Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 06:10 PM   #861
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Started up my poor neglected pickup truck for the first time in about three weeks and drove it around for about an hour just to run it. DW was with me for backup driver in case too much pain came up. Ate a package of Lima beans for lunch and took a three-hour nap. DW has expressed concern that I'm sleeping so much but I think it's just catching up on sleep lost while I was in the hospital and general recovery. Leg and foot ever so slowly getting better with time, follow up with PCP on Tuesday, hopefully he will have thoughts on accelerating recovery.
You are sleeping because you are healing . Take all the time you need to get back to where you were .
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2016, 07:09 PM   #862
Moderator Emeritus

Went on a spending spree - new running shoes, 4 pair of socks, maps of England and Ireland, A how to book on Photoshop Elements and Photoshop Elements software.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #863
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Took Federal and State taxes to the Post Office and sent by certified mail. Who knows, maybe next year I will get with it and try doing them electronically. Bought a present for my aunt's 85 birthday party on Sunday and browsed 3 stores that have opened recently. Then went grocery shopping at Wal-Mart and Sam's Club. Talked with my sister tonight and when I discussed my day with her, she said, wait a minute, did you say you went shopping? I am not much of a shopper, but do occasionally get in the mood to see what they are selling in the stores. Been on the computer tonight.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #864

DD showed up as I was working on the house. She had a block of foam she wanted to cut into 12 inch squares and slice them a couple of inches thick. Turned out she was making a case to hold chess pieces. I built her a quick box with a lid out of construction scraps and helped her cut the foam. It all turned out pretty well and only took a couple of hours. She headed home happy.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #865
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
My friend - a real estate agent - agrees with you.
+1 it is more beneficial to the agent for prospecting.... a very small percentage of open houses result in a sale.

Open Houses May Be a Waste of Time for the Homeowner

Note that this is an article on realtor.com!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-12-2016, 09:25 PM   #866

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Odd...it was hospice with MiL that showed me the empathy of not adding suffering to a terminal patient by demanding they quit an addiction while in the process of dying. I guess things are different in different places.
My wife is/was a hospice nurse. While it is quite sad to see a person smoking when it is the cancer caused by the smoking that is killing the person, it does seem less than compassionate to suffer the smoking withdrawal on top of the cancer effects. So they let patients smoke, after all it is not like it made a significant change in their lifespan at that point. They did have to go outside, no smoking inside the hospice facility. DW now works for VA and it is definitely no smoking policy.

As for my day, still working so no need to mention more than that. I did stop on way home and bought a couple get well cards for a very dear friend that is going in for aorta valve replacement in 3 days. His valve is leaking, so he will be getting a pig or cow valve replacement. He has no real other symptoms besides a high resting heart rate at times, and pretty good shape for nearly 80 years old, so hope he has good recovery and is back to normal activities quickly.

Also completed the trust tax returns I am trustee for and dropped the forms and check in the mail to IRS. I e-file my personal stuff, but the trust is pretty simple and only a few forms so I just use the IRS fillable pdf's.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Old 04-12-2016, 10:35 PM   #867
Give me a forum ...

Worked on cashing in all my credit card points so we can close out the current crop of cards and get new sign up bonuses for this year. For dinner we tried a new Mexican restaurant for margaritas and Taco Tuesday.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 04-13-2016, 06:13 PM   #868
Give me a forum ...

Got up on the roof with the leaf blower and blew the valleys and gutters clean.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:11 PM   #869

First really warm spring day here in the frozen north. Everyone is already out in shorts and flip flops, and the smell of barbecue is wafting from two neighbors' yards into my den as I type this. Yesterday we had snow and were still in parkas. April in my fair state is less a cruel month than an exceedingly weird one.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:19 PM   #870
Give me a forum ...

DW and I went skiing for the first time this season today. Boy, am I out of shape! Conditions were good, but it got too warm/soft in the early afternoon.

