Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-30-2016, 06:49 PM   #1021
Full time employment: Posting here.

I volunteer on a tourist railroad in California. This week was our Railfest, and we had the 1913 Baldwin steam engine pulling the train. At one point, we stopped the train outside of the tunnel, and let the passengers off. The train backed up then came through the tunnel on a photo run by. Everyone loved it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3004-091842.jpg (335.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 3004-103335.jpg (593.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 3004-103340.jpg (513.7 KB, 17 views)

Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2016, 07:28 PM   #1022
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Went to breakfast with an old friend in between the heavy rains.

Discussed the market, low interest rates, preferred stocks, municipal bonds, income in retirement, paying taxes, and the VW diesel crisis events. Resolved nothing, still got 15% off at Denny's using his AARP card. He paid the bill.
Wow!

He paid & you got 15% off. Pretty awesome to get PAID for eating breakfast.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:23 PM   #1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Wow!

He paid & you got 15% off. Pretty awesome to get PAID for eating breakfast.
I handed the bill to the cashier and his AARP card was with it. He paid the bill.

I was the delivery boy.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:14 PM   #1024
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Last Thursday, they forecasted 5 to 10" of snow for the Denver area. It turned out to be not as bad. The temperature turned out fairly close to the forecast, however. We woke up this morning with the following scenery of the nice municipal RV park. All that snow melted later in the day.

That's quite a contrast compared to the view we had from a condo up in Montana 2 weeks ago.

The forecast weather up in Vail was also revised to be much better. The low temperature will go up above freezing early next week, and with no precipitation. So, we will hang out another day or two, then drive the motorhome from Denver to the rented timeshare condo on Monday or Tuesday. The 1-week stay will not be a total loss after all, and we lose only 2 or 3 days.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:26 AM   #1025

Yesterday we went out to eat at a South American restaurant for lunch and then saw a musical in the evening. Today we attended an art and wine festival with live bands.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:41 AM   #1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Last Thursday, they forecasted 5 to 10" of snow for the Denver area. It turned out to be not as bad. The temperature turned out fairly close to the forecast, however. We woke up this morning with the following scenery of the nice municipal RV park. All that snow melted later in the day.

That's quite a contrast compared to the view we had from a condo up in Montana 2 weeks ago.

The forecast weather up in Vail was also revised to be much better. The low temperature will go up above freezing early next week, and with no precipitation. So, we will hang out another day or two, then drive the motorhome from Denver to the rented timeshare condo on Monday or Tuesday. The 1-week stay will not be a total loss after all, and we lose only 2 or 3 days.
I hope its better farther north. It has been snowing for the last four days. I drove home from Colorado Springs last night and it was a very slow trip with ice on the roads. It is 23 degrees and still snowing this morning so I decided to skip the trip back into town for church this morning. I don't think I could make it in time with the current road conditions.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:21 PM   #1027

Went to see Jungle Book yesterday. Pretty good animation and special effects.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:37 PM   #1028
Recycles dryer sheets

DD1 and I ran the Broad Street Run in Philadelphia. It was cold and raining, and any sensible person would've opted to not start. But she shamed me into running, and I'm glad I did. I was four minutes slower than my 10-mile PR, but I set a personal course record. I have a feeling my PR days are behind me, but I still (usually) enjoy running.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:59 PM   #1029
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Saw "Jungle Book" this morning, then went to restaurant for lunch.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 05-01-2016, 10:00 PM   #1030

Ran 8 miles with DW on her bike on our 34th anniversary. Then built another workbench for my workshop to store more tools.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-01-2016, 10:34 PM   #1031

We went to a May Day celebration with Morris Dancers at the U.C. Berkeley Botanical Gardens. Later on we took the dog for a walk on a view trail.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:30 AM   #1032
Give me a forum ...

Watched DW complete her first marathon yesterday. Five years ago she was a complete couch potato, so it was doubly impressive. Just shows that if you can get yourself motivated, you can accomplish almost anything.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:37 AM   #1033

Celebrating three wonderful years of Freedom!
Old 05-02-2016, 09:51 AM   #1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Awesome! My third year will be coming up at the end of June. I will also be at my FRA and the time I always thought I would retire. Love the RE!
Old 05-02-2016, 09:55 AM   #1035

It was cold (17) but clear this morning. First day with blue skies for about 5 days. I'm out to do some plowing this morning and then in to town to run errands.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Awesome! My third year will be coming up at the end of June. I will also be at my FRA and the time I always thought I would retire. Love the RE!
Congrats to you both!

I will be starting my third year this June. It's been wonderful so far but, it doesn't seem like it's been that long since I worked full time.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #1037
Administrator

Quote:
Congrats to you both!
Ditto, congratulations to Hermit and MRG!

Quote:
I will be starting my third year this June. It's been wonderful so far but, it doesn't seem like it's been that long since I worked full time.
Congrats on your 2-year retirement anniversary in June.
I think it took me about that long after retirement just to decompress and de-stress. You have LOTS more fun ahead of you.

I'm in my 7th year and by now, I just feel like work was a trap, for me anyway. I am glad I escaped it when I did. It has been great catching up on all the leisure time activities that wished I had time for, back when I was working. Little did I suspect that when I found my true niche in life, it would turn out to be retirement.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #1038
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Watched DW complete her first marathon yesterday. Five years ago she was a complete couch potato, so it was doubly impressive. Just shows that if you can get yourself motivated, you can accomplish almost anything.
That's amazing--congrats to her. I'm thinking she preserved her joints during the couch potato years so she can enjoy them now .

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:01 PM   #1039
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
That's amazing--congrats to her. I'm thinking she preserved her joints during the couch potato years so she can enjoy them now .
Actually she has arthritis practically everywhere, but is very stubborn determined.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:17 PM   #1040
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

Kudos to her. I also didn't start running until later in life (four years ago at age 47) so I can appreciate the challenge. Slower paces, longer recovery times, trying to build your body up while Father Time is working in the other direction...it's not easy.

Tell her that I am more impressed with her commitment to marathon *training* than her finish (although that is certainly impressive). I got beaten down while training for the HMs I ran; training for a full sounds brutal.