Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 11:41 AM   #1161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Wow, that sounds brutal. I think I spent two hours in the chair once and felt like I'd run a marathon.
+1

I have been having a lot of dental work lately (3 implants, a root canal, numerous cavities, ). But gosh, I don't think I have spent more than an hour in the chair any of those times. I think 4.5 hours would do me in, for sure.

Not only that, but paying for 3 crowns all at once? Not the most relaxing of experiences at all. My sympathies.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 01:21 PM   #1162
Give me a forum ...

SIL arrived today for visit. I am doomed, outnumbered, two women in the house.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #1163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Some years ago, I observed that when my parents met with their friends, much of the talk revolved around exchanging stories of health problems, maladies, and treatments.

Darn, us geezers on this forum sound the same. There's no escaping the law of nature, is there?

Thankfully, I don't have anything beyond the usual aches and pains that come with aging, and, therefore, don't have much to complain about. But I'm sure that chronic pain, chemo/radiation, or some other issue that required multiple, side-effect-inducing medications, and frequent doctor visits, would likely bring out the curmudgeon-on-steroids...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 05-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #1164

Got two new R/C helicopters in today (one was scheduled for tomorrow). The Blade 230 is much too large to even think about flying inside - took that out in the back yard with very light winds, took off and hovered it for a minute or so and brought it back down. My ability to control it is marginal at best so that will wait until I have better skills.

By then I had a battery charged for the Blade Nano, a palm-sized helicopter that will literally fit in your palm. How they get all the electronics that small and still retail it at an affordable price is beyond me. Anyway, I had two or three successful but short flights in the family room and decided to try out this "Panic Mode" that is supposed to hold it in a level hover while the pilot collects his/her wits. Pressing that button sent it climbing and moving to the left and by the time I'd about recovered it hit the vertical blinds and damaged (I think) the control board when it hit the floor. All the servos work but they don't follow commands.

I'm going to send it in for repair. The repair rate is $40/hour in 15 minute increments and I doubt it'll take more than a half hour for someone with the right tools and experience, which I don't have, to repair it. To buy a new one is a bit over $100.

Oh well, that's how we learn....

Edit to add: After making this post I thought "Maybe there is a youtube video on this" and there was! Remove the connectors and two screws, I'm pretty sure I can do that so I'll just order the main board.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:20 PM   #1165
Moderator Emeritus

Paid bills online and by check, paid property taxes at the bank, ordered a wedding gift, ran the big car through state emission check, got a new windshield installed. Meanwhile nonengineer and extremely unhandy DH "supervised" $$ emergency sewer line replacement while I was otherwise engaged. Much surreptitious winking by head guy at me before I took off as DH repeated the issues head guy already knew about from the guy who was here yesterday. What's that old price list where the cost goes up if the homeowner "helps"?
Old 05-19-2016, 03:35 PM   #1166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Thankfully, I don't have anything beyond the usual aches and pains that come with aging, and, therefore, don't have much to complain about. But I'm sure that chronic pain, chemo/radiation, or some other issue that required multiple, side-effect-inducing medications, and frequent doctor visits, would likely bring out the curmudgeon-on-steroids...
The ailments my mother has are nothing unusual for someone in her 80s. It could not be that bad, for her to be able to dress up and to go out of the house every day to go window shopping. Yes, every single day, as she is an extrovert.

My siblings are all in town, see her often, and we have told each other just to keep silent when she describes in details each of her problems for the 20th time.

By the way, when we are old, pain becomes a normal thing, and we should get used to it. As George Burns said,

"You know you are old when everything hurts. What does not hurt does not work" -- George Burns

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-19-2016, 05:29 PM   #1167
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's 4:30. How did I ever have time to work?

Started my day by watching the two-year-old so my son could go to his post-op appointment. Then I did their dishes while playing with him. Then they got back and I went home, pick up my grandson, took him back to my son's house so that he could study for his Statistics final tomorrow. Went down to Concord PD and got my Clipper card. Really nice cop down there. Then it went to the store and I got one anniversary present, ran out of time had to go back and get my grandson. Dropped him off at Bart so he could get back to the dorms at state, went back to the store, and picked up one birthday present. I'm still short two birthday presents. Wrapped 1 birthday, 1 anniversary, & 2 wedding presents.

