Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 04:48 PM   #741
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Such a beautiful California day here in the foothills, so today I went skiing and when I got home around 1pm, DW and I took the top off our Suzuki Samurai and drove out to Amador County Flower Farm for a picnic.

The Samurai was my winter project. I completely restored it. Just finished reinstalling the transmission after rebuilding that and a new clutch, and now we get to play with it!

(I found the Samurai in Nevada sitting behind a barn. I have no idea how long it had been sitting there, but the dry climate sure was nice to it. After some buffing, that's the original paint you see there; black.)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2016, 05:08 PM   #742

That is a really neat barn find! But I guess they usually are or they wouldn't be "finds".

Still, it has to be exciting to come across something like that and put it back on the road.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:24 PM   #743

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Such a beautiful California day here in the foothills, so today I went skiing and when I got home around 1pm, DW and I took the top off our Suzuki Samurai and drove out to Amador County Flower Farm for a picnic.

The Samurai was my winter project. I completely restored it. Just finished reinstalling the transmission after rebuilding that and a new clutch, and now we get to play with it!

(I found the Samurai in Nevada sitting behind a barn. I have no idea how long it had been sitting there, but the dry climate sure was nice to it. After some buffing, that's the original paint you see there; black.)

That looks really sharp! How about a pic with the top off?

Does this mean the ski season is over?
Old 04-05-2016, 05:42 PM   #744

Posting from a hospital bed again. Monday afternoon the pain got so bad we went to the ER, they did yet another ultrasound looking for a blood clot or something to account for the source of all this pain. After doing another, they did find a psudoaneurysm. The local hospital cannot do this specialized procedure so they amublanced me down to another one in Virginia. Collectively they've tried the "wait and see if it resolves on it's own" approach, the "ultrasound-guided compression repair" (Ouch!) and tomorrow they're going to try the ultrasound-guided compression repair. If that doesn't work it is surgery. This is wearing thin and not at all what I anticipated in retirement.

OTOH, I'm grateful that I live in a part of the world where this medical care is available and that I have good insurance that will make it easily affordable for me. Apart from sporadic episodes of short duration I am in little to no pain and they give me some nice drugs to take care of it. But dagnabit, they're still refusing my takeout requests for the drugs. And no wine list with dinner, can you believe it?! Yes, I know, first world problem.

All in all though I still don't make this out to be more than a mid-range irritant/inconvenience. Yes, there is risk of anything happening in surgery, but this is almost to the level of about routine, not ground-breaking or anything, the hospital staff are great, so I'm optimistic for a good outcome and hopefully I'll be out and recovered soon, camera in hand, getting some late-spring flower photos.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:51 PM   #745
Recycles dryer sheets

Good luck walt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2016, 05:54 PM   #746

Good luck, Walt. How's the wife handling it?
Old 04-05-2016, 06:00 PM   #747

I'll be looking forward to seeing those pictures! Hope you get out of there soon.

BTW, you're making my complaints about the weather seem pretty trivial.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:01 PM   #748

Thanks for the good wishes all. DW is handing it as well as can be expected, she knows that this is not outwardly life-threatening but still, she worries, as anyone would. One of her sisters is a retired nurse so there is that source of information to go to, and of course she does. If nothing else the SIL knows the vocabulary and where to look for valid information and what to ignore as nonsense.

All in all I'm optimistic I'll be out in a day or three and hopefully done with the pain.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:16 PM   #749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I broke a glass, one of a pair of low ball glasses I had carried from Ohio in my shoulder bag.
For some reason this made me cry

I need to find another garage sale so I have a pair of glasses for sipping/toasting.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Check out the local goodwill store also if you have one nearby. That's where I got mine recently

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-05-2016, 08:44 PM   #750
Moderator Emeritus

Hang in there Wait! Things like this happen and before you know it, you will be out enjoying the sunshine.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:25 PM   #751
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I broke a glass, one of a pair of low ball glasses I had carried from Ohio in my shoulder bag.
For some reason this made me cry
Isn't it strange sometimes the things that can catch us completely unawares emotionally?
Old 04-05-2016, 10:38 PM   #752
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Walt - Hope you are better soon.

Today's main events was going out to a Mexican restaurant with live music on the patio for for Taco Tuesday. Afterwards we took a stroll around the downtown area.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 04-06-2016, 04:12 AM   #753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
All in all though I still don't make this out to be more than a mid-range irritant/inconvenience. Yes, there is risk of anything happening in surgery, but this is almost to the level of about routine, not ground-breaking or anything
Routine? Well, maybe for them. Take care of yourself and do what they ask. Best of luck.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:04 AM   #754

Sorry to hear about your medical issues, Walt. Thanks for providing the link, because I have never heard of it. I hope that it resolves and you don't have to have surgery.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:29 AM   #755
Administrator

Went through 2 more car dealers yesterday. The total is now up to 6. Half don't have the car they say they do, the other half introduce new "fees" into the sale after everything has been agreed. What is it with car dealers?
Old 04-06-2016, 06:34 AM   #756
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
..........What is it with car dealers?
What is it with rattle snakes? You feed them and cuddle them and then they bite you.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:37 AM   #757
Give me a forum ...

What I found when we were doing our search is that most of the models on the lots are loaded up with expensive options that I didn't want to pay for so we ended up ordering our new car so we could get it just the way we wanted.

Also, I called a number of nearby dealers and asked them for an out-the-door price so I was comparing apples to apples. It ended up that the best price my local dealer could do was $250 more than a dealer about 2 hours away but I decided to pay the $250 and go local.

When we went to close the purchase we had the obligatory meeting with the F&I guy for him to pitch us on add-ons. I was patient for a while but eventually told him that while I got a little impatient and nasty and told him that I understood that he had to do his spiel that I wasn't interested in any of the add-ons and would reject every on so let's not waste our or his time and it went faster after that.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-06-2016, 06:50 AM   #758
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Also, I called a number of nearby dealers and asked them for an out-the-door price so I was comparing apples to apples. It ended up that the best price my local dealer could do was $250 more than a dealer about 2 hours away but I decided to pay the $250 and go local.
I've been to every dealer in a 40 mile radius except one - prior experience keeps me away from them. Getting the out the door price is unbearably difficult. The thing I don't understand is why the process is so laden with misdirection and deceptive pricing. Seems to me this is a choice the seller makes.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:54 AM   #759
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Michael, if you are a USAA or PenFedCU member, try their car buying service (it appears they both use the same process). I've used USAA twice and been very happy with the reduced hassle - although the finance guy still tried to talk me into add-ons. Still, a much improved process compared to walking in off the street.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:03 AM   #760
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Went through 2 more car dealers yesterday. The total is now up to 6. Half don't have the car they say they do, the other half introduce new "fees" into the sale after everything has been agreed. What is it with car dealers?
They are a treat to deal with. I've only had one good experience. When I bought my truck on a phone call. They gave me a firm price on the phone. My trade in complicated it a bit, but the whole ordeal only took a couple of hours when I got to the dealership.
Closed Thread