We foolishly bought tickets for 3 days for the season even though we were planning to spend January to March in Florida. We had planned to try to use one before we left and two spring ski days in April..... but we had no snow before we left... so one down, two to go.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-13-2016, 07:40 PM   #871
Administrator

Took the young wife to the range for the first time today. She liked it and said that it would be fun to go again.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:29 AM   #872
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Fortunately the drama with my health issues seems to finally be resolved. <>
So, hopefully the atrial fibrillation issues that started me down this trail have been solved at least for a while and then the complications from the bleeding from within the catheterization site have also been fixed.

I hope to be back full bore at the gym within two to four weeks!
Very good news Walt. I am, glad to hear that you are on the mend.

Ha
Old 04-14-2016, 11:05 AM   #873

Writing large checks today. We're getting our fence replaced and they should finish up this afternoon, check #1.

Took DH's van to the shop for timing belt replacement and inspection, found out it also has a hole in the boot on the throttle body intake (letting dirt get into the throttle body, so that needs to be cleaned), a burned out brake light, and needs an alignment (I had noticed some odd tire wear a few months back but forgot about it). Also needed transmission and power steering fluid flushed. Don't think it's had any maintenance in several years, so not surprised. It gets driven less than 5000 miles a year now, but vans with wheelchair ramps are pricey so we want it to last, so check #2.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:40 AM   #874

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Writing large checks today. We're getting our fence replaced and they should finish up this afternoon, check #1.

Took DH's van to the shop for timing belt replacement and inspection, found out it also has a hole in the boot on the throttle body intake (letting dirt get into the throttle body, so that needs to be cleaned), a burned out brake light, and needs an alignment (I had noticed some odd tire wear a few months back but forgot about it). Also needed transmission and power steering fluid flushed. Don't think it's had any maintenance in several years, so not surprised. It gets driven less than 5000 miles a year now, but vans with wheelchair ramps are pricey so we want it to last, so check #2.
With all that work, let's hope its good for at least another 100K miles!
Old 04-14-2016, 12:27 PM   #875

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
A how to book on Photoshop Elements and Photoshop Elements software.
Yup, that's how my addiction started too....
Old 04-14-2016, 03:52 PM   #876

I spent yesterday and today painting the interior of my parents' two-car garage. They built the house 15 years ago but never got the garage painted.

It all started a few weeks ago when Dad mentioned he wanted to paint the garage. He is 73 years old, recovering from a sprained ankle, and has macular degeneration. There's no way he should be climbing ladders to do the cutting in. So I told him I would come help for a few days while DH was away on business. Good thing I did. Dad took a tumble Tuesday night when he stepped out of the house and into the garage and forgot that he moved the ramp that has been at that entrance since grandma needed it ten years ago. He broke a small bone in his hand. That put him out of commission as far as being any help to me, so I did the job myself.

After seven hours of work yesterday and six hours today, I'm finally done two coats. I'm a little sore but the folks are very happy.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:14 PM   #877

Philliefan, That was a nice deed you did for your parents. Hope your dad has a speedy recovery.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:39 PM   #878
Gone but not forgotten

2016 has not been a banner year for me . I got some bizarre flu that left me with eight weeks of bronchitis and extreme fatigue .My Mom was admitted to a nursing home and is going downhill fast and to top it off my Aunt goes to visit my Mom and falls in the parking lot and breaks her hip . Some years are just bad years !
Old 04-14-2016, 05:54 PM   #879

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
2016 has not been a banner year for me . I got some bizarre flu that left me with eight weeks of bronchitis and extreme fatigue .My Mom was admitted to a nursing home and is going downhill fast and to top it off my Aunt goes to visit my Mom and falls in the parking lot and breaks her hip . Some years are just bad years !
It does seem that sometimes it is just better all around to simply stay in bed. Sorry to learn of all that happening to you and family.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:48 PM   #880

We had our first 60 degree days of the year yesterday and today and now rain predicted for a couple of days. The farmers will be itching to get into the fields.