Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 06:40 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I ordered something today I'd been thinking about for months: a new iPod Touch, 128 GB. The Touch has been my go-to device for years (I was a stubborn holdout on smartphones although I caved in June 2014).

One difference between the Midwest and Southeast is that it seems to me that wall-to-wall carpeting is way more prevalent in the former, I suppose because of the climate differences or just regional preferences. Back there, I could drop the Touch to my heart's content and it didn't blink. Not so after the move, it cracked and spider-webbed real fast (the phone has been guarded since purchase by an Otterbox case).

So now I await the new guy's arrival and you can bet this time it'll be wearing a new suit of clothes from day 1.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2016, 08:20 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I ordered something today I'd been thinking about for months: a new iPod Touch, 128 GB. The Touch has been my go-to device for years (I was a stubborn holdout on smartphones although I caved in June 2014).

One difference between the Midwest and Southeast is that it seems to me that wall-to-wall carpeting is way more prevalent in the former, I suppose because of the climate differences or just regional preferences. Back there, I could drop the Touch to my heart's content and it didn't blink. Not so after the move, it cracked and spider-webbed real fast (the phone has been guarded since purchase by an Otterbox case).

So now I await the new guy's arrival and you can bet this time it'll be wearing a new suit of clothes from day 1.
Great! I love those Otterbox cases. They may not look great, but have saved my phone several times.

Usually I buy myself a present in January, to celebrate making it through the holidays and beginning a new year. This year I haven't thought of anything yet. I have an iPhone and a Sandisk mp3 player, so I don't need an iPod Touch. Still thinking about what to get. It's a rough life, I tell ya! (jk!)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-07-2016, 08:46 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Woke up at midnight. Thought I would make use of my time so I rebalanced my portfolio for the year. Figuring out exactly what amount to move is too much hassle, so I just pick round numbers that will come close across 401k and IRAs and plug them into the 401k. After the dust settles, Quicken tells me how close I came to hitting the allocations. Good enough for me.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

A wet rainy day here in the land of perpetual sunshine. A day like this makes one grateful for not having to drag himself to work.

I just made a pot of onion soup while watching my stocks dropped. It's still too early for lunch, yet I feel too lazy to go upstairs to start laying the laminate floor.

PS. Back down for lunch break, after getting the room 2/3 done. Would be done if I did not have to cut the boards with a circular saw. The radial arm saw was too heavy to lug it up.

PPS. Get the room done, except for the closet. I have worked too hard. I may have to reward myself with a day off tomorrow.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #65

Out of the house for the first time in ~6 days because of the head cold. Well, other than the trip to the ER Sunday for the A-fib and high heart rate. Picked up a couple of prescriptions, returned four books to the library and picked up four more, and bought some LED bulbs at Lowes. Used one to replace a burned out CFL in the post light by the driveway.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
Did a self health-assessment for my BCBS plan which added $50 to my Wellness Card.
Determined to lose 10 pounds!
Walked 2 hours (5.6 miles) hilly terrain.
Checked to see if the link between my Elements Financial CU HSA account and TD Ameritrade was set up and ready to go - not yet.
Read a few chapters in my book group book - Richard Russo - Empire Falls.
Going to art reception and talk at 5:30.
Home for dinner and a quiet evening.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:50 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I have had a 2nd generation iPod Touch for years and it has been a wonderful device. Small, easy to use, no extra charges. I even used it overseas to make call over hotel wifi.

Alas, its days are numbered. The very old OS no longer works well with modern devices and services. Youtube won't function on it and most apps are not made for it anymore. Even the old apps run so very slow as to be near useless. Still, I may keep it around just to do email and send messages.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:40 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Alas, its days are numbered. The very old OS no longer works well with modern devices and services. Youtube won't function on it and most apps are not made for it anymore. Even the old apps run so very slow as to be near useless. Still, I may keep it around just to do email and send messages.

