Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-13-2016, 07:12 AM   #1681
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I taught myself a lesson with a chef's knife. I think it's going to hurt.

Paying too much attention to the thumb and the nail on the index finger got sliced into but not off. Blach! I haven't passed out, yet. I can't believe how freaking stupid that was.
Ouch.

I have recently acquired this: https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cu...rds=chef+glove

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2016, 08:13 AM   #1682
Recycles dryer sheets

Training hike in the AM for an upcoming one week backpack across Isle Royale Nat'l Park. I carried 30 lbs to DH's 40, which put us both at 25% of body weight, our respective not-to-exceed weight goals.

Headed over to our HOA pool afterward for a well deserved dip. Back home made terrific tuna salad wraps for lunch, then we showered and took recovery naps. Spent a few hours puttering around the house, then out to a wine bar for drinks and dinner.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:23 AM   #1683

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
Last night put a few inches of water in the bucket and a cardboard tube with the bait, peanut butter AND bacon grease, at the end of the ramp. Tube is positioned so half of it is on the ramp and half is hanging over the bucket. In the YouTube videos the mouse flips the tube over, falls in the bucket and can't jump out b/c of the water. This morning it was untouched. Maybe the tube is too small. Ugh, maybe that means they are not mice.

This is starting to resemble the MouseTrap game of the 60's.

You are on the right track. Here are the suggested modifications: You need a soft drink can that easily spins on a stiff wire. Wire anchored in holes drilled in bucket. The can is kept in the middle by having half a plastic straw slid onto the wire on each side. The mice will stretch to acquire the peanut butter on the soda can. This was set outside for the purposes of taking a picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6984.jpg (1,016.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 08-13-2016, 08:33 AM   #1684
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Did you guys ever think about just getting or borrowing a cat? No rodents inside but if we leave the cat door open at night we may find a "present" in the doorway in the morning.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #1685
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Ouch.

I have recently acquired this: https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cu...rds=chef+glove
Thanks. I actually have a couple of those, should have used it. I do use them religiously with the mandolin, thought I knew how to use a chef's knife properly too. Probably should start using them with the knife.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #1686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Went to Chicago Bears training camp. Then to a brewpub to replenish lost fluids.
Good for you. Hydration is the key to good health.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:46 AM   #1687
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Snagged (with a long-handled shovel) a small 18" rattler coiled at the foot of the steps off our deck. First one I've seen at the house in the past couple of years.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #1688
Recycles dryer sheets

Spent a few hours relaxing on the patio drinking coffee with DH and the pup this morning. Then I picked up some groceries, fresh flowers, and cleaning supplies to make a welcome basket for my best friend who is moving into a new house today. DD and I are going to make zucchini chocolate chip muffins with a zucchini we just picked from the garden.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:04 PM   #1689

DW and I did a quick 11 mile ride on the tandem this morning before the heat set in. Then we fixed a big breakfast of pecan waffles and bacon. Rest of the day devoted to laundry, music practice, the Cubs game and who knows what else.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:57 PM   #1690
Give me a forum ...

Took a load to the landfill, then swung by Home Depot for some plumbing repair items. Pressure washed the rest of the deck, as it's too darned hot to do anything outside that doesn't include getting wet. Got the wooden hammer out and picked about a lb. of crab meat out of leftover claws from our crab feast a couple of days ago. Got to run out again and get the ingredients for cream of crab soup. That plus burgers and brats on the grill (when the sun goes down a bit) should make for a pleasant dinner.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #1691
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
... There were droppings in the bucket in the morning but they could jump out.

Last night put a few inches of water in the bucket and a cardboard tube with the bait, peanut butter AND bacon grease, at the end of the ramp...

This morning it was untouched...
Another possibility is the rat is smart, and learns not to fall for the same trick again.

That is the case with my super rat. I forgot to tell about the incidence that happened before I discovered there were rats in my garage attic.

This year, I was successful in raising a few tomato plants. As I anxiously awaited picking my first homegrown tomato, it got chewed up just as it ripened. I had put a nylon mesh over the plants for bird protection, so suspected it was a rat. There had been roof rats seen recently in the neighborhood, but at that point I did not know some lived above my garage.

