Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-17-2016, 11:33 AM   #621
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We actually really like gardening, but it's getting harder as I get older. I've been noticing that I'm having difficulty lifting the large 2 cu ft bags of dirt. But they charge like 50% more for dirt in 1 cu ft. bags, and I'm super cheap fairly frugal so I hate paying the difference. When we do a project like laying a paver path, I can really feel it over the next few days. And putting down mulch in all the beds we've created in that half acre lot is just really time consuming. Plus all the planting of annuals. And then trim everything back at the end of the season and haul the debris away. Every year, lots of repetitive work. But we certainly love the beauty of the beds when we're finished. And at least we don't have a lot of trees anymore, so I don't have to worry so much about leaf removal.

I think it's just the contrast between the two homes that's got me down a bit. This little place is so easy to care for, and the big place, while incredibly beautiful, is a lot more work. Someday we'll downsize up north too, but I'd hate to lose those views.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #622
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I think it's just the contrast between the two homes that's got me down a bit. This little place is so easy to care for, and the big place, while incredibly beautiful, is a lot more work. Someday we'll downsize up north too, but I'd hate to lose those views.
Surely there's got to be a small home somewhere up there, with beautiful views that you like just as much and a low maintenance yard?

Or - - since you like gardening (I don't), maybe what you really need is a deluxe garden wagon to help you carry those big bags of mulch around and so on? Or maybe just bite the bullet and buy the smaller bags, and save money elsewhere. Small bags of mulch are cheaper than a new home.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:01 PM   #623

Received the letter from SSA that they're soon going to start sending me money every month. I'm not sure what we'll spend it on but I might break down and hire a lawn service. Overall, finances are in better shape than we'd planned on so there's some wiggle room for frivolous extravagant luxuries.

And maybe buy that 10-pound chocolate bar. It's always good to have a goal, right?
Old 03-17-2016, 06:38 PM   #624
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Received the letter from SSA that they're soon going to start sending me money every month. I'm not sure what we'll spend it on but I might break down and hire a lawn service. Overall, finances are in better shape than we'd planned on so there's some wiggle room for frivolous extravagant luxuries.

And maybe buy that 10-pound chocolate bar. It's always good to have a goal, right?
Get the lawn service!!

I am so glad I got a lawn service. To make up for lost exercise, I joined the gym. I am in a lot better shape when I am going to the gym regularly, than when I am just mowing regularly.

BOTH the lawn service and the gym together, cost me $1939/year, probably less than just one of your SS checks. It not only makes life more fun, but also I don't have to worry any more about dropping dead mowing the lawn on a hot summer's day. To me that always seemed like such an ignominious way to go.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:56 PM   #625
Give me a forum ...

No lawn, no service at both of my homes.

The high-country home is all natural landscape with evergreen trees. The native vegetation is left alone to control soil erosion on our hillside. I sprayed weed killer on the gravel driveway and pulled up some, and that's done once a year.

The low-desert home has all gravel yard, though my wife likes gardening and we have some trees, shrubs, potted plants, etc... These are a lot lower maintenance than grass. My wife also grows some vegetable.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:15 AM   #626
Give me a forum ...

Endoscopy yesterday. Ugh.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:28 AM   #627
Recycles dryer sheets

AM run, no leg pain, so continue to keep fingers crossed that I'm in shin-splints recovery mode. DH dropped me at our local auto repair shop to pick up the Beemer, which after two full days without generated several thoughts - 1) We will likely never become a one car household, and 2) We will most definitely never again buy a high performance vehicle given how expensive dealing with any auto issue is compared to a 'normal' vehicle.

Zipped off to meet a new university arts group I joined for a day long excursion to an art museum. It was a great time, and I was blown away by the knowledge of the collective group. I'm somewhat new to the arts, and have much to learn, but am thoroughly enjoying the process.

Finished up the day making dinner with my DH, who has expressed interest in learning how to cook. We made stirfry cashew chicken over brown rice, and it was fun to see how proud he was of the final product as we sat down to eat.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:03 AM   #628
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Took the gf out for St. Patrick's Day and corned beef and cabbage at local Irish bar. She had the corned beef and cabbage, which was very good. I had a sausage sandwich and a pitcher of Pabst which were also very good. Then went to see a movie. It was a fun day.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #629

I pulled some kids and their pickup out of deep snow yesterday. Most of the roads were dry, but on untraveled roads, there tend to be deep drifts here and there. They found one about 4 feet deep and maybe 100 feet long. The trouble was they had gone down a very steep hill with about a foot of snow on it and couldn't get back up so they tried to go farther down the road where they got really stuck.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:05 PM   #630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Endoscopy yesterday. Ugh.
Hope everything was fine. Why the ugh?
My girlfriend can't stand having them done (any test for that matter) but she's a worry wart. I've had them before and had no problem. Maybe because I don't worry about having it done and am relaxed or great doc.

