Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-10-2016, 10:30 AM   #841
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks very much Harley for your post. It is a very good perspective and one that I hadn't thought about. She would be miserable without her cigarettes.

The surgery hastened her dementia so I'm not sure there is even the cognitive function there to quit successfully.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2016, 10:50 AM   #842
Recycles dryer sheets

Took Jerome for a two hour walkies in the woods. We gotta get outta Dodge soon for the Realtor to show the place.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:31 PM   #843

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It's been a busy day, and I just now got back to this forum. I did not think of taking a photo, and the whole pot was gone. I made plenty and had 3 pieces of chicken left, but my son and my son-in-law asked to take them home, so I do not have any left (we are heading out on our RV trek tomorrow and do not want to keep any left-over).

About food photography, yes my photos often do not look that good (I only have a pocket camera and have no experience like others here on this forum). However, most of the dishes I have made were well received by my guests. Cooking is a lot of fun, and I enjoy cooking for the family. I routinely host family parties for up to 30.
It's the taste that matters, but sometimes it's a little depressing when the recipe doesn't look like the picture(in particular for a special dessert item) however I think they might use "photoshop" for food.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:27 PM   #844
Administrator

Inventoried and restocked the first aid kits in my three cars.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:32 PM   #845
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
It's the taste that matters, but sometimes it's a little depressing when the recipe doesn't look like the picture(in particular for a special dessert item) however I think they might use "photoshop" for food.
Buy a burger (or anything) at Wendy's (or anywhere) and compare it to the picture on the menu or commercial. I remember reading about a person who's job was food artist for one of the restaurant chains. I wonder what they majored in?
Old 04-10-2016, 03:50 PM   #846

My photography teacher at junior college was a food photographer at one time. He and others would stage sets and lighting for several days, and take hundreds of practice shots before they got down to shooting the food. He said that the live shoot day would consist of the chef grilling steaks and preparing side items. He and the magazine staff would arrange the items and background as they had in practice and he would take the photos. The staff would have chefs keep preparing food and the process continued for several hours. He said he ate real well on those shoots.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:58 PM   #847
Moderator Emeritus

A waitress once showed us a tray of desserts and DH pointed to one and asked what was in it. She took his question literally and said it was a scoop of crisco with chocolate sauce and a brownie.

One of DD's favorite stories is the time I sent a chain restaurant entree back to the kitchen because it didn't look like the picture in the giant photo-driven menu. But I was right.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:29 PM   #848

Started up my poor neglected pickup truck for the first time in about three weeks and drove it around for about an hour just to run it. DW was with me for backup driver in case too much pain came up. Ate a package of Lima beans for lunch and took a three-hour nap. DW has expressed concern that I'm sleeping so much but I think it's just catching up on sleep lost while I was in the hospital and general recovery. Leg and foot ever so slowly getting better with time, follow up with PCP on Tuesday, hopefully he will have thoughts on accelerating recovery.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #849
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
DW has expressed concern that I'm sleeping so much but I think it's just catching up on sleep lost while I was in the hospital and general recovery.
Pain takes a lot out of you. It's only natural you should need extra sleep.

IMHO, sleep is the best medicine there is, so don't try to fight it.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:20 PM   #850

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Buy a burger (or anything) at Wendy's (or anywhere) and compare it to the picture on the menu or commercial. I remember reading about a person who's job was food artist for one of the restaurant chains. I wonder what they majored in?
We were at a local Mexican place where they were taking food photos for a new menu or something.

Each dish took much longer in the kitchen and looked nothing like what anyone received. Fun to watch.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:50 PM   #851

Quote:
Lisa, I'm not trying to be hard hearted about this, but at your mom's age and condition, it might even be cruel to try to make her stop. Whatever damage the cigarettes are going to do has already been done, and living out her last weeks/months/years trying to fight that addiction would be miserable. I've seen it a couple of times with my in-laws, and with all that goes on during surgeries and treatments and such, trying to stop smoking is just a lot of added trauma. It would be different if she was going to recover and have many years of additional life. Then stopping could add to her quality of life.

