Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-24-2016, 01:21 AM   #1561
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It was hot by our house today so we headed to the coast where the weather was sunny and pleasant. We have house guests so we did some of the local tourist activities. We packed a picnic lunch, took a walk on the beach, went to open house and took the tour at the Nike Missile Site in Golden Gate National Recreation Area, visited the Marine Mammal Center and Bay Model in Sausalito and went for a hike around some of the abandoned bunkers in the Marin Headlands.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2016, 01:33 PM   #1562

...... Why do I need a brand new System 370 reference card?..... So I'm not the only one who has one of those? That's historic IBM stuff! Gotta hang on to it!

Old 07-24-2016, 01:51 PM   #1563
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Took the mutt this morning for a walk at a local city park. It was hot and humid, but my furry friend found a way to beat the heat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-07-24_10-10-08_351.jpg (108.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 07-24-2016, 02:49 PM   #1564
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
...... Why do I need a brand new System 370 reference card?..... So I'm not the only one who has one of those? That's historic IBM stuff! Gotta hang on to it!

Saw one on eBay with asking price of $20.

So, you have your reference card. The next thing is to get a System 370 sitting in your living room. It would make an interesting conversation piece.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #1565

On the hottest day of the year so far around here, 36C, about 97F, went for a 2 hour one way ride in may gas hog suburban to pick up an $80.- craiglist find woodstove.

The last year's repair of the AC in the burb worked fine, was great pleasure tooling along the highway in the full comfort of a living room couch, the ipod touch playing Boleros via the radio. All systems worked fine in 99 beast.

image 1 of 2 >
Old 07-24-2016, 03:20 PM   #1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

So, you have your reference card. The next thing is to get a System 370 sitting in your living room. It would make an interesting conversation piece.
Twenty bucks? I'm getting mine back.

You don't need a real MF, they have a version that runs on a pc. Years back a guy opens up his laptop next to me in a meeting, fires up TSO/SPF as his editor for notes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 07-24-2016, 03:34 PM   #1567
Give me a forum ...

Emulators are no conversation pieces. You need the real thing.

Next time a guy shows off his vacuum tube amp, you say "Come and I will show you my 370, then the Univac 1100".
Old 07-24-2016, 04:01 PM   #1568

Quote:
Emulators are no conversation pieces. You need the real thing.

Next time a guy shows off his vacuum tube amp, you say "Come and I will show you my 370, then the Univac 1100".
It would have the wow factor. Then there's the environmental issues and I swore I'd never go into a machine room ever! That noise, please make it stop!!!
Old 07-24-2016, 04:45 PM   #1569
Full time employment: Posting here.

I live in Philly so the big thing is the upcoming DNC. I volunteered so went down to the convention center and got my credentials.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:14 PM   #1570

Quote:

Wow! What could I get for my OS and DOS PL/1 Language Reference Manual (including chapters on the Optimizing Compiler). Did I already donate my COBOL I and COBOL II books? Oh no!
Old 07-24-2016, 06:33 PM   #1571
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Electricity was out for four hours after a transformer caught fire.
Got the generator going.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1469403190556.jpg (53.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 1469403224362.jpg (55.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 07-24-2016, 09:23 PM   #1572

Beautiful day here so I decided to go for a drive around the countryside. Summer is passing entirely too fast. Looks like the grain harvest will start in a couple of weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg media2.jpeg (21.3 KB, 177 views)
Old 07-24-2016, 09:35 PM   #1573
Give me a forum ...

I played 27 holes of golf in one day for the first time in many years. 18 holes with two BILs and a friend... I had one of my best rounds ever on my home course... net 64, 6 under par... then lunch with one BIL... then DW showed up and we played a 9 hole mixed scramble.

The scramble was tough...but we had fun. The three other players were not long hitters so there was a lot of pressure on me... I chilly-dipped our second shot on two par 5s (but was still the best of our four shots ) and then smoked a 215+ yard 5-wood onto the greens so we ended up with par on both of those par 5s.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:46 PM   #1574
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
Beautiful day here so I decided to go for a drive around the countryside. Summer is passing entirely too fast. Looks like the grain harvest will start in a couple of weeks.

Not where I am. The daily high temperature does not drop to the 70s until November.

Oh, by the way, I am back down to the low-desert home, to take a break from the deck rebuilding.

Will be back up to the high-country place in a week to finish the job. The hardest part of the deck was triangular in shape, and took more work to cut and fit the pieces (its longest dimension was 60'). The remaining areas were two rectangles about 400 sq.ft. total, and should go much faster.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:25 PM   #1575
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's been a busy day so far and it's not over yet.

- I played golf earlier...my friend and I were the first ones off the tee at 6:30 this morning.
- we stopped at a friend's place on the way home and he barbequed lunch for us
- this afternoon I rehearsed with our guitarist for an upcoming weekend gig
- I'm now heading out tonight to help another friend re-route some wiring in preparation for a patio door install

I don't know when I ever had time to w*rk!!
Old 07-25-2016, 09:04 PM   #1576

Bike ride in the morning, played with my wood lathe in the afternoon. A perfect day.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-25-2016, 10:31 PM   #1577

Quote:

I have at least 6 or 8 or more of these of varying versions as well as many other reference cards in a similar format. They were required.

You might be able to find an old P/390 for resale on the secondary, tertiary, or quaternary markets, but a real S/370 (or z/Series) mainframe would seriously challenge the typical home's power and cooling capacity to the point that you would be lucky to power it on long enough to complete an IPL ('boot' in little Indian terminology) before the thing takes a thermal check and turns itself off. Oh, . . . and even the smallest configuration would fill several rooms of a typical house.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:53 AM   #1578
Give me a forum ...

Well, if you do not have the room nor can afford the electric bill, get a PDP-11 or a table-top PDP-8 then.

And if you need to work on it, you can roll out this Tektronix RM-545 oscilloscope.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:00 PM   #1579

About 3 weeks ago I threw out a whole desk drawer of system 370 literature from the early 70s. I was working for Dayton-Hudson at the time and was sent to an IBM introduction of the 370 systems class.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:11 PM   #1580
Give me a forum ...

I think I still have my 8008 OP codes reference around here somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote