This is a version by Nicki Bluhm and The Gramblers. Helps to have spies out there!
Nice! Kazoo solo!

If this came via FB you must have had an account in the past. Remember, FaceBook, like herpes, is forever.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:19 AM   #452

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Nice! Kazoo solo!

If this came via FB you must have had an account in the past. Remember, FaceBook, like herpes, is forever.
Well, I'll have to take your word on STDs. I just searched for the band (new to me) on YouTube.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #453
Give me a forum ...

I saw her/them last year at Delfest. They put on a good show.

Hall and Oates are going to be at Okeechobee Fest when I go next week. Not a band I was ever interested in, but I saw a Daryl's House episode on MTV recently, and maybe I'll enjoy it more than I thought.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #454

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Well, I'll have to take your word on STDs. I just searched for the band (new to me) on YouTube.
My experience is with Facebook. The other I've just heard.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:24 PM   #455

Last night we took the train into the city to see the touring production of Dirty Dancing. Tonight we are seeing Hair again. We saw it last week and really enjoyed the music and dancing.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:48 PM   #456

Took a walk in a beautiful 60 degree sunny day. Being retired is so nice.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #457

Went skiing again yesterday. Clear skies, no wind, in the thirties nice packed powder. The vistas from the top of the mountain were totally awesome. Every ski day is great, but some are more perfect than others!
Old 02-26-2016, 12:00 PM   #458

Day off from work and was expecting to do a few chores and put in serious time on a freelance.

But...FIL called last night. Couldn't get any output from his keyboard. He did clean it, with no luck.

Grabbed a spare keyboard and shot over to the residence. He obviously spilled something on the keyboard. Looked like whiteout. Also said he cleaned the entire keyboard but that did not help. He showed me the Green Works spray bottle he used.

Afterwards he spoke about some serious end of life matters. I love that man. This is a sad day, but I don't mind at all.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:13 PM   #459
Full time employment: Posting here.

Got Schwab accounts and deposit set up. Made initial fund purchase. First time back in the market since.....2011?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2016, 03:52 PM   #460

DW bought a Samsung galaxy tablet. Spent a good bit of yesterday and today trying to figure out how it works. It is Android OS.

Set up the secure wifi acces of the device to the house's router, piece of cake. Disabled a bunch of helpful reporting (spying) features.

Seems google had everything neatly sown up on the device. But DW wanted Firefox on it. Google would not allow Firefox install without setting up an account. She did not want a google account. Or gmail, what to do?

Well, found a third party online program that got Firefox downloaded, and is now installed. Then she wanted her bookmarks. FF has a neat sync feature which handily did the deed. Though this version of FF seems to have different setups than windoze version. Anywhoo, it is done. Naturally adblock plus was added.

Next she wanted her email accounts. Some fiddling, that too is done. Pretty easy that was.

Hardest part was figuring out where the "Master" sync feature was turned off.

It is now in her hands and happily exploring.

Another tech support job.