Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-06-2016, 03:36 PM   #781
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I register the car in FL, and haven't gone through the process yet, but when we were looking at cars in MD last year I asked about it and they said there wouldn't be a problem with getting it registered for FL. Of course, they're car dealers, so I guess the proof will be in the pudding.

I'm pretty sure the sales tax will be MD, since that's where we will buy it.
No, I think the sale tax will be based on the state that you are registering the car in, not where you are buying it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2016, 03:53 PM   #782
Give me a forum ...

Don't bet on it.
I've bought a number of cars that I registered for the first time in other states.

The registering state DMV never cared where I paid the sales tax as long as I had a receipt to prove I paid it.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:05 PM   #783
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Had a flat on my old Silverado. It has a special "safety device" on the spare tire winch. Only other time I used it the EMTs had to rescue me! Big a $$ spring, part of the safety device, grabbed the meat of my middle finger and I was trapped. Struggled till I realized how ugly that would end, no one around so DW called 911. While I appreciated how nice they were last time I really didn't want to meet those folks again.

So I was a little nervous approaching the spare, for good reason. This time I followed each direction exactly, twice. Nope it's sure safe locked partially down, no one will ever get hurt driving that truck. Unknown to me DW calls triple A, the guy shows up. Asks if "I have a spare?" "Sure, I have one, you know why won't it come down?". "Oh yea that's too bad I only change tires." So he's gone.

I did find a utube showing how to go around the safety device. Takes two people and maybe I'll get it off. I may just forget about the spare and just get the flat fixed. Of course having a spare that doesn't come down is pretty silly.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:19 PM   #784
Recycles dryer sheets

Boy, haven't posted on this forum for quite a while. I'm currently in the middle of my second winter-stint in the Baja. Doesn't suck.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:46 PM   #785
Moderator Emeritus

Taxes turboed and filed. But I'd rather be there ^^^ Nice beach, SK!

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:06 PM   #786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
Boy, haven't posted on this forum for quite a while. I'm currently in the middle of my second winter-stint in the Baja. Doesn't suck.
Looks like you're having a rough retirement!
Old 04-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #787
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.....we get back up to MD before we buy it. We've looked at cars off and on the last couple of years, and the prices seem to be better up there. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
In which state do you register the car and how do you deal with that?
Quote:
I register the car in FL, and haven't gone through the process yet, but when we were looking at cars in MD last year I asked about it and they said there wouldn't be a problem with getting it registered for FL. Of course, they're car dealers, so I guess the proof will be in the pudding.

I'm pretty sure the sales tax will be MD, since that's where we will buy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
No, I think the sale tax will be based on the state that you are registering the car in, not where you are buying it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Don't bet on it.
I've bought a number of cars that I registered for the first time in other states.

The registering state DMV never cared where I paid the sales tax as long as I had a receipt to prove I paid it.
My response was based on what an out-of-state car dealer told me for my transaction where I would essentially drive the car home and then immediately register it in my home state. There is no sales tax on vehicles in the state where the dealer is so that may be part of why they said what they did.

However harley should be careful, particularly if he is a FL resident in that it seems that you need to have owned the car for 6 months to get credit by FL for sales tax paid to MD. I suppose that FL doesn't want people buying cars elsewhere, immediately driving them to FL and then expecting to get a credit from FL for the sales tax paid to another state and FL missing out on that revenue.

Quote:
Section 212.06(7), F.S., allows a credit to be given on tangible personal property brought into Florida where a like tax has been lawfully imposed and paid in another state. If the amount paid is equal to or greater than the amount imposed by Florida, no additional tax is due. If the amount is less than the amount imposed in Florida, only the difference between the two is due. However, it is presumed that tangible personal property used in another state, territory of the U.S., or the District of Columbia for six months or longer before being brought into Florida was not purchased for use in Florida; and therefore, no Florida tax is due.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #788

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
They did try and sell me extended service plans at that time, trying to scare me into thinking I'd get raped on charges later. I turned it around and told 'em thanks for the warning, that I didn't realize these cars broke so often that the extended service plan was so vital and that I would not be buying the car now because of what they told me. This basically resulted in them giving me the extended service plan or I would not have finalized the transaction. I bet they don't try selling me a plan using their scare tactics again. Ha!
I love that tactic and I'll be sure to try it the next time I buy a new car, if I ever do.

