Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-19-2016, 06:12 PM   #921
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Recently, I also became a great-uncle when one of the nieces gave birth to a beautiful girl. This was the first baby born to that generation although our eldest married nieces and nephews are already in their mid-40s. My grandniece is surely going to be spoiled by all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow! You aren't NW-Bound any more; you're NW-There! Beautiful scenery. Have a great time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Awesome photo! and looks like great hiking territory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
NW Bound, That's a beautiful shot.
Thanks. I have been trying to promote US travel, in case somebody has not noticed. Foreign travel is fun and there are many countries I like to visit or to go back to, but the US or North America has lots to offer too.

I have been NW-Bound for the last 40 years, and will remain so. Yes, I arrived to the NW, too numerous times to count in fact. However, I did not stay so that I can be NW-Bound again and again.

Why, just this time last year I was camping out on Kalaloch Beach off the Olympic National Park in Washington.

About the Glacier National Park, I have been to the East Entrance on an earlier RV trek, but this time I get to the West Entrance from Idaho by following US Route 12 along Clearwater River, along a trail first traversed by the Lewis and Clark Expedition.

Driving the 100-mile twisty road, I tried to imagine the hardship for the explorers who fumbled their way through this then uncharted mountainous territory. One can watch the whitewater rafting on the Clearwater River, and imagine how harder it would be if one needed to carry provisions.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2016, 07:12 PM   #922

NWBound - you're at one of my favorite places. We spent a week in the little motel at the West end of lake McDonald a few years ago. My dad spent a summer clearing trails and living in a one room cabin on Bowman lake in the park near the Canadian border when he was in college. He had some great bear stories.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:30 AM   #923
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Went to the optometrist and found out that I am no longer nearsighted in my right eye (although it still has major astigmatism so I still need my contacts). Removing that correction seems to help with my near vision, at least in the 4 hours I've had a trial contact of the new prescription in. Yippee!
Isn't that bizarre and wonderful! The same thing happened to me - eyesight improved in one eye. Dr said that it is a pretty common occurrence in later life.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:47 AM   #924
Recycles dryer sheets

We did a most enjoyable 10 mile hike, followed by lunch at a new eatery in our town. The food was amazing, like Top Chef amazing. In fact, when I commented such to our server he said the owner/chef had been queried to be a contestant and was giving it thought. Which then explained the fantastic food, and made me glad we had burned a whole lot of calories preceding our lunch.

Sidebar: Our midweek long hike and dine out is one of my favorite parts of ER.

After our return home we cleaned up and took naps. I'll blame the warm weather during our hike rather than the fab food (!).

Spent the afternoon packing for our upcoming 6 week trip to Europe, plus working on the accompanying itinerary. Dinner was pesto pasta salad, after which we watched one Hulu episode of Top Chef. (I know, clearly I've got a theme going on here.)
Old 04-20-2016, 04:22 PM   #925

Went for a 5 mile hike exploring bison and explosives bunkers at Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie, took a nap, and watched the white sox cruise to another victory.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-20-2016, 04:44 PM   #926

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
My grandniece is surely going to be spoiled by all of us.
That has been DW's apparent goal since grandniece #1 was born ten years ago.

Today went for a follow-up with the cardiologist who said I'm one of the few who got unlucky with the complications, but it does happen. The good news is that all seems on track to fully heal up in time, but he also said I should stay out of the gym for another month to let things heal. Not exactly what I wanted to hear since it takes so long to catch up again but I sure don't want to risk tearing anything either so I'll take his advice. Easy-type walks are okay so I'll be limited to that for the time being.

Then took DW out to late lunch/early dinner. It's good to start getting back to normal.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:56 PM   #927
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We closed on our HELOC! Another 5 days till it funds. It was a PIA without a j*b, one of the few things that were better. Even though BofA was somewhat stodgy to deal with, they gave us a deal that fits what we're wanting to do.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:07 PM   #928
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I should stay out of the gym for another month to let things heal. Not exactly what I wanted to hear since it takes so long to catch up again but I sure don't want to risk tearing anything either so I'll take his advice. Easy-type walks are okay so I'll be limited to that for the time being.
If it helps any, I can offer an encouraging word.

I was an avid runner all my life until I suddenly developed some pain in my hip last year that stopped me cold. The MRI showed some severe arthritis and the doc told me I was "on track for a hip replacement."

I was devastated, and I actually needed a cane for any walking over about a block for a couple of months.

But I'm happy to report that taking it easy had the effect of healing much of my problem. I still can't run (and never will again), but today (about 7-8 months later) I can easily walk five miles without a problem. Sure, there's a little twinge now and then, but basically I can walk nearly as well as ever. It was simply a matter of resting it for a few months that made that big a difference.