Hermit, That was a nice deed you did, pulling the kids out of the snow. I saw your other post. Did it snow all day?
Old 03-18-2016, 05:40 PM   #631

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
... Hermit, That was a nice deed you did, pulling the kids out of the snow. I saw your other post. Did it snow all day?
Its still snowing! I spent about 3 hours plowing roads. Its hard to plow when the roads are not frozen. I move a lot more dirt around than I would like to, but if I don't plow the snow melts on the roads and they get too muddy. It is supposed to get warmer for a few days then possibly a large storm the middle of next week.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:51 PM   #632

Exciting news in our family this week. DD is engaged. Her fiance is a very nice young man who even asked me for her hand in marriage. I think she is more excited than I am!

I tried to post to a thread about wedding costs from last summer, but after I checked the box that I knew it was an old thread I was told I couldn't post because it was old and it ate my post. Oh well.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:15 AM   #633

Went running, picked up our mail that was on hold, visited my former co-workers, picked up some walnut and maple at the hardwood store for some woodworking projects, inspected a friend's house under construction, went out for dinner. Trying to adjust to CDT in chilly Illinois after winter in warm AZ.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:30 AM   #634

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Exciting news in our family this week. DD is engaged. Her fiance is a very nice young man who even asked me for her hand in marriage. I think she is more excited than I am!

I tried to post to a thread about wedding costs from last summer, but after I checked the box that I knew it was an old thread I was told I couldn't post because it was old and it ate my post. Oh well.
Congrats, Hermit, on daughter's engagement.
Can't help on why you couldn't post on an old thread.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:26 AM   #635
Recycles dryer sheets

Morning gym workout, Spanish class, lunch with a girlfriend, nap ( ), optometrist to assist DH in picking out new frames, grocery shopping for an upcoming 9 day RVing trip to Palm Springs and San Diego, then dinner and a movie - The Big Short - back at the house.

We traditionally try and work our way through the Oscar nominees each year after they've moved to NetFlix/Redbox. I thought The Big Short was very clever in it's mortgage-meltdown-for-dummies approach. I enjoyed it, even as it made me shudder in remembrance.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:43 PM   #636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post

Congrats on the wedding news, Hermit!

If you tried to post in the pre 2016 version of the "What did you do today?" thread, it has been closed due to it's size.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:49 PM   #637
Recycles dryer sheets

Recovering from a power outage. It is nice to have an almost whole house generator, but when the power came back, I realized that there must have been a power surge at some point. Probably lost about $500. Treadmill circuit board is fried. So is one of my surge protectors (saved the TV) and the controller for the heated mattress pad is gone.

Due to the power outage, we did not cook the corned beef and cabbage on Thursday, so we did that today. It was very good. As I told my DW, her worse cooking is better than almost anything we can get eating out. We're in the process of renovating a house and have been super busy so we've unfortunately been eating out too much. It was nice today to just regroup, get some rest and eat a good meal.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:34 AM   #638
Full time employment: Posting here.

I started learning to ski a couple of months ago and today I went on my first blue runs. I'm pretty happy how well it went. I was lucky that I did a private lesson, otherwise I wouldn't have made nearly as much progress and probably would still be skiing green runs.

The only downside is the skiing season is almost over. I'm already looking forward to next year.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:32 AM   #639

Very, very happy day. Received word that our grand son,who is graduating from IMSA , just received word that he has been granted a full boat "Stamps" Scholarship... tuition, room and board, books (and a computer), living expenses, and an opportunity to spend a paid overseas experience during summer break.
Our kids have two others in college now, at the same time, so this has been an incredible help to their plans for retirement. Grandson is very aware of the cost of college, and has worked hard to earn his way. Will graduate with a 3.9 avg out of 4, in addition to being a class officer, counselor and member of multiple school clubs. His current hope is for a Medical Degree, and possible future with Doctors Without Borders. (Fluent in three languages)

We're so proud.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:00 PM   #640
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Hope everything was fine. Why the ugh?
I have them for a reason and I blanch every time I go in anticipation of bad news. It was not really a big deal this time. The prep liquid was not as bad as anticipated. It just smelled like latex gloves and the taste was not too awful. I started early as several here suggested and it went easy (but resisting solid food was anguish).

Everything appears to be fine, though. Thanks for asking. Everyone should do this for their own long-term safety.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote