Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #1461
Recycles dryer sheets

What did I do today?
Woke up at 5:30 am, had coffee. Did my usual news/financial reading. Got picked up at 7:30 to go to the range. Put about 300 rounds of 9 mil and .45 acp down range. Did the pistol competition course against a local police offer. (that is good fun!)
Got home about 10. Ran by my former employer to handle some paperwork, went to the grocery store, then the gym.
Cleaned my weapons in the afternoon, a little housework thrown in . Late in the afternoon, I opened a beer and am watching the Cubs.
Currently have elk steaks marinating for dinner.

I am in bachelorhood-mode as DW is visiting family back East. Life is good

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2016, 08:56 AM   #1462
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday I picked up my SO from the hospital . He had a total knee replacement Thursday and was released Friday . He is already walking without a walker and only occasionally using a cane . His bounce back ability amazes me . When He had his triple bypass he was out of the hospital in three days and back to normal very quickly .

Old 07-09-2016, 09:08 AM   #1463
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkevin View Post
What did I do today?
Woke up at 5:30 am, had coffee. Did my usual news/financial reading. Got picked up at 7:30 to go to the range. Put about 300 rounds of 9 mil and .45 acp down range. Did the pistol competition course against a local police offer. (that is good fun!)
Got home about 10. Ran by my former employer to handle some paperwork, went to the grocery store, then the gym.
Cleaned my weapons in the afternoon, a little housework thrown in . Late in the afternoon, I opened a beer and am watching the Cubs.
Currently have elk steaks marinating for dinner.

I am in bachelorhood-mode as DW is visiting family back East. Life is good
Any day you can push 300 rounds down range is a great one. Reminds me I have to load up 500 or so before I take down my Dillion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 07-10-2016, 07:51 AM   #1464

It helps people with a loyalty program.

But back on topic...yesterday I made the largest lone grocery shopping trip of my life! Usually DW does it (yes I'm spoiled). This run was for the non-perishables for a week on a houseboat with 4 others. All I did was execute on a list my sister put together (she's the houseboat queen). The hardest part about it was determining what was "large" and "small" of things when there were 20 sizes to choose from.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #1465

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I skipped Schonbrunn on this trip to Vienna having seen it twice before - but it's an amazing place, including the gardens.

The Albertina exhibit of Monet-Picasso I thought was extremely well done, and I enjoyed their small selection of furnished state rooms as well.

Definitely enjoyed the strudel as well. Hope you continue to have a great trip - I got back Monday night and am still in a little bit of withdrawal.
Ah, yes. Schonbrunn palace vs Palais Schonburg. We only walked the grounds of Schonbrunn this time. To much to go inside, and we headed to Albertina.

The state rooms were closed off temporarily. We went through the Jim Dine exhibit. ALBERTINA - Current

On previous days we visited the Jewish museums:
Visit | Jüdisches Museum Wien

We left early Saturday morning and were able to burn off our last $150 euros.

TIP: If it can be avoided, do not make connections at CDG Paris.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:35 AM   #1466
Give me a forum ...

The day is young, and we have a lot of work in front of us. Need to pack up, and drive back up to our high-country home to continue work on the big deck. They are delivering the Trex boards tomorrow. See y'all later.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:01 PM   #1467
Give me a forum ...

So, I am now at 7,000' lounging around in a breezy 88F (31C) temperature, and a low humidity of 18%. What a reprieve from the 110F (43C) oven of the low desert.

As usual, the front door and the back patio doors are opened to allow the wind to blow in from one side of the house to exit the other side. When I told my daughter on the phone about the temperature here, she went "Arghhh!".

Yes, tomorrow the workers will be back to facing rush hour traffic, roasting in their vehicles. When your car sits out in the sun all day and its interior gets heat soaked up to 140F or higher, it does not really cool down with the AC until you are already close to home. Just one more incentive for people to try to save to retire early.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:19 PM   #1468
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was a docent on the caboose on the Fillmore & Western Tourist Railroad. Had a professor and his wife and daughter on way, and a husband & wife, and their son and DIL on the return trip.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:48 AM   #1469

We saw Brit Floyd at the Warfield in San Francisco last night. We both loved the show. DH first saw them on a PBS Special - Brit Floyd Live at Red Rocks, and was happy to have the chance to see them in person:

Today we went into SF again to see a film noir musical, City of Angels.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:12 AM   #1470
Give me a forum ...

DH received his first social security payment today. The best way we know to celebrate....Las Vegas baby!
Old 07-13-2016, 11:43 AM   #1471
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
DH received his first social security payment today. The best way we know to celebrate....Las Vegas baby!
You're scaring me.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:21 PM   #1472
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
You're scaring me.
Too bad there isn't a female version of this, but hey...it'll do....

Old 07-13-2016, 02:27 PM   #1473
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hot damn! You two are not getting older, you're getting better!

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:55 PM   #1474

Drove to Charlottesville, VA for an early AM follow-up doctor appointment at the hospital tomorrow. Yes, we could have gotten up at 0'dark thirty and driven down but this way we don't have to do that and then have some wreck on the interstate make us late and have to reschedule. It takes about three months to get an appointment with this guy.

Besides, once in a while DW likes the luxury of staying in a hotel and eating meals out. And the hotel has a special low rate for people here medical visits at the hospital, ~$65 off the regular rate. That's a discount I hadn't thought about to ask for but I overheard someone else mention it when checking in last time.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:31 PM   #1475

We saw The Fixx at a club called the Ritz in San Jose on Monday. That was a lot of fun. They still sound the same after all these years. The club was packed and half the people were younger, which surprised me, but they seemed to know all the songs. Yesterday we saw the play Fences at an outdoor amphitheater with a pre-show picnic with friends. We enjoyed that as well. The actors did a great job. Today was lunch at a pub and the rest of the day is catching up on errands and chores.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:43 PM   #1476
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Hot damn! You two are not getting older, you're getting better!
Your remarks are always so sweet.

I say...'to heck with the calendars!'
Old 07-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #1477
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
May your SS check multiply ten-fold at the poker table.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:56 PM   #1478

Whoo Hoo, I'm off the anti-coagulant drug!

While it does have it's uses, it is also a pita and has risks in other ways. Every little cut may seep for hours so one has to put at least a band-aid on it. Forget shaving with anything but an electric razor. When I had a fall in the garage the damage was much worse because of that drug. Any injury that can cause bleeding, either external or internal, is going to be worse because of it. That's the reason that pushed me over the edge to sell the motorcycle. At age 66, I'm not going to replace it and my helmet has been hung up permanently. It was fun while it lasted but that time has passed.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:03 PM   #1479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Whoo Hoo, I'm off the anti-coagulant drug!

While it does have it's uses, it is also a pita and has risks in other ways. Every little cut may seep for hours so one has to put at least a band-aid on it. Forget shaving with anything but an electric razor. When I had a fall in the garage the damage was much worse because of that drug. Any injury that can cause bleeding, either external or internal, is going to be worse because of it. That's the reason that pushed me over the edge to sell the motorcycle. At age 66, I'm not going to replace it and my helmet has been hung up permanently. It was fun while it lasted but that time has passed.
+1
Old 07-14-2016, 02:07 PM   #1480

Great news, Walt!

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)