Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-02-2016, 01:08 PM   #1041
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went for a short 5k run, then walked the dogs 2 miles to cool down. Yesterday we moved DD and SIL from Utah where he got his masters in communications degree and in a few minutes will return the Uhaul trailer. Mixed up some teriyaki sauce to marinade tonight's teriyaki chicken dinner. After returning the Uhaul, we might start marking out and measuring for the new pool fence, since we tore the old one out last year to build the poolhouse. I got part of it done before the rains started in the winter, and now it needs to be completed within the next few weeks before pool season starts.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2016, 01:25 PM   #1042
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
I also didn't start running until later in life (four years ago at age 47) so I can appreciate the challenge. Slower paces, longer recovery times, trying to build your body up while Father Time is working in the other direction...it's not easy.
I can assure you that we don't care about time -- only about finishing.

I did my first marathon at 58, then did two more before cutting back to only halfs. DW just did her first marathon at 68, so she gets way more credit for it.

Now the funny part is that she wants to do another one, next time with me. I seriously doubt I could handle it now, but I might consider doing a half while she does the full.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:39 PM   #1043

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Watched DW complete her first marathon yesterday. Five years ago she was a complete couch potato, so it was doubly impressive. Just shows that if you can get yourself motivated, you can accomplish almost anything.
Congrats to her. That is quite an accomplishment.

My long distance running days were over 7 years ago when I needed a new hip. Guess I ran too much at a much earlier age.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:59 PM   #1044
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I can assure you that we don't care about time -- only about finishing.

I did my first marathon at 58, then did two more before cutting back to only halfs. DW just did her first marathon at 68, so she gets way more credit for it.

Now the funny part is that she wants to do another one, next time with me. I seriously doubt I could handle it now, but I might consider doing a half while she does the full.
Wow ! Congratulations to your DW !
Old 05-02-2016, 03:55 PM   #1045

DW is off with her sister babysitting the two grandnephews so I have the house to myself. The sun is warming the house to a comfortable level that DW would find too hot so I'll leave it there until she gets back. Still doing my daily walks and only 3 weeks until I can go back to the gym.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #1046
Give me a forum ...

Neither of us have ever run any marathon, or even a 5K. Our knees and hips will last the rest of our life.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:35 PM   #1047

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Neither of us have ever run any marathon, or even a 5K. Our knees and hips will last the rest of our life.
Don't bet on that. BIL never ran for exercise or in any competition. Both his knees have been replaced. DW is "looking" at one at the moment. They just wear out or give it up.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #1048
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Don't bet on that. BIL never ran for exercise or in any competition. Both his knees have been replaced. DW is "looking" at one at the moment. They just wear out or give it up.
A good friend had both knees replaced in his early 50s. He was a UPS driver and the constant up and down steps (in and out of the truck) did his knees in.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:59 PM   #1049
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

I had more knee pain before I started running. I was barely (by four pounds) overweight, but I'm 10-15 pounds lighter now. Whether it's due to weight loss or increased fitness, I feel much better than I did before I started running.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:06 PM   #1050

Quote:
Watched DW complete her first marathon yesterday. Five years ago she was a complete couch potato, so it was doubly impressive. Just shows that if you can get yourself motivated, you can accomplish almost anything.
Congrats to your DW! First marathon at 68 is very impressive.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:48 PM   #1051
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife decided she wanted some hanging lights on our porch. We went through several design iterations, and settled on hanging them from an aluminum rod held with screw eyes. She came up with the idea of wrapping the cords around the rod so they would not hang down. Great idea!
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:20 PM   #1052
Recycles dryer sheets

We ordered new interior doors for the house, 12 of them! They were delivered today, and I spent the day with the contractors tearing out the old doors and putting in new ones (9 torn out and 7 put in). What was supposed to be a one day job has turned into a two day one😬. I did run out and have an up close encounter with the urologist (why did the proctologist use two fingers to check the prostate? To get a second opinion &#128561. Tomorrow they will finish the install, and I will begin the priming and painting.

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-02-2016, 09:27 PM   #1053
Give me a forum ...

Will you "de-install" them to paint? It would be a lot easier painting the doors with them on a saw horse.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:56 PM   #1054
Recycles dryer sheets

I need to paint the door and the frame. Given the "helpers" I have (DW and youngest DS), the installers have everything hung and level, I don't want to screw it up! 😳 The rain and hail also makes indoor work more practical. So it will be drop cloths and new carpeting (needed sooner or later anyway).

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-04-2016, 09:05 AM   #1055
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Happy Star Wars Day, everyone!

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:08 AM   #1056

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Happy Star Wars Day, everyone!
Dang, I forgot to get DW a card.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:23 AM   #1057
Administrator

One year ago yesterday, the sellers of my Dream House finally accepted my offer and it went under contract.

It's hard to believe that it has been a year already. I really have not completely finished moving in yet. All my boxes are unpacked, but I still need to hang the rest of the artwork and accomplish a few similar tasks.

Living here has been almost TOO good, KWIM? There is nothing more that I want in life. Luck/karma being as it is, this makes me wonder what unexpected difficulties lie ahead for me. Right now, life is a bowl of cherries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cherry-bowl-of-cherries-clipart.jpg (10.8 KB, 188 views)
Old 05-05-2016, 03:01 AM   #1058
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We took the train into SF and saw the touring version of the Broadway musical Cinderella. We really enjoyed it. They had lovely sets and costumes and even updated the story. This Cinderella attracted the prince not just for her looks but also her kindness and advocacy for social justice.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:36 AM   #1059

Went for my annual physical. Had an EKG done and all looks good. Waiting for the blood work to come back from the lab. I am hopeful all systems still "go" with the blood work as it's been for the last several years.

Doc was happy that I lost over 20 pounds last year from my low carb efforts. I am more active, also. Not that I was very overweight, but I did need a "trimming up" so to say.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:45 AM   #1060
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
... Living here has been almost TOO good, KWIM? There is nothing more that I want in life. Luck/karma being as it is, this makes me wonder what unexpected difficulties lie ahead for me. Right now, life is a bowl of cherries.
Them cherries have stones, and may cause your teeth to break if you are not careful.