Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 12:53 AM   #601
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
This is where we get our chocolate. https://www.tazachocolate.com/ The Mexicano discs are the best ever. We usually order an entire case at a crack. We took a special trip to Boston to visit their factory, which is really cool. There is a short video on this page that shows the factory processes. https://www.tazachocolate.com/pages/our-process
That video was neat, I am not much of a dark chocolate kinda guy. How does it compare to milk chocolate by Lindt/Lindor
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2016, 01:11 AM   #602

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
I occasionally fantasize about getting one of these:

3 Wheeler

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
That and the polaris look pretty cool, I probably couldn't fit in them though Here is my 3 wheeler, a Spyder.

It is fun to ride, planning on getting it out for the season tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0240.jpg (613.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-13-2016, 06:51 AM   #603
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
After lunch, we stopped in the Goodwill and I got a couple of records. Right now, I'm listening to Jimmy Buffett's Living and Dying in 3/4 Time .
What! How could someone give up a classic like that. Obviously put there by someone who does not want their spouse dreaming of running off to the islands! Thankfully you recused this in time.

I still keep a crate or two of my favorite records. Occasionally we will break out the turntable, open a bottle of wine and enjoy some classic vinyl.

And in keeping with the thread, yesterday was so nice outside that we did some yard work. After that, a neighbor invited us for a long relaxing boat ride. Back to our deck for drinks and snacks. Finished the day in the kitchen by making dinner. A very tasty shrimp & lemon pasta.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #604
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Stuff like this is "gold" for us old timers. Gettin' hard to keep up with today, so we take our pleasures where we find 'em.
The treasure hunt part is half the fun. We went to a library used book sale yesterday and bought a big bag of new to us books and DVDs for mostly 50 cents to a $1. The DVDs are often fairly recent so the price comes out comes out cheaper than even Redbox. When we are done with the DVDs and the fiction books they get redonated.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 03-13-2016, 02:25 PM   #605
Administrator

Just filed our '15 taxes and received the "accepted by the IRS".
Old 03-13-2016, 11:08 PM   #606
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Celebrating.

DW was made redundant today (the result of the business she worked for being sold). Between the redundancy package and the garden leave, she is getting about 10 months salary + vesting of unvested contributions to her retirement scheme .....

..... and she has already sent off her first applications for a new job.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:55 AM   #607

This morning I am looking forward to testing my shin-splints-recovering legs on a slow 3 mile run after two successive days of walking first one, then two, miles without residual pain. Fingers crossed, because being off my legs for the last two weeks has been making me batty, time at the gym doing yoga and on a recumbent bike notwithstanding. Hiking in our local canyons for hours a day is one of the best parts of being FIRE'd, and I miss it dearly.

Lunch out with a friend, then a book club dinner gathering tonight. In between I'll be working on a photo book of our recent trip to France, typing up the notes from a recent boardmeeting I volunteer for, and doing a couple hours of Spanish homework.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:15 AM   #608
Recycles dryer sheets

We plan to celebrate Pi Day today. Full report later.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #609

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
We plan to celebrate Pi Day today. Full report later.
If Rodi doesn't help you in that celebration, she will have to change her tag line!
Old 03-14-2016, 04:44 PM   #610
Give me a forum ...

I had a big piece of pie to celebrate Pi day.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:03 PM   #611

3rd day post-dorsal cheilectomy. As per doctor's instructions, I removed the bandage today and was able to take a shower. That felt wonderful. Some tingling and the foot is swollen, but no pain. Still, hanging around the house with the foot elevated 95% of day and night is really tough.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:30 PM   #612
Give me a forum ...

I was surprised to see stock prices stopped moving at 1PM local time, instead of at 2PM as it should have been. Hmm... Could it be daylight savings time adjustment again? Yes, it surely was on yesterday, Sunday 3/13.

We do not honor stinkin' daylight savings time here in Arizona, along with Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the United States Virgin Islands.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
AARP Tax time
Old 03-14-2016, 07:04 PM   #613

AARP Tax time

I volunteered at a Senior Center to prepare taxes for Seniors and low income taxpayers.
The lowest AGI was $2700 and the highest was 98K. We are open to all, regardless of income
Old 03-16-2016, 02:11 PM   #614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
If Rodi doesn't help you in that celebration, she will have to change her tag line!
I prefer to celebrate Tau day - 6/28.... twice the pie.

Today I took the 3rd exam in my 3rd semester Italian course. I know I blew one section (when do you use che, vs chi, vs con cui/di cui/a cui, vs quelloche....) But I aced the indefinite articles, negative expressions (non... affatto, non...mai) and I knew the vocab inside out.

Now I'm celebrating some good news with DH - we're enjoying a lunch of reheated beef stew. LOL.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:26 PM   #615
Give me a forum ...

Played golf this morning. Didn't play well but a pretty day. The pollen is really coming down now. Not good for my sinuses. Just got through mowing my grass and edging. It sure is nice having small lot to maintain. About 15-20 minutes to mow and 10-15 minutes to weed eat. I think I'm going to like my decision moving to a patio home.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:45 PM   #616

Magnificent day on the slopes. We had 7" of new snow last night between midnight and 6 am, then the sun came out at breakfast time and it was just a gorgeous day. One more day in the Rockies, then I'll have to head back to flyover country. I may only get out here once a year but it's still well worth it.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:30 AM   #617
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Played golf this morning. Didn't play well but a pretty day. The pollen is really coming down now. Not good for my sinuses. Just got through mowing my grass and edging. It sure is nice having small lot to maintain. About 15-20 minutes to mow and 10-15 minutes to weed eat. I think I'm going to like my decision moving to a patio home.
Yeah, we're about a month away from leaving our FL 1280 sf home on 1/8th acre (mostly patio) lot to return to our MD 4400 sf home on 1/2 acre mostly lawn lot. Other than the incredible views, I'm not really looking forward to it. It's just a lot of work, inside and out. As the renown philosopher Danny Glover was fond of saying, "I'm getting too old for this ****."
home maintenance, not my favorite way to spend time!
Old 03-17-2016, 09:25 AM   #618
Moderator Emeritus

home maintenance, not my favorite way to spend time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Yeah, we're about a month away from leaving our FL 1280 sf home on 1/8th acre (mostly patio) lot to return to our MD 4400 sf home on 1/2 acre mostly lawn lot. Other than the incredible views, I'm not really looking forward to it. It's just a lot of work, inside and out. As the renown philosopher Danny Glover was fond of saying, "I'm getting too old for this ****."
Believe me, I can relate to that! Actually IMO *ANY* age is too old for spending a lot of time working on one's home. Contrary to popular belief, there is so much more fun to be had in retirement if one is not chained down to one's home and yard maintenance. Or at least that is my opinion.

With any luck, eventually we all become elderly. An "elderly friendly" home implies (to me) not just grab bars, no steps, and lever handles. It also implies as close to zero maintenance as possible. For some, a condo is the best solution. A small SFH such as what you have in FL can be pretty close to zero maintenance too, or else made that way with some planning and expense if it is not already.

Yes, I am a homebody but even I don't like doing maintenance chores or yard work. I have a small lot like Dawg52, but unlike him, my choice is to hire somebody to mow and edge even my small lot. That costs money ($35/mow), but in my case, given how much I hate mowing, I can't imagine a better way to spend it than on a lawn guy.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 03-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #619
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post

I feel your pain. We're about 10 minutes away from leaving our AZ condo to return to IL, where I'll be doing 35-40 hrs a week of yard work until Halloween.

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Old 03-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #620
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I feel your pain. We're about 10 minutes away from leaving our AZ condo to return to IL, where I'll be doing 35-40 hrs a week of yard work until Halloween.
Ugh, my sympathies. The life of a snowbird doesn't sound very easy. Or at least, maintaining two homes and yards sounds like it can sometimes be more work than I'd prefer to do.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Closed Thread