Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #1061
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been a member of the forum since 2011 and have only posted 134 times. My small number of posts reflect more of my introverted nature than anything else, as I come to the forum often and find it very interesting and encouraging. So, today I have resolved to "show up" more often and contribute.

Today is my 3rd day laying on my back on a heat pad. My back seized up on Wednesday (during exercise - trying to be healthy can be bad for your health!) and made me bed-bound the rest of the day. Went to the doc yesterday for a shot in the back and pain-killers, and today things are starting to loosen up to where I can stretch a little in between sessions of the heat pad.

The good news is that I did not have to get a doctor's note to stay home from work for a day, and I don't have to rush back to work with a painful back just to keep a boss happy

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2016, 05:16 PM   #1062
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Bummer. Hope you feel better soon.

My back went out for no apparel reason earlier this year and I limped around for two weeks - felt like I'd aged 30 years.

Old 05-06-2016, 05:27 PM   #1063

Went to early voting with DW and then out for lunch, she had a $5 off coupon and wanted to use that.

ChainsBeGone I too am recovering from a painful complication from some surgery so can emphasize. Much better than it has been but the doc still told me to stay out of the gym until near the end of this month lest I undo the healing. He didn't have to tell me that twice as I sure don't want to go through that again!
Old 05-06-2016, 05:57 PM   #1064
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks travelover and Walt34.

This happens to me several times a year and strikes without warning. I've had it happen when reaching for a box of cereal, and it even happened one time when I raised my my arm to drink out of a water bottle.

When it strikes I spend the first day completely bed-ridden and then the next few days I slowly crawl out and start the process of returning to normal. Within a week I'm usually back to regular activities. This time the doc did give me some great pain killers to have on hand when it happens the next time.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:43 PM   #1065
Give me a forum ...

Ouch... sounds painful. I've had back issues a couple times in the past and do not care to repeat them... ever. I found the worst part was sitting on the toilet... in fact, I fainted once because of that pain.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:18 AM   #1066
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainsBeGone View Post
Today is my 3rd day laying on my back on a heat pad. My back seized up on Wednesday (during exercise - trying to be healthy can be bad for your health!) and made me bed-bound the rest of the day. Went to the doc yesterday for a shot in the back and pain-killers, and today things are starting to loosen up to where I can stretch a little in between sessions of the heat pad.
Hope you are feeling better soon, chainsbegone. I have had that happen in the past and also found heat packs helpful. Massage balls worked good, too, and yoga has helped for long term prevention. My back muscles used to be pretty tight so the wrong twist or turn could put them in spasm.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:32 AM   #1067

Our main event for the day was a nice dinner out at a Japanese Hibachi restaurant. We had a younger crowd at our table and most of them spent the night on their cell phones. I guess I am showing my age, but I don't know why they didn't simply talk to the friends who were there in person sitting next to them.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #1068
Recycles dryer sheets

Back pain is feeling much better and much improved. Thanks for the well wishes, this is an amazing community.

pb4uski - I couldn't agree more, the toilet was a killer!
Old 05-07-2016, 07:50 PM   #1069

Quote:
Back pain is feeling much better and much improved. Thanks for the well wishes, this is an amazing community.

pb4uski - I couldn't agree more, the toilet was a killer!
Is this a permanent back injury or are the muscle weak in your back? My mom, whose in her 60's, was have back issues and turns out she wasn't doing enough to keep her back muscle in shape. She hasn't had a problem since her chiropractor gave her exercises. She does them every day and they are pretty simple to do. Hope yours is just weak muscles. Feel better!
Old 05-08-2016, 03:24 PM   #1070
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Is this a permanent back injury or are the muscle weak in your back? My mom, whose in her 60's, was have back issues and turns out she wasn't doing enough to keep her back muscle in shape. She hasn't had a problem since her chiropractor gave her exercises. She does them every day and they are pretty simple to do. Hope yours is just weak muscles. Feel better!
This is a long-term issue, been going on for over a decade. I have these bouts 3-4 times a year. I haven't seen a chiropractor as my insurance doesn't cover that care, but I now have an osteopathic physician available and will see her in a few weeks. I am fit and exercise regularly, but my issues are caused by an arthritic spine that works ok most of the time, but still betrays me when I least expect it.

So, feeling much better today, was able to complete the T25 stretch routine (part of a Shaun T workout) and walked the dogs. Tonight we'll meet our daughter, husband and grand-daughter for dinner to celebrate Mother's Day. We're meeting at "Bubba's 33," where you can get a burger that is 1/3 ground bacon mixed into the beef. I'm anxious to try the burger, how can it not be great?!
Old 05-08-2016, 04:53 PM   #1071

Quote:
This is a long-term issue, been going on for over a decade. I have these bouts 3-4 times a year. I haven't seen a chiropractor as my insurance doesn't cover that care, but I now have an osteopathic physician available and will see her in a few weeks. I am fit and exercise regularly, but my issues are caused by an arthritic spine that works ok most of the time, but still betrays me when I least expect it.

So, feeling much better today, was able to complete the T25 stretch routine (part of a Shaun T workout) and walked the dogs. Tonight we'll meet our daughter, husband and grand-daughter for dinner to celebrate Mother's Day. We're meeting at "Bubba's 33," where you can get a burger that is 1/3 ground bacon mixed into the beef. I'm anxious to try the burger, how can it not be great?!
Can't even imagine arthritic spine, doesn't it hurt all the time? Do the stretches really help? My mom pays the chiropractor out of pocket. It's only $40. a visit and she doesn't go that often but he has always helped her. Since giving her the back exercises, I think she told me she hasn't been there in 6 months. When my mom is lifting and carrying large weight (bales of straw, over loaded wheelbarrow), she thinks she 6 foot tall and weighs 200 lbs. but in reality she's 5'4 and weights 130 lbs. Glad to hear you are doing better and that does sound like a great burger.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #1072

Went to see "Captain America: Civil War" yesterday. Very enjoyable, top notch for those that like Marvel superhero films.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #1073

Slept late. Rainy yucky day here so just played around with the camera and a macro (close-up) lens. Posted photos here.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:02 PM   #1074

Did (doing) laundry as DW has been pretty sick all weekend and is in bed today. I cleaned the house and did the yard chores yesterday. We will have to re-visit Mother's Day maybe later this week, if she is up to it. We are expecting visitors from Illinois later this week (DW's niece and husband). They are planning on a short stay in Houston to visit us and BIL.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #1075

Got off a cruise ship in Venice and flew to London for the night. Flying home tomorrow.

Trip out of Rome to the Greek Isles and Turkey is a trip of a lifetime.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:52 PM   #1076

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Did (doing) laundry as DW has been pretty sick all weekend and is in bed today.
Hope your wife is feeling better soon.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:20 PM   #1077
Give me a forum ...

Just got back to our 2nd home in the AZ high country. This annual RV trip is a bit short (4 weeks) compared to the one last year which was twice as long. The Colorado unpredictable weather is wearing me out. So is the wind across New Mexico on I-40 on the way home.

I don't know what travel we will take for the rest of the year, but there's a pre-booked stay in a Mexican resort in late May with our children and the son-in-law.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:56 PM   #1078

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Hope your wife is feeling better soon.
Thanks, it's COPD and this time of year is tough for her.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:43 PM   #1079
Recycles dryer sheets

I caught a fish.

As a kid, I fished with my dad. I took my kids fishing a few times, but I haven't fished in twenty years. I decided to buy a license and give it a try tonight.

It took about 10 minutes of casting from the dock and one lure change, but I got a nice bass.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #1080
Administrator

Congratulations!