It's now 4:30 and I finally get to have my lunchtime cup of coffee!
Old 05-21-2016, 04:39 PM   #1168
Administrator

Got our Global Entry cards in the mail today, one week after the interview.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:18 PM   #1169

I'm sitting in my back porch(or California room) basking in the glory of a sunny day in Southern Cal for a change. It has been gloomy the whole week. I'm procrastinating in packing for my trip next week. I had a good 2 hours massage and my hair dyed and cut yesterday. I should look younger because the gray hair is no longer there, it's been replaced or highlighted with blond hair now. Ready to impress my relatives and friends in Europe.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:27 PM   #1170
Moderator Emeritus

Bought a new Honda - pressure washer. Then went crazy power washing the deck, landscaping outcropping stone, deck furniture. Hooked it up to the sprinkler system for extra volume. Finished a table top for my SIL's "she shed".
What did you do today? 2016 version
Old 05-21-2016, 06:48 PM   #1171

What did you do today? 2016 version

Paddled a kayak down a stretch of the Tioughnioga river. The water is to shallow and got hung up in the rocks a few times but worth the effort. Saw two bald eagles in flight along with a nesting pair. Also paddled through a swarm of swallows that were feeding on a hatch of mayflies, pretty cool!
Old 05-21-2016, 06:50 PM   #1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Paddled a kayak down a stretch of the Tioughnioga river. The water is to shallow and got hung up in the rocks a few times but worth the effort. Saw two bald eagles in flight along with a nesting pair. Also paddled through a swarm of swallows that were feeding on a hatch of mayflies, pretty cool!

Forgot to add photoImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1463878189.288229.jpg
Old 05-22-2016, 02:00 AM   #1173

What did I do today? Well it's morning here in Alba, Italy. Arrived Wednesday morning and started rehearsals Wednesday afternoon. The music festival kicked off Friday night. Concerts are at 5:30 PM and 9 PM.

Instantly made new friends in our flute choir. We'll do pictures in our concert attire next weekend.

Meanwhile...walking 3-5 miles/day. Practicing or rehearsing 2-4 hr per day. Our practice room is a beautiful wood floored room on the second floor of the tiny college campus.

Got myself a sinus infection from the flight. Tried to get Flonase..needs a prescription here. Saline nose wash...10 Euros. No thanks. I got some rest last night by skipping the concert.

3 concerts today; 2 rehearsals. No time for dinner but I'm really happy.

Here are some pictures. The last one is the view from our practice room.ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1463903892.903321.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1463903931.605011.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1463903984.644544.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1463904015.882156.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-22-2016, 12:22 PM   #1174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Forgot to add photo
Way cool. Thanks for posting the picture.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 05-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #1175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
What did I do today? Well it's morning here in Alba, Italy. Arrived Wednesday morning and started rehearsals Wednesday afternoon. The music festival kicked off Friday night. Concerts are at 5:30 PM and 9 PM.
That sounds really exciting. It looks like a lovely place. I hope you feel better soon.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 05-22-2016, 04:19 PM   #1176

Went to church this morning. Stopped at Home Depot for some construction materials. The snow is long gone and it is 67 degrees with clear blue skies. There are a bunch of deer wondering through the aspen grove about 20 feet behind my motor home as I write this. Life is good!
Old 05-22-2016, 04:31 PM   #1177
Full time employment: Posting here.

Drove back home from Columbia, SC. Attended a 3 day camp covering design software that I use on my CNC machine. Software is called Aspire, produced by an English company called Vectric. Several presenters there from Vectric and their presentations were excellent. Mostly covered making 3D relief models. Hoping to give some of what I learned a try this week.

One bit of excitement last night, hotel might not have been in the best part of town? About 1AM, I was awakened by 5 pistol shots from a drive by shooting directed at some rooms at the second floor just down from my room on the first floor. I recognized the noise as shots immediately and went to the back of the room and in to the bathroom in case it wasn't over. Tried to put a few more walls and a bathtub between me and outside. Only the one burst, turns out a couple of spurned suitors had followed two young ladies to the hotel from the local Waffle House and fired the shots as they raced away. That's the story according to the desk clerk when I checked out about 6 this morning. I went back to sleep once I saw police cars had arrived.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:35 PM   #1178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
The snow is long gone and it is 67 degrees with clear blue skies.
Yep, that's the Front Range alright!
One of my favorite memories comes from when I lived in Colo Spgs long ago. We had 10 inches of snow one evening and I played golf the next afternoon. When the air is that dry, it sublimates instead of melting.

But enjoy it while you can. I also remember snow in June!
Old 05-22-2016, 04:45 PM   #1179

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Yep, that's the Front Range alright!
One of my favorite memories comes from when I lived in Colo Spgs long ago. We had 10 inches of snow one evening and I played golf the next afternoon. When the air is that dry, it sublimates instead of melting.

But enjoy it while you can. I also remember snow in June!
Old 05-22-2016, 04:52 PM   #1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Hey, don't be that way. A bunch of us used to go up to A-Basin and ski in shorts and T-shirts in early June.
Closed Thread