Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-19-2016, 05:55 AM   #1521
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
What is a Long John? A doughnut shaped like the one above, in these parts at least. Also called crullers.
Yes, exactly. In NYC we called them crullers.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 06:12 AM   #1522
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
DW just returned from Chicago and brought me something called a "Long John."

Yes, that is a full strip of bacon on it, covered in a maple glaze.

Yes, it really is not that bad.
It is true that scary looking things do not have to taste bad. However, taking the 1st bite either requires some courage, or the recognition of the constituents of the "thing", as in this case.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:23 AM   #1523

Nothing scary looking about a crueller with maple glaze and a slice of bacon. The only courage needed is to look at the scale and check the weight gain the next day.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:26 AM   #1524
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps Braumeister's photo does not do this delicacy justice, or maybe I still have bleary eyes in this early morning hour (4AM here), but it first looked a bit scary to me. I asked myself "what animal is that".
Old 07-19-2016, 06:27 AM   #1525
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Nothing scary looking about a crueller with maple glaze and a slice of bacon. The only courage needed is to look at the scale and check the weight gain the next day.
By my calculations, it was worth it.
No different than my celebration of National Ice Cream Day on Sunday.
But those things need to be few and far between, alas.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:32 AM   #1526

Bacon covered long johns are the biggest sellers at our local bakery. And for good reason - they combine a donut with bacon, so they provide a complete breakfast. And they are delicious!
Old 07-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #1527
Give me a forum ...

Not today... but actually last Sunday... I sailed in my first competitive sailboat race in perhaps 25 years. When I was a teen/young adult we had races every Sunday afternoon with points towards an end of season championship culminating on Labor Day weekend. After the first few years I was usually in the hunt (top 3) and won many races and won the singles championship one year. My participation petered out in the late 80s (after winning with DD in doubles) and the races petered out in the early 2000s.

They revived things with a one day race this year... I had a great start and once the horn sounded and I hauled things in tight I thought.... ah, I remember how to do this. Unfortunately I made a bit of a misjudgement rounding the first mark in the lead that allowed my closest competitor to catch up and we were neck-and-neck on the downward leg and the reach leg and I was right behind him rounding the third buoy for the windward leg to the finish. He seemed to be pointing much better than my boat so I went opposite tack on him and he didn't cover me and we were close but he ultimately won a competitive race by 20 seconds or so.

Anyhow, I think it got many of us who used to race regularly thinking of doing a race a month next summer. The way we used to race every week back in the day just got to be too much over the course of a summer and once a summer is not enough.

The most fun part was a really close cross on the first windward leg where we were both close hauled but I was on a port tack and cleared his stern by just a foot or so... reminded me of the good 'ol days. Fun!
Old 07-19-2016, 03:51 PM   #1528

Quote:
OK, I lose a buck or two in interest every year by keeping some money in my Chase account, but it has certainly proven very useful over time. You might consider it.
Good suggestion. Chase has branches nearby everywhere we hang out, so I'm looking into a no fee account option.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:00 PM   #1529

Quote:
The only courage needed is to look at the scale and check the weight gain the next day.
I think I gained a couple of pounds just looking at it.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:09 PM   #1530
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
It's generally agreed to take a 3500 calorie excess to gain one pound. How many in the innocent little long John, with bacon? Bet you can eat two and not gain a whole pound.

I must say that ain't no crueller around here. Most definitely a long John.

This morning we decided to skip the weights and walk outdoors. At 8 it was 83 an hour later 86. After two miles 89! The humidity is nasty, like breathing water. We originally joined the gym when it was too cold walking outside now it's too flipping hot!
Old 07-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #1531
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Not today... but actually last Sunday... I sailed in my first competitive sailboat race in perhaps 25 years. When I was a teen/young adult we had races every Sunday afternoon with points towards an end of season championship culminating on Labor Day weekend. After the first few years I was usually in the hunt (top 3) and won many races and won the singles championship one year. My participation petered out in the late 80s (after winning with DD in doubles) and the races petered out in the early 2000s.

They revived things with a one day race this year... I had a great start and once the horn sounded and I hauled things in tight I thought.... ah, I remember how to do this. Unfortunately I made a bit of a misjudgement rounding the first mark in the lead that allowed my closest competitor to catch up and we were neck-and-neck on the downward leg and the reach leg and I was right behind him rounding the third buoy for the windward leg to the finish. He seemed to be pointing much better than my boat so I went opposite tack on him and he didn't cover me and we were close but he ultimately won a competitive race by 20 seconds or so.

Anyhow, I think it got many of us who used to race regularly thinking of doing a race a month next summer. The way we used to race every week back in the day just got to be too much over the course of a summer and once a summer is not enough.

The most fun part was a really close cross on the first windward leg where we were both close hauled but I was on a port tack and cleared his stern by just a foot or so... reminded me of the good 'ol days. Fun!
Sounds like SO MUCH fun! Hope you all can make these races a regular event, it sounds like everyone missed them.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:38 PM   #1532
Give me a forum ...

Played my best game of golf so far.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:26 PM   #1533

pb4uski, That sounds like a great race. I don't sail but love going out with a friend that sails. We also "helped" crew one of the retired racing yachts (America's Cup). Have a great time with your future races!
Old 07-19-2016, 07:02 PM   #1534
Recycles dryer sheets

Re: Bacon topped maple glaze donut - we enjoyed one last summer at VooDoo donuts in Portland. It was fantastic!

Today was one of those nothing special, glorious days in ER. Spent time with my SIL to help her finish settling in to her new apt, then to the gym, then shopping for clothes for our upcoming family trip to Cancun. DH went on a 40 mile bike ride in the interim. After, we spent a couple of hours lazing in/by our HOA pool. Now back at home enjoying a nice glass of wine, fixings for Orange terriyaki chicken laid out and ready to go.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:25 AM   #1535

Quote:
For those of us lucky enough to have a COLA provision in our pension, it looks as if we may get one next year.
Let's Hope so!
Old 07-20-2016, 10:45 AM   #1536

New Mexico

Traveled to NM for a family reunion. Stops in Santa Fe, Taos & Red River. And, of course, had to stop @ Rio Grande gorge & walk the bridge.

It's all pretty country once you get some elevation but, it's not for us long term.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (873.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 07-20-2016, 06:53 PM   #1537
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Today I had a colonoscopy.
Are doctors required to run an hour behind schedule?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 07-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #1538
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Today I had a colonoscopy.
Are doctors required to run an hour behind schedule?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Colonoscopy? Behind? Hmmm...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:41 AM   #1539
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, this was yesterday actually, but it's what I do much of my summer, hike in the san juan mounains. Weminuche wilderness Area.
No mechanized travel whatsoever.

DSC00843.jpg
Old 07-21-2016, 12:01 PM   #1540
Give me a forum ...

Today I am home waiting for a fence installation. This project started in march . It took two months and several calls to hear back from the estimator to sign a contract then three more months waiting for installation. This project has cured me from the desire to want to build a home .