Fortunately the drama with my health issues seems to finally be resolved. After some internal miscommunication issues within the hospital they finally did the ultrasound-guided medication method described near the bottom of this page this afternoon. There is little to no pain left going on and as described they're freely administering the pain-killers as needed so no issues there. The main issue of discomfort was that I couldn't eat or drink anything after midnight last night but they didn't get around to the procedure until nearly 3:00 PM so by then I was getting pretty hungry and borderline dehydrated. I'd seen that one coming and made sure to drink a lot of water before the spigot was cut off so not a big deal. Those issues have since been addressed and I'm actually feeling pretty good. DW is staying overnight at a cousin's house about 20 minutes away.

They're keeping me overnight just to make sure all this comes together but at the same time everyone expects to have me out of here by tomorrow afternoon at the latest.

So, hopefully the atrial fibrillation issues that started me down this trail have been solved at least for a while and then the complications from the bleeding from within the catheterization site have also been fixed.

I hope to be back full bore at the gym within two to four weeks!
Old 04-06-2016, 09:24 PM   #789
Administrator

Wonderful news, Walt!! Couldn't hope for more. So glad you got through today's procedure smoothly.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:05 PM   #790

Excellent news, Walt!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-06-2016, 10:08 PM   #791

Great to hear this, Walt!
Old 04-06-2016, 10:30 PM   #792
Give me a forum ...

Yes, that is good news.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:46 PM   #793

Good news, Walt! Hope you are soon home and pain free and getting back to your normal happy retirement routine.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:06 AM   #794
Give me a forum ...

Walt, excellent news! Feel better asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
However harley should be careful, particularly if he is a FL resident in that it seems that you need to have owned the car for 6 months to get credit by FL for sales tax paid to MD. I suppose that FL doesn't want people buying cars elsewhere, immediately driving them to FL and then expecting to get a credit from FL for the sales tax paid to another state and FL missing out on that revenue.
From the section you quoted it seems the worst I'd have to do is pay the difference between MD and FL. I think they're about the same, so no biggie. We're only in MD 4 or 5 months, so the car will be in FL well within 6 months.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:54 AM   #795

Good news indeed, Walt.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:08 AM   #796

Happy to hear that your medical problems have been fixed, Walt. Hopefully our weather will be warmer in 2-4 weeks and no more snow.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:34 AM   #797

That's great news Walt. When do you get to go home?
Old 04-07-2016, 08:42 AM   #798
Give me a forum ...

Great news Walt !
Old 04-07-2016, 08:51 AM   #799
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
....From the section you quoted it seems the worst I'd have to do is pay the difference between MD and FL. I think they're about the same, so no biggie. We're only in MD 4 or 5 months, so the car will be in FL well within 6 months.
I interpreted it differently. I interpreted it that unless the car was at least 6 months old when you try to register it in FL that FL will presume that you purchased it for use in FL and will want 6% of the purchase price AND will NOT give you a credit for any tax you paid to MD..... which is why I urged that you be cautious. I would call FL, tell them your plan and see what they tell you.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:12 AM   #800
Give me a forum ...

I don't think so, although I will double check before I head back up north. The rule you listed seems to have 3 parts.

Quote:
Section 212.06(7), F.S., allows a credit to be given on tangible personal property brought into Florida where a like tax has been lawfully imposed and paid in another state. If the amount paid is equal to or greater than the amount imposed by Florida, no additional tax is due.
Pretty self explanatory. If you paid more tax than FL would have charged, nothing is due.

Quote:
If the amount is less than the amount imposed in Florida, only the difference between the two is due.
If you paid less, you have to pay FL the difference.

Quote:
However, it is presumed that tangible personal property used in another state, territory of the U.S., or the District of Columbia for six months or longer before being brought into Florida was not purchased for use in Florida; and therefore, no Florida tax is due.

If you've owned the car more than 6 months before registering it in FL, it wasn't intended for use in FL and you don't owe anything. That's the situation I had when I registered my 2004 Highlander down here a couple of years ago.

I think the taxes in MD and FL are just about the same, so I either won't owe anything or just a little bit. I probably won't buy the car for a couple months after we get back. But we may come back later than usual next year since we've got a new DGD on the way and will probably hang around to help with that until DD gets sick of us and sends us packing. But I doubt we'll own it for 6 months before we get back. And anyway, we'll be registering (in FL) as soon as we buy it, so moot point.

If you see something wrong with my interpretation, let me know. I'm pretty bad with legalese.