Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-26-2016, 04:16 PM   #461
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hermit, Where are the pics?

Target2019, That was a good deed you did for your FIL.

Dixonge, This is your first time back in the stock market since 2011? Why was that?

Is99, Can I borrow you? My husband has no interest in learning the setup of our electronics. I get it done but it takes me forever plus many calls to my 12 yo nephew.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2016, 04:57 PM   #462
Recycles dryer sheets

I was fairly busy today. I assembled two swivel bar stools for our counter top eating area. I wired an additional light fixture in the attic to give us more light. As a favor, I cut down and removed a smallish pine tree for our neighbor then worked a little on removing the remnants of a very large stump near our driveway. In my workshop Iím redesigning the layout of my tools so I cut down a 10 ft counter top into two 5 ft sections. Then stained some IPE trim for a honey-do project coming up. Re-programmed the alarm system in our house to shorten the extry/exit time. Swept the garage. Rebuilt the pump sprayer then sprayed the yard for weeds.

A normal day around here. How did I ever find time to work!

Old 02-26-2016, 05:16 PM   #463
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just purchased two one gallon tomato plants and transplanted them. I am so glad I do not get those dinky 4 inch pots any more!
These plants are about 2 feet high
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:36 PM   #464

Busy day today. Early am walk with the pooch on the beach. Huge waves had all the surfers out. Came home and worked out on the elliptical. Showered and made it to Costco at opening time. Made it home, got groceries stowed before heading out to meet a friend to see Deadpool. Had to leave straight from there to go to pickup the kids at school - with just enough time to stop and get milk at Sprouts. Kids are home - but I'm about to head out to take older son to spanish tutoring. When that's over we'll have dinner then head out to younger son's basketball game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
DD came down to visit for the weekend. We went to the cinema to see "Deadpool" and then had an enjoyable dinner out.

Deadpool was fun to watch, especially for anyone interested in learning new insults or obscenities.
That made me laugh. My sons really want to see it. Now that I've seen it - NO WAY. Not teenager appropriate at all (my boys are 13 and 15). My friend had the same opinion (and also has a 13 year old boy who's dying to see it.)
Old 02-26-2016, 09:24 PM   #465

I put a new AM/FM radio in my friend's 1994 Cadillac Sedan Deville. The OEM radio lost it's tuner and was humming on AM stations. The unit I put in was a Pioneer with Bluetooth and all kinds of goodies and inputs. The mounting kit that came with the radio did not match up with the dash opening so I had to fabricate mounting brackets and fit it to the kit face plate and mount it into the available space. It looked just fine when finished.

I also installed (earlier) a new aftermarket power antenna fitted to the rear fender. All works better than original and now he has Bluetooth for his phone and an AUX and USB inputs for devices.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:25 PM   #466

Took the pooch for a beach walk at dawn. Then started working on our summer vacation plans. No 9 week trip in 5 countries this year... Just a simple 3 cities over 2 weeks. DC/Philly/NYC. I was surpised to see airfare dropped below what I'd been seeing...so once I booked the flights I felt free to start locking in the paid locations in DC and NYC. (We're sponging off friends/family for the week in Philly.)

Now DH is watching a hockey game and I'm surfing the net and hanging out here.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:26 PM   #467
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Dixonge, This is your first time back in the stock market since 2011? Why was that?
Oh my. Well, I have some reading for you. It's quite educational, really, and covers seven years in 11 pages...

Our Insane Emergency RE Strategy
Old 02-27-2016, 10:48 PM   #468
Recycles dryer sheets

Help son and dil move. They have an 18mth old and another due in two weeks. Been working a lot the last few weeks getting the house ready and now was move in day. Looong day!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-27-2016, 11:08 PM   #469

DW and I met my buddy's son (Navy pilot) and his trainee at the airport, inspected their plane, and took them to dinner.

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Old 02-28-2016, 12:23 AM   #470

Today we took a stroll through a Japanese Garden and then attended a community theater play.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:20 PM   #471
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Success!
After weeks of experiments and many good-but-not-great meals, I finally perfected my homemade pastrami. Every bit as good as what I used to get at a NYC deli, and the first bite took me back there.

The key, I think lies in two of the steps. Forget about starting with supermarket corned beef; you have to get a good brisket and corn it yourself.

The other part is the rub. This was a stepwise progression as DW and I discussed the finer points of my various attempts. But when you get it exactly to your taste it's awesome!

Another master recipe for my file. Now if I could only get some good NYC rye bread for a sandwich here in flyover country I'd be all set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pastrami.jpg (440.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 02-28-2016, 04:43 PM   #472

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Another master recipe for my file. Now if I could only get some good NYC rye bread for a sandwich here in flyover country I'd be all set.
Sounds like the next project to me. Could it be done in one of those bread making machines?
Old 02-28-2016, 04:57 PM   #473
Give me a forum ...

Led a 5.5 mile hike in the snow for the Sierra Club. Amazingly, it was 64 degrees here in SE Michigan, today. We use Meetup to organize the hikes and it draws in a pretty nice cross section of ages, education levels and nationalities.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:15 PM   #474
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Success!
After weeks of experiments and many good-but-not-great meals, I finally perfected my homemade pastrami. Every bit as good as what I used to get at a NYC deli, and the first bite took me back there.

The key, I think lies in two of the steps. Forget about starting with supermarket corned beef; you have to get a good brisket and corn it yourself.

The other part is the rub. This was a stepwise progression as DW and I discussed the finer points of my various attempts. But when you get it exactly to your taste it's awesome!

That looks so good .
Old 02-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #475
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Sounds like the next project to me. Could it be done in one of those bread making machines?
As a matter of fact, yes!

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1456758528.687957.jpg

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:39 AM   #476

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
As a matter of fact, yes!
I'm standing by for a picture of the perfect corned beef on the perfect rye!
Old 02-29-2016, 11:25 AM   #477
Give me a forum ...

What's this about avoiding red meat?

I try not to stare at the photo, nor look on the Web for how to make my own.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:50 PM   #478

Went to the bank to change the checking account to "senior checking" (checks are free) and applied for SS online. I guess that officially makes me an "old guy".
Old 02-29-2016, 12:53 PM   #479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Went to the bank to change the checking account to "senior checking" (checks are free) and applied for SS online. I guess that officially makes me an "old guy".
Yep! Welcome to the club!
Old 02-29-2016, 01:34 PM   #480

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
What's this about avoiding red meat?

I try not to stare at the photo, nor look on the Web for how to make my own.

Missing the fourth one with covering the nether regions. Do No Evil