I have always believed that simple sleep is the best medicine for most things, and I've now learned that avoiding strenuous activity for a period can do wonders for some severe musculoskeletal problems. Who'd a thunk it?

So I'm gratified that you're being sensible about restricting your urge to get active again soon. There's quite a bit of life left in us old codgers, as long as we recognize our limitations.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:12 PM   #929

Sometimes life is just good!

I went to a 4 wheelers season kickoff meeting last Saturday. With the blessing of the group, I put up some flyers with the kids camp Jeep wish list on it. (I gave the 1992 Jeep to the camp last fall with the idea of turning it into and off-road Jeep.) A guy that runs an off-road shop has adopted the Jeep and will totally build it and an off-road trailer for it. He has already gotten a commitment for some of the basic parts (4.56 gears with selectable lockers). He told me all he needed from me was to get a Ford rear end. I took a friend that knew a guy that ran a wrecking yard and he gave us the rear end that we needed and I dropped that off at the off-road shop.

The Jeep will be used to haul camping gear and food, etc. down to the river along a Jeep trail (2,000 ft elevation drop) while the kids hike down for wilderness style camping and fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0991.jpg (587.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 04-20-2016, 06:25 PM   #930

That's a fine looking Jeep! And the upcoming transformation sounds like a great project.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:37 PM   #931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
That's a fine looking Jeep! And the upcoming transformation sounds like a great project.
I'll post pics as the transformation happens.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:56 PM   #932

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
If it helps any, I can offer an encouraging word. <snip>
Thanks so much, the voice of experience helps! It is frustrating when I feel fine to have to take it easier than I think is needed, but I also need to bear in mind that at 66 I'm not exactly that proverbial spring chicken anymore either.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:01 PM   #933

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Sometimes life is just good!

He told me all he needed from me was to get a Ford rear end. I took a friend that knew a guy that ran a wrecking yard and he gave us the rear end that we needed and I dropped that off at the off-road shop.
That is so cool how things like that just seem to come together when needed for a good cause. Do post updates as progress continues!
Old 04-20-2016, 11:00 PM   #934
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Easy-type walks are okay so I'll be limited to that for the time being.
Walking is great exercise and even easy-type walks can make a huge difference. Maybe after walking every day for a while, your doctor would approve of more than one easy-type walk per day with a few hours of rest in between.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:46 AM   #935

Great pics NW-bound. Looks like a fun trip.

We saw Allegiant today. I guess it hasn't done that great at the box office, but we've watched the other two movies in the Divergent series and enjoyed this one, too, especially at matinee prices. It is nice being able to go during the weekdays - there were only three other people in the entire theater.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:17 PM   #936
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just finished our annual alpaca shearing visit, 9 boys sheared in about 90 minutes including setting up and packing out. Had a bit of rain to deal with but we're able to keep them each dry until their turn. After they were done, some ventured out in to the rain. Two man shearing team as usual and they had two more farms to visit today after leaving here at 330 pm.

image.jpg
Old 04-21-2016, 03:21 PM   #937

davemartin, what do you do with the product of the shearing? Have a spinner/weaver/yarnworker in the family?
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:51 PM   #938

We usually send out some of the fiber to be made in to rug yarn but keep the best fiber, the blankets to spin ourselves. I have an eclectric spinning wheel and my DW has a traditional treadle mill. DW knits so uses the yarn we produce but we also give quite a bit away to friends who are knitters as well. We aren't able to keep up with all the fleece we have so may try to sell a bit of raw fleece this year, still trying to decide. Raw fleece doesn't bring a very good return and barely covers the shearing cost. Spinning goes pretty quickly but all the prep work to get the fiber carded and ready to spin takes a lot of time.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:45 PM   #939

Angel Flight Mission

Today I flew a cancer patient to his appointment in Santa Monica. It was the first flight for him and he enjoyed the experience.
The weather was beautiful along the entire route
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:01 PM   #940

Spent time tracking down some bonds...

I chose to have some of refund given to us in I-bonds. They send paper bonds. I wanted them to be electronic on Treasury Direct... so I went through the process of creating the manifest and mailing them off, certified mail.

USPS screwed up - they got stuck in Houston on their way to Minneapolis. So 2 weeks ago I fought with the Post office to get them to find the certified envelope and continue it on it's way... It arrived in Minneapolis 2 days later....

I checked treasury direct today and it didn't show any status for that manifest (should show "in process". I also managed to lock myself out of treasury direct because I forgot one of my security questions.... so back on the phone... After 10 minutes on hold I got a very nice agent... she was able to confirm they had the bonds... but couldn't figure out why they didn't have a case # associated with converting them to electronic bonds.... she talks to her supervisor... it get bumped up from there. 45 minutes later they not only have found the bonds - they've started working on them. Yay!

Other than that I walked the dog on the beach this morning, and shuttled the kids to/fro this afternoon.