DW and I don't smoke, and we despised the fact that smoking took her parents so relatively young. But after watching them battle both the cancer and the forced (by the doctors) attempts to stop smoking, I don't think it was the right thing to do. Especially since it didn't work. They would both smoke whenever they got the opportunity to do so.

JMO. I'm sorry your mom and your family are going through this. Good luck.
+1 I had a neighbor who got kicked out of hospice care because of smoking issues. Once I accompanied a family member to a VA hospital for some testing. Since it was a nice day I got a coffee and went outside to sit on the patio. There was a yellow line on the pavement that said no smoking inside this line. On the smoking permitted side of the line sat at least half a dozen older veteran's in wheelchairs, with oxygen tanks, smoking away. My first thought was how sad they still can't quit, followed by the thought, I'm going to find a safer place to sit.

I'm sorry about your Mom too, my Dad passed at 58 from lung cancer.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:58 PM   #852
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
+1 I had a neighbor who got kicked out of hospice care because of smoking issues. Once I accompanied a family member to a VA hospital for some testing. Since it was a nice day I got a coffee and went outside to sit on the patio. There was a yellow line on the pavement that said no smoking inside this line. On the smoking permitted side of the line sat at least half a dozen older veteran's in wheelchairs, with oxygen tanks, smoking away. My first thought was how sad they still can't quit, followed by the thought, I'm going to find a safer place to sit.

I'm sorry about your Mom too, my Dad passed at 58 from lung cancer.
Odd...it was hospice with MiL that showed me the empathy of not adding suffering to a terminal patient by demanding they quit an addiction while in the process of dying. I guess things are different in different places.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:38 AM   #853

Quote:
Odd...it was hospice with MiL that showed me the empathy of not adding suffering to a terminal patient by demanding they quit an addiction while in the process of dying. I guess things are different in different places.
I suspect that's not the whole story. I've never heard of anybody being "kicked out" of hospice either. He had the reputation of being a very unpleasant individual.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #854
Recycles dryer sheets

Lisa99, at the risk of seeming hypocritical, I see Harley's point. After 45 years of Tareyton's, my mother had to quit, but the damage was already done. She suffered another 15 years of COPD and CHF until her death. I sometimes wonder if her Pulmonologist, though brilliant, just prolonged her agony. He takes it very personal when he loses a patient, but he also has a big ego. As Mom used to say, 'the nurses think they are doctors, and the doctors think they are God', lol. She did seem less uptight in her smoking days.
On the other hand, one of my best friends lit and held his elderly Mothers' last cigarette for her on her last day of life. And he is a judge and an ordained minister who never did smoke. He gave her eulogy and shared that story. Compassion...
Old 04-12-2016, 12:21 PM   #855
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh, I'm sorry. I do wish you well during this tough time...
Old 04-12-2016, 05:47 PM   #856

Dentist appointment in the late AM for routine cleaning/inspection, Dr. appt. in the afternoon for follow-up on the happenings of last week, and stopped for a therapeutic pizza on the way home from there. Now DW is baking a chocolate cake. That was NOT my idea!

Doc says it is going to be quite a while before the swelling in my leg and foot subside and aside from light walking and keeping it elevated there isn't much else I can do. He did suggest that the next few weeks are not a good time to go sky diving or anything like that.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:07 PM   #857
Give me a forum ...

House was officially listed for sale today. I thought I'd have more time, but agent shot photos yesterday as soon as I signed the papers, and slapped it on the MLS.

I spent the day running around doing last minute cleanup / fix up stuff so it is ready for the first showing. He wanted to do an open house this weekend, but I declined. Perhaps a mistake, but I see these as agent publicity and neighbor snooping opportunities as opposed to a real selling tool.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:33 PM   #858
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
He wanted to do an open house this weekend, but I declined. Perhaps a mistake, but I see these as agent publicity and neighbor snooping opportunities as opposed to a real selling tool.

My friend - a real estate agent - agrees with you.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #859
Administrator

Lunch, haircut, oil change, laundry... just one of those days when I wonder how I ever had the time to work (before I retired).
Old 04-12-2016, 06:35 PM   #860
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
therapeutic pizza

I'm always learning new vocabulary on this forum!