Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-01-2016, 11:01 AM   #1621
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, my own roof rats love cheese. Not cheddar but it has to be French brie.

I know, because before deploying the zapper, I fed them first with a bit of both cheeses. The brie got eaten up, but the cheddar was left behind, melted in the heat.

I guess I may try to lure them with a bit of XO Cognac next.

PS. The cheddar I used was not my favorite aged cheddar. Should have tried that, but I had some of this terrible tasteless cheddar that I wanted to get rid of. Now, I know that even the rats turn their nose at it. I do not eat the Brie. That's my wife's favorite.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 01:35 PM   #1622
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Last night I was an usher for Michael Feinstein performing with The Cleveland Orchestra. It was wonderful! The concert was at an outdoor covered pavilion with a large uncovered lawn space. We had a solid hour of heavy rain before the concert but it cleared up in time for the performance. Plenty of people filled up the lawn despite the soggy conditions. They know to bring a chair or a tarp.

Nice night!

Old 08-01-2016, 02:11 PM   #1623

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Well, my own roof rats love cheese. Not cheddar but it has to be French brie.

I know, because before deploying the zapper, I fed them first with a bit of both cheeses. The brie got eaten up, but the cheddar was left behind, melted in the heat.<snip>

Now, I know that even the rats turn their nose at it. I do not eat the Brie. That's my wife's favorite.
At least you know your rats have some class and are not the commoners that will eat anything.

Follow-up doctor appointment, so far I'm fine. Barber shop, grocery run, and home for the day.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:18 PM   #1624
Give me a forum ...

I have gotten 4 rats total. Two on that Brie. The other two with blue cheese, also my wife's. Note that they are both stinky types that are not my preference.

When we were up in the high-country home and learned of the rat infestation, I asked my son to stop by to set up the trap. He used peanut butter. When I got back in town, there was a lot of rat droppings around the trap. No rat!

The remaining rat is just too smart. I don't think it will fall for bacon or anything at this point.

By the way, the snap traps I set did go off. No rat. I need to post a photo to show the contraption I made.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:08 PM   #1625
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have gotten 4 rats total. Two on that Brie. The other two with blue cheese, also my wife's........ .
I squirreled away some Sacchrin tablets and now I use it to kill rats. It is kind of sad seeing them die slow deaths, but it is effective.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:52 PM   #1626
Give me a forum ...

Saccharin as rat poison? On the Web, they talk about studies showing rats getting cancer from it, or are you talking about something else?

In any event, I do not want to have dead roof rats up in my attic stinking up the whole house. So, no poison can be used.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #1627
Recycles dryer sheets

I always heard that rat poison causes the poisoned rat to exit the building in search of water. Thus no stinky dead rat in the attic.

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-01-2016, 08:59 PM   #1628
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
I always heard that rat poison causes the poisoned rat to exit the building in search of water. Thus no stinky dead rat in the attic.
Nope. Try it and see.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:58 AM   #1629
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
To be honest, it sounds pretty tasty to me as well.
You have to buy at least 1/2 lb of bacon. What WILL I do with all of the extra after baiting the traps? What WILL I do?
Old 08-02-2016, 08:12 AM   #1630
Recycles dryer sheets

RE: stinky dead rats.

This winter the exterminator put poison in my attic b/c the cat cannot get up there so no danger to the cat. Maybe there are some mice up there that died and stayed but I have not seen any. He also put snap traps but he came back in a week to get what they caught.

If you use poison in the winter it might be that they do die in the house but they will not smell and then they will dry up before the summer. I would not dare to put poison back up there now.

Once the cat chased a mouse into a hole in the wall of my office. This was back in her more energetic days. Now she lies in the basement so she can watch them run around - cat TV. Anyway the mouse in the wall died, in summer, and it stank for 2 weeks.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:59 AM   #1631
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Saccharin as rat poison? On the Web, they talk about studies showing rats getting cancer from it, or are you talking about something else?..........
Yes, it gives them bladder cancer. You have to get them to eat large doses over a period of years.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:20 AM   #1632
Give me a forum ...

Pulling people's leg again, as I suspected.

Lifetime of a brown rat: 2 years. That of a black rat: 1 year.

Think I'll just let them get drunk on Cognac, then dump them in the garbage can when they are out cold. They may drink only XO, but I can spare a shot or two. It's worth it.
Old 08-02-2016, 12:41 PM   #1633

After normal morning routine (walk dog, eat breakfast, read newspaper) I cleaned our fish pond and did some gardening. Then caught up on e-mails, etc. before going to the grocery store. Now catching up here in FIREland and paying some bills. After lunch, drive DH to physical therapy (and work on a volunteer project while I'm there). Early dinner because dog and I are in an advanced dog manners training class Tuesday evenings for the next several weeks. On the way home will stop in to see some (dog-friendly) friends who are organizing a trip to Machu Picchu next summer that I'll be enjoying with a friend - get a chance to meet some of the other travelers. Busy day!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:00 AM   #1634

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Went out to dinner with DW at the Bavarian Inn in Shepherdstown, WV. 28 years of wedded bliss!
CONGRATS!

DW & I love the Bavarian Inn...and Sheperdstown. We celebrated our 25th anniversary there several years back.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:12 AM   #1635

Quote:

Think I'll just let them get drunk on Cognac, then dump them in the garbage can when they are out cold. They may drink only XO, but I can spare a shot or two. It's worth it.
Good thing you're not a bartender.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #1636
Full time employment: Posting here.

Out to dinner with DW last night to celebrate anniversary number 37. I pointed out that this was a permutable prime, she wasn't impressed. Back to the park today for some photography - stayed on shore and got some good insect photos. I'll share DW's favorite in honor of our anniversary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tiger Swallowtail.jpg (512.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 08-06-2016, 09:37 AM   #1637
Recycles dryer sheets

Drove around to yard sales that were posted on local Facebook sites. I'm looking for winter lined water-resistant running pants and a Scrabble board. No luck, but it was still fun.

Made individual caprese salad appetizers for a lunch later today. Nothing says summer like tomato/basil/mozzarella or sweet corn.

Wish it could have been with my own tomatoes. My plants, which I grew from seeds, have not even blossomed yet. Very tall and healthy but I think they don't get enough sun.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:56 PM   #1638

Helped a friend remove the 4 KW generator set from his RV. The thing just stopped when it was running. The generator rear bearing failed (balls disintegrated) and the shaft locked up. What a mess, but the Onan 4000 generator is 25 years old. A new replacement is around $4250 installed.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:57 AM   #1639
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
?..balls disintegrated and the shaft locked up...

Man, I hate when that happens...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #1640
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Gotta expect that sort of thing with old equipment.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote