Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 11:16 AM   #1121
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Now she's making noises about having hardwood flooring replace the carpeting in the family room. Sigh.
Don't do it! Some day, you'll be old, and falling on that hard, cold floor won't be fun.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2016, 12:08 PM   #1122

Yesterday we went to the send off party for BIL's sort-of adopted daughter (long story) who is in the Navy reserves and was called to active duty, which she wanted. She's off to Bahrain for a year so we won't see her until next may. She's nervous about it but excited too.

Today I spent a couple hours looking at youtube videos on how to fly R/C helicopters, specifically the that is due to be delivered tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:46 PM   #1123
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yesterday we went to the send off party for BIL's sort-of adopted daughter (long story) who is in the Navy reserves and was called to active duty, which she wanted. She's off to Bahrain for a year so we won't see her until next may. She's nervous about it but excited too.

Today I spent a couple hours looking at youtube videos on how to fly R/C helicopters, specifically the that is due to be delivered tomorrow.
Like imoldernu said, wood floors are dangerous if you take a tumble. Use the funds on the helicopter. Way more fun than a broken hip!
Old 05-15-2016, 12:49 PM   #1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Like imoldernu said, wood floors are dangerous if you take a tumble. Use the funds on the helicopter. Way more fun than a broken hip!
I will try imoldernu's line out on DW, but somehow I'm doubtful it'll work.

Edit to add: As expected, her reaction was an eye roll and a "Nice try".
Old 05-15-2016, 01:18 PM   #1125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday I was productive; today not so much...

After RTFM online, I finally got the HDMI ARC working, so I can now route the OTA signal from the tv speaker to the surround system.

Also saved a thought-dead hard drive. Turns out the usb enclosure was dead. New enclosure from Amazon, and voila, working!

My drone still sits, waiting for me to crash it, some more. Partly neglect and procrastination, and partly the spring winds here on the southern plains.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 05-15-2016, 02:51 PM   #1126
Administrator

Yesterday evening, we went to see the Cole Porter musical Anything Goes at the Goodspeed Opera House in East Haddam, CT. We ate a very lovely dinner before the show at the Gelston House Inn, which is right next door.

Here is a picture of both -- the Goodspeed is on the left and the Gelston House on the right. The water is the Connecticut River.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EastHaddam.jpg (235.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-15-2016, 04:39 PM   #1127
Give me a forum ...

Talk about falling and breaking bones, my father-in-law fell on carpeted stairs, and broke his hip. Then, he fell again in the nursing home and broke his arm. Twice. After the bones healed, he was too weak to even stand up on his own, and became wheelchair-bound.

He was a slim guy, and not tall (less distance to the ground!). The carpet did not help him. I say you need to pave your home with marshmallow for protection once you are that frail.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-15-2016, 05:06 PM   #1128
Gone but not forgotten

We went to see "Money Monster ". It was a pretty good movie but not as good as " The big Short ".
Old 05-15-2016, 05:50 PM   #1129
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
... Oh - - this is the "what did you do today" thread. Oops. Well, basically we haven't been doing much and I like the freedom of our rather loosely organized retirement. Usually we get together to split a light restaurant lunch, then go on a pleasure drive, run errands, maybe go to the gym, and enjoy time together at home. That is what we did yesterday, minus the gym.
On the way home from church and shopping, I heard "Me & Bobby McGee". The lyrics reminded me of how often I hear the term "Freedom" on this forum. That was definitely a different time and a different "Freedom".

Old 05-15-2016, 06:29 PM   #1130

Love that song. Did you happen to catch the PBS special on Janis Joplin last week?
Old 05-15-2016, 07:10 PM   #1131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Love that song. Did you happen to catch the PBS special on Janis Joplin last week?
Maybe it will be available on the internet soon. (I don't have a TV.)
Old 05-16-2016, 05:16 AM   #1132

Yesterday: cleaned the kitchen and reorganized sheet music. I did a rare weekend grocery shopping trip. Today: pack, do online check-in, call the credit card companies, set my cell phone up for Europe. Tomorrow: I'm off to a music festival in Alba, Italy. Without family. We perform May 28th and will rehearse daily (unless we take some time off. The rest of the time we're free. Alba is the white truffle capital of the world. Alas, it isn't truffle season.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-16-2016, 07:02 AM   #1133

Third great run in a week. Perfect weather for it lately.

I had very severe hip pain last summer, so bad I couldn't even walk a short distance without yelping. I thought it was a minor thing, but X-ray and MRI showed it was arthritis that had snuck up on me without warning. The doc said I was "on track for a hip replacement" which boggled my mind since I had always been a runner with no problems.

Then I spent about six months as practically a couch potato, doing no exercise at all. The pain gradually diminished and eventually disappeared. Then I began walking for exercise, which seemed to be fine. After a while, I started some gentle jogging and to my amazement it didn't hurt.

Now I'm doing 10-12 miles a week regularly, using the Jeff Galloway method (30 seconds running, 30 seconds walking). Still pain free, so I'll keep it up as long as I can since it feels so good to be back doing it again.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:27 AM   #1134
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Yesterday: cleaned the kitchen and reorganized sheet music. I did a rare weekend grocery shopping trip. Today: pack, do online check-in, call the credit card companies, set my cell phone up for Europe. Tomorrow: I'm off to a music festival in Alba, Italy. Without family. We perform May 28th and will rehearse daily (unless we take some time off. The rest of the time we're free. Alba is the white truffle capital of the world. Alas, it isn't truffle season.

I'm jealous. What will you be singing/playing at the festival?
Old 05-16-2016, 07:36 AM   #1135
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday went to my grand nephew and grand niece birthday party. Lots of screaming kids. It was brutal. Day 3 of paleo diet - ran 9 miles - wasn't too bad for having low carbs. Today getting an oil change in my truck, some woodworking and yard work.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:23 AM   #1136
Give me a forum ...

Just came back in from the heat. While we were away for a month, our vegetable garden all went to seed with the heat, and the snap peas all dried up.

So, I helped my wife pull them up (yes, it's her garden more than mine), and save the seeds for next season.

I fertilized my beloved tomato plants (yes, these are mine as I planted them from seeds).

Now, I am resting before making my lunch. Life can be better, but probably not by much.

"Sun shines, on my shoulders, make my skin dark..."

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-16-2016, 02:57 PM   #1137

The freezer that DW ordered arrived and seems to be working fine. At the moment she's off baby sitting grandnephews. The Blade 230C helicopter I ordered from Amazon arrived but I had to return it because the tail rotor motor wouldn't turn. There was a buzzing from the ESC (speed control) so that was probably the real issue. I'm still debating whether to reorder but I probably will.

After I realized that the 230C was going to be too big to fly inside I ordered a Blade Nano, a palm-sized helicopter and that will be here Friday. I'll practice with that and then reconsider the larger helicopter.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:16 PM   #1138
Give me a forum ...

Went to the store for spackle and drop cloths, got Lucy a new bag of rawhide chews, ate a $30 lunch at the sushi bar and did more ceiling cleaning, took down 2 old ceiling fans and tossed them inna trash.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:25 PM   #1139

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
I'm jealous. What will you be singing/playing at the festival?

I will be playing bass flute, flute, and piccolo in a flute choir. Also in a flute quartet.

Old 05-16-2016, 05:40 PM   #1140

I went looking for the red-shouldered hawk's nest that a neighbor mentioned seeing not far from my house. I had a general idea where to find it, and while I was searching for it another neighbor came by and pointed it out for me. There was a hawk in the nest, so I watched it for about 15 minutes until my arms got tired from holding the binoculars.
Closed Thread