Anyway, I set out the electric rat zapper. Next morning, its light blinked, but no rat! Apparently, the rat survived the shock and escaped.

Some days later, when I was out of town, my son stopped by my home for some tools, and said he saw a rat in the garage. I asked him to set up the trap in the garage with some peanut butter. Nope, no rats, and the bait stayed untouched.

When I got back in town, I switched to blue cheese. Besides the bait inside the trap, I also had a bit of blue cheese and a blueberry outside of the trap. The food outside the trap got eaten, but the rat would not enter the trap. I believe it was the same rat that survived the shock at the tomato plant.

Later, the rats I got up in the attic were some younger rats that were not as smart. I believe the big and smart one escaped. It was the same one that got snared by the snap trap I set at the garage wall hole, and managed to extricate itself. It must be a monster rat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Did you guys ever think about just getting or borrowing a cat? No rodents inside but if we leave the cat door open at night we may find a "present" in the doorway in the morning.
I see some neighborhood cats outside during the day, but not recently. It's too hot even at night for cats to venture out. Or perhaps people lock them inside at night.

I am not too far from the desert foothills, and have seen coyotes running around. They pounce on cats!

I do not have a cat now, but mine were indoor cats, and they would not know to catch anything. They were almost vegetarian. One loved to eat corn. She was very sweet.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:46 PM   #1692

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Drove with DW about four hours drive time to Chesapeake, VA for a layover pending an early AM departure for Corolla, NC where family has rented a beach house. We stopped for about an hour on the way for lunch and had a nice steak dinner after check-in at the hotel.
Enjoy!

DW & I love the OBX.

We always went to Ocracoke; a bit further south but, wonderfully remote & quiet + the best beaches on the east coast (usually with almost nobody on them).
Old 08-13-2016, 11:33 PM   #1693
Dryer sheet aficionado

RobbieB nice bike but can't tell the make. Looks a little like my Interstate. What is that you are crusin on?
Old 08-14-2016, 01:29 AM   #1694

We went to a library book sale today and I bought some new to me DVDs and hobby books. Later we had strawberry margaritas on the patio in the evening and watched all the solar lights come on. We enjoy being able to have a festive look in the backyard every night without using any utility company type of electricity. Roof top solar panels wouldn't really work for our location but we do use solar lights outside and have some other solar products like camping lights, battery chargers and flashlights.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:18 AM   #1695
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Did you guys ever think about just getting or borrowing a cat?
LOL I HAVE a cat! You know what she does? She goes down to the basement and lies in the mouse traffic path so she can watch them. The last one she caught was about a year ago, some hapless baby that would have been taken care of by natural selection anyway. It must have walked into her mouth while she was lying there. Maybe I should bait her with bacon grease.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:22 AM   #1696
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
You are on the right track. Here are the suggested modifications: You need a soft drink can that easily spins on a stiff wire. Wire anchored in holes drilled in bucket.
Thanks for the picture. I guess I'll have to go there next b/c they ignored the tube again last night. Also can does not depend so much on the size of vermin.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:46 PM   #1697

Ran 17 miles on my 61st birthday. Now recovering and will grill a steak if I can get off the couch. I kinda like the old person status complete with support hose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg socks.jpg (618.7 KB, 24 views)
Old 08-14-2016, 05:21 PM   #1698

If you're interested in the view from the space station check out this site.

ISS HD Earth Viewing Experiment on USTREAM: QUICK NOTES ABOUT HDEV VIDEO Black Image = International Space Station (ISS) is on the night side of the Earth....
Old 08-14-2016, 06:24 PM   #1699

Had some new(to me) beers. A Bacon porter, green chile, two stouts salt and carmel, and peanut butter stout! The green chile and peanut butter stout were by far the best. Sadly the bacon, well I can say I tried bacon beer.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:37 PM   #1700
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Sadly the bacon, well I can say I tried bacon beer.
Reminds me of a beer festival I attended once long ago where there was a booth with garlic beer.

I asked them how they made garlic beer and the guy looked at me like I had three heads and said "You take a glass of beer and drop a garlic clove in it"

Oh well.