Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 04:29 PM   #1301

Great minds ...

(us, too!)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2016, 09:03 PM   #1302
Administrator

Went to church, then to lunch. Came back home and watched "Roman Holiday" on Netflix. Then bottled 5 gallons of ale.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:06 PM   #1303
Moderator Emeritus

Watched Golden State trounce Cleveland in game two.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:42 PM   #1304
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
+1
Old 06-06-2016, 04:51 AM   #1305
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

Caught most of the fourth quarter, after watching reruns of Madame Secretary (Tea Leoni, nuff said!).

Spent about three hours powerwashing the patio, as well as one garage wall and the garage door, in prep for painting that I'm trying to convince myself to start today. Two-day process of primer, then paint. Already on cup two of a pot o' coffee, but inertia is a powerful force...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 06-06-2016, 09:21 AM   #1306
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Caught most of the fourth quarter, after watching reruns of Madame Secretary (Tea Leoni, nuff said!).

Spent about three hours powerwashing the patio, as well as one garage wall and the garage door, in prep for painting that I'm trying to convince myself to start today. Two-day process of primer, then paint. Already on cup two of a pot o' coffee, but inertia is a powerful force...

Primer coat completed!

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 06-06-2016, 11:07 AM   #1307
Full time employment: Posting here.

It was raining. Last night saw a rerun of Dick Cavett where the entire show was an interview with Norman Mailer who had written a bio on Marilyn Monroe. I love the old Dick Cavett reruns. Most of the subjects are long dead now, so it is amazing to see and remember them in their prime.

Today tried to reserve the book but there was no audio version of it. I mostly "read" while I'm doing something else. Came upon Marilyn by Gloria Steinem. That was a digital book available for a one-day lend and readable only in Adobe Editions. I spent an enjoyable afternoon reading the entire thing.

I can't imagine ever doing something like that while still working - meandering down a path that takes half a day just for the pleasure of it.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:36 PM   #1308
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
If you're cooking pizza at high temperature (I like to do it around 550-600°F ), then 00 flour is essential. Regular flour will burn at those temps. I don't see any benefit to using 00 for any other purpose.
Never understood why, just figured it was to help make the crust thin since it seems to come out lighter, if that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

The recipe we use calls for a thin crust cooked quickly at high heat. First on one side with just the crust (few minutes), then remove, flip, put on your toppings (not too heavy), and return to the grill for a few more minutes. I've got a Weber Summit 600 series, so it can get hot. 600+ at the hood, not sure at the grates.

Really like the way it turns out. Matter of fact we haven't done it for a while and it's on the short list for an upcoming dinner.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:34 PM   #1309
Give me a forum ...

I cancelled an early morning tee time due to rain and high winds, then spent a couple hours adding to my "acoustic song book".

I'm making a binder with lyrics and chord changes for songs. These are mostly "campfire" songs for singalongs, although a couple of my bands play some of them. As I'm primarily a bassist, this helps me keep my guitar chops up.

Today I added 2 songs: America's "Sister Golden Hair" and also made a second page with an alternate version for a 2nd guitar using a capo. The other song was Neil Young's "Heart of Gold".
Wind chimes
Old 06-06-2016, 06:07 PM   #1310

Wind chimes

For my birthday my DW bought me a set of butterfly wind chimes which I love. These match the butterfly mobile in our front yard that her sons bought us some time ago.
The problem was all the parts were hung together with black thread, and i knew they would not last in the sun. So i went on eBay and bought 100 pound test black braided fishing line and spent part of the afternoon restringing the whole thing.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:02 PM   #1311

Got my repaired helicopter back today. With a functional gimbal in the transmitter it works fine, if a bit sensitive.

The photo is of "the fleet". The smallest one is literally "palm size" and the largest has a 21" rotor diameter. I bought the large one (Blade 230 S) first and quickly decided this was beyond my skill level to start so I set it aside. Then I bought the smallest one (Blade Nano CP S), also a collective pitch helicopter, and it flew okay for a short time but then developed a defect that was replaced under warranty. In the meantime, thinking the problem was me, I bought the middle one (Blade 120 S), which is a fixed pitch helicopter. Being fixed pitch makes it slower to react to control inputs so I thought it would be easier to learn with. With some caveats, it is.

It's too windy now to even think of flying any of these.

DW has expressed weariness that the dining room table looks like a miniature airport. I'd keep 'em downstairs but my leg is still sore from the fall so that's my story excuse reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The_fleet.jpg (92.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-07-2016, 05:07 PM   #1312

I am entertaining my first post-retirement cold. Since I'm retired I threw in a case of pink-eye. Really fun.
Funny, I still have that "guilt" about being sick and not being able to "do" anything.

The good thing is that the timing is perfect. No travel planned. No company coming. As good a time as any to be laid up.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:05 AM   #1313
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sold an old air conditioner on Craigslist. The first guy who set a time to come get it actually showed at that time, early even, and bought it.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:48 AM   #1314
Administrator

Just got a corrected 1099 from Fidelity, now I know what I'll be doing the next couple of days - refiling.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:10 AM   #1315
Recycles dryer sheets

Spent time with DH and picked out a Groupon restaurant for father's Day.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:14 PM   #1316

First day back at the gym since about March 20 when we drove down to VA for the cardiac ablation. Complications from that and then a fall kept me out of the gym and in healing-up mode. And I'm still sore in lots of places but the doc said the gym was okay, but start out slow of course.

Okay, I knew there was going to be some atrophy, but wow! A couple of exercises I couldn't even finish even at a lower intensity, the weights I could lift were half or two-thirds, one was less than half. Hopefully I didn't push too hard and I'll be able to get out of bed tomorrow morning. I can see it is going to take a while to get back where I was.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #1317
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
...Hopefully I didn't push too hard and I'll be able to get out of bed tomorrow morning...
A time will come when we consider being able to get out of bed without help an accomplishment, never mind going to the gym.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-09-2016, 05:19 PM   #1318
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Went for a 2 mile walk, early and short ahead of storms.
Went to doctor, had to wait an hour, are doctors allowed to have appointments on time?
He was terribly concerned about cholesterol, and I will try a new drug.
I brought my BP machine to show him that BP was only high at doctor visits. 112/74 at home, 154/99 at office.
Getting old sucks moose balls.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 06-09-2016, 05:34 PM   #1319
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Went to doctor, had to wait an hour, are doctors allowed to have appointments on time? ..............I brought my BP machine to show him that BP was only high at doctor visits. 112/74 at home, 154/99 at office.
Reminds me of a conversation with a former doc.

Him- "Why is your blood pressure so high today?"
Me- "Because you have kept me waiting for two hours".
Him- "It is the office help's fault, they schedule the appointments too closely.
Me on the way out, to the office staff -"Dr. X said I had to wait because you schedule the appointments too closely."

I never went back to see if they'd decided whose fault it really was.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:37 PM   #1320
Give me a forum ...

Office staff: "We give him more appointments, so he needs to work faster to make more money to give us raises".

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Closed Thread