Yes, on all counts. My first was a 3rd generation that couldn't update to the latest iOS. That caused me to buy a 5th generation (my current one, now Old Spiderface), which will give way to this 6th generation.

Another thing I thought about was not knowing the future of the iPod lineup, at least the Touch. They really are nice, smaller, slimmer, and lighter than the iPhone. Free wi-fi is growing so I could use it while out and about but it's mainly my convenient at-home device. Apart from this time of year where I'm on a desktop more frequently, I do almost everything on the Touch.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:22 AM   #69

Lots of snow this year, today I went skiing. 4th time this season, shooting for 30 days before it's over.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:54 PM   #70

Grocery store run. For some reason there was an unusually large number of idiots just standing in the aisles pondering the mysteries of the universe. Can't they do that at home instead of blocking the aisles?
Old 01-08-2016, 02:58 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Grocery store run. For some reason there was an unusually large number of idiots just standing in the aisles pondering the mysteries of the universe. Can't they do that at home instead of blocking the aisles?
Calm down, Walt. I've learned from experience that some of those folks are just mesmerized by an excessive number of options to choose from.

If your DW sends you to the store to get "some flour" and you find yourself faced with 40 or 50 types, it can be seriously daunting. Same for things like "cooking oil" or "salad dressing" or so many other commodities.

In recent years, whenever I go into the local supermarket, which is one of those enormous places that has probably 50 aisles and sells everything from lettuce to shoes, I just automatically put a smile on my face as I enter and spring-load my default reaction to "laugh out loud". This has helped me keep my sanity and I recommend it.

Before I discovered this little trick, I used to get far more annoyed at people than you are.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:03 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

bought 50 powerball tickets
Old 01-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I have had a 2nd generation iPod Touch for years and it has been a wonderful device. Small, easy to use, no extra charges. I even used it overseas to make call over hotel wifi.

I love my old Gen 2 Touch, but I quickly learned that every time I updated an app, the new one did not work and the old one was gone forever. Gotcha! Kinda soured me on buying a new one. For now it is a podcast device, for which it works very well.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:10 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
bought 50 powerball tickets
I was thinking of it, but I'm close to going into the next tax bracket and didn't want to chance it.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:12 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Na. They were engineer types trying to determine which choice was the best value. (Analysis Paralysis)
Old 01-08-2016, 03:13 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I was thinking of it, but I'm close to going into the next tax bracket and didn't want to chance it.
a guy at my golf club hit the powerball several years ago, real nice guy

he said he spends most of his time avoiding lawsuits
Old 01-08-2016, 04:08 PM   #77
Administrator

Took DD and the 2 grandkids to the airport this afternoon after a 3 week visit. I miss them already - but not so much that I want them to stay any longer.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:50 PM   #78

Went to the beach to watch the super-el-nino-storm-surge waves. No beach to walk on but still got a good walk through the chi-chi neighborhood.

Came home cleaned 2.5 bathrooms. (we have a 2.5 bath house.) In theory the boys are supposed to clean the hall/guest bathroom - but boys are gross and I have to go in and de-funk it to better standards. Yuck. On the plus side, our new, almost finished, master bathroom was sweet to clean.

Treated myself to a starbucks house coffee on my way to get the kids at school. That's a rare splurge for me - usually I'll put on a Moka pot in the afternoon if I need some caffeine.

Tonight - younger son has the first basketball game of the season at the local rec center. He's the only 7th grader on his team - the rest are 8th graders... but he's taller than all but 1 player. It will be fun to watch.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:45 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Verified my 401k money rolled over into my IRAs, got some medical tests through Lifeline, called to make a doctor appointment for a cervical epidural, talked to my father in law to find out a resident of his retirement home shot himself in the lobby...listened to the local news about the Philly cop that was attacked...feel blessed for what I have and realized how quickly the things you cherish can be taken away.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-08-2016, 08:11 PM   #80

I spent 6 hours in Tax class, so I can volunteer helping seniors and low income people file their taxes. This is a joint AARP/IRS program
Closed Thread