Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 06:18 AM   #1341
Full time employment: Posting here.

Rehearsed with the Baroque music group that I will be performing with in 2 weeks. Sounded like the pieces are coming together nicely. Also, I was approached about a possible gig in the fall, as well. This just may be the excuse I need to buy another couple of instruments.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 09:22 AM   #1342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Today was Choir Sunday at church, when all the choirs sing for a last time and then take a hiatus until fall. I am in two different choirs. One sings the traditional pieces and the other the more contemporary stuff. I did these two pieces today, one with each choir:
That's quite a contrast of musical styles in one service!

Yesterday afternoon our church choir had the last rehearsal for our upcoming performance tour to Salzburg, Vienna, and Prague. Our repertoire includes 2 pieces in German and 3 in Latin (including Morten Lauridsen's O Nata Lux), several familiar American spirituals, and a piece whose original words came from the wall of home where Jews hid from the Nazis:

We get to sing in the Salzburg Dom and Vienna cathedral as well as a large church in Prague. Plus a lot of sightseeing. We have about 30 singers plus non-singing spouses and friends. Should be a wonderful experience!
Old 06-13-2016, 03:00 PM   #1343
Administrator

Been watching some Euro 2016 matches. I've seen three so far - England - Russia, Germany - Ukraine, Italy - Belgium. A very high level of play so far.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:22 PM   #1344
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

mbaustin, I am often in Vienna and Salzburg and frequent both Cathedrals. What fun you will have! My favorite cities ever!
Old 06-15-2016, 08:01 AM   #1345
Full time employment: Posting here.

Early morning workout (it was odd to be at the gym with w$@king folk after 5 yrs of FIRE. They are much more focused than the late-morning folk!). Meeting with a realtor shortly to view townhomes in our target coastal cities. Afterward, we'll stop off at the market to pick up groceries for an upcoming backpacking trip we're heading out to do with a group of friends in the low Sierras. Life in FIRE is good!
Old 06-15-2016, 12:13 PM   #1346

This is the second week back at the gym after my long layoff, things are progressing, but very slowly. It's going to take a long time to get back to where I was.

The air was calm enough to try flying the little R/C airplane yesterday afternoon/evening. Photos by DW.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blue_Sport_Cub-4.jpg (376.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Blue_Sport_Cub-1.jpg (419.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Blue_Sport_Cub-2.jpg (23.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Blue_Sport_Cub-3.jpg (344.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 06-15-2016, 07:22 PM   #1347
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a fun day with my 8 year old daughter. We made cupcakes this morning, went to an open gym so she can practice gymnastics while we are staying in the mountains this week. Then we did some crafts and I took her to the pool. Tomorrow, DH, DD, the dog, and I are spending the day paddleboarding and relaxing at our favorite mountain lake.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:03 PM   #1348
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Became a grandfather for the second time. Baby Madelyn Grace, 8 lbs. 5 oz, born this afternoon. Mom and daughter healthy and feeling good. DW was the birthing assistant since son-in-law is deployed. My main job (other than fetching and carrying) was keeping 10 y.o. DGD#1 company while the "gross stuff" was happening.

I was hoping she could hold out three more days, going for Paul McCartney's birthday. DD was born on John Lennon's, and DGD#1 was born on George Harrison's. But the babies come when they choose, and certainly not on my schedule. DD had been all for it, until the contractions started. Then, not so much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maddy.jpg (66.2 KB, 41 views)
Old 06-15-2016, 10:00 PM   #1349
Moderator Emeritus

Aw!!! She's ADORABLE, Harley! Such a precious new life.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-15-2016, 11:22 PM   #1350
Give me a forum ...

We spent the afternoon at the Oakland Zoo. The highlight was seeing 3 baby warthogs - pictures here:

Zoo Press Releases - Baby Warthogs

I guess there were two litters this spring but we just saw the one group of three out with mom.

Harley - Congratulations on the new granddaughter.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 06-16-2016, 07:48 AM   #1351
Gone but not forgotten

Harley, She is beautiful !
Old 06-16-2016, 08:55 AM   #1352
Administrator

Congraduations, Harley!
Old 06-16-2016, 09:39 AM   #1353
Give me a forum ...

Harley--She is beautiful!

Age 59
will retire in November, Age 60
could have retired age 55 with full pension, staying for the significant health insurance benefit.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:17 PM   #1354
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Life on the island

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1466111889633.jpg (51.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 06-16-2016, 03:19 PM   #1355
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Life on the island
Witty T-shirt!
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 06-16-2016, 05:34 PM   #1356
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Life on the island
It's a pretty cool place. Also Matlacha. We try to get there once a year at least.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:47 PM   #1357
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations, Harley!
Old 06-17-2016, 04:13 AM   #1358
Administrator

Watched a couple of Euro 2016 matches. England - Wales went right down to the wire. The bet moment on camera was off the pitch when they showed a Welsh lad crying for his team. His mates saw his image on the stadium big screen, they told him, he looked up, the tears stopped and then turned to cheers and he led a cheer that had the entire Welsh section on their feet shouting for their team.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:28 AM   #1359

Also watching a lot of "football" these days although I missed the England-Wales match yesterday. I don't think we've seen the best from the Euro teams yet.

The USA-Ecuador game last night was very encouraging for the USA, except for losing 3 players on cards for the next match.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #1360
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just got home from a grocery run. Preparations for tomorrow's 20th annual motorcycle ride-in are underway. Last year more than 2,000 bikes.

Welcome to Cavalier