What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
A book I'm reading today talks about one of the characters having a name for their home...Fernwood. I'm familiar with ranches/farms having a name, but couldn't understand naming a house.

Then, I remembered a couple of people I know have names for their homes. So, I told my dh we should name ours. The suggestions he had were 'Tater Haven' or 'Booger Hollow'. I might come up with something better than those....:rolleyes:

Just now saw your post ERD50....

It's no fun waiting on test results....I'm hoping everything will be ok. :)

A book I'm reading today talks about one of the characters having a name for their home...Fernwood. I'm familiar with ranches/farms having a name, but couldn't understand naming a house.

Then, I remembered a couple of people I know have names for their homes. So, I told my dh we should name ours. The suggestions he had were 'Tater Haven' or 'Booger Hollow'. I might come up with something better than those....:rolleyes:

I'm calling our house Veronica.

I just put some Two Cat Apple Cider in the carboy to ferment. It's called "Two Cat" because, after having gathered all the ingredients and equipment on the kitchen counter, Step #1 is "Shoo the two cats off the counter".

A friend calls his porch Hillbilly Haven. It is appropriately named. It is enclosed and heated with a very old wood stove. It serves as his living room and the place he entertains guests. Lots of mountain people are very creative. :)

When the young wife and I were out driving around this past weekend, we saw a house with a very nice sign out front reading "Insulting Manor".

I was recently reminded by my older sister the house we grew up in was "Twin Brooks".

The huge red sign on the side of the house was covered up when I was 7 but she's a bit older and had more time to live with it.

Well now...I had no idea naming a house could be so popular. :)

Southfork Ranch (from the Dallas tv show) is just a few miles from our abode. I don't think our house could command such a name as Southfork....but I still think I can do better than Tater Haven...

Where I grew up (in Ireland) it was extremely common, especially for detached and historic houses, to have a name. Here's an example.

Richmond Park House, Richmond Hill, Monkstown, Co. Dublin
https://www.daft.ie/11326479
Oh my Meadbh...that house is stunning! :smitten:

Perhaps everyone should name their dwelling...give it a little personality. 'Course then again, there's no place like Home. :)

When DD lived in the off-campus student slums as an undergrad, she and her roomies named the house "Thug Mansion".

Red House

My single niece shared a house with 4 other nurses. They called the house "The Brothel".

Finished my new garage door opener / door seal install and some woodworking. Now off to the holistic doc to tell her that I've slipped off my paleo diet.

Saw The Book of Mormon in London last evening.
I have to say I haven't laughed so hard and so long in years. What a fabulous show and the entire cast was magnificent.

DW and I have been trading lines from it all day.

DW and I went for a short walk. First she's been able to go outside for a week. A first ever migraine sent her to the ER at 4AM last Saturday. Eventually major opioid doses made her crash enough to go home.

A trial of Imitrex worked but only lasted one day. To the insurance company that's good for 20 days! Went to pay full price and remembered a discussion here about Goodrx, almost the same price as with insurance!:)

Saw a bunch of flooding from my hometown in PA. Looks bad. Last time I was there was for DF'S surprise 94th birthday in 2011 during a flood. The real surprise was being stranded there for three days.

Hopefully this is one is not as bad for all the folks living there.

When the young wife and I were out driving around this past weekend, we saw a house with a very nice sign out front reading "Insulting Manor".

I like it. Could see a physician naming theirs "Bedside Manor".

I like it. Could see a physician naming theirs "Bedside Manor".

+1

There is a ranch down the road from us owned by a dentist. The name? "Tooth Acres"

We drove by a farm east of Dallas with the name McDonald on the mailbox. The sign above the entrance read "E-I-E-I-0".

Last edited:
DW and I went for a short walk. First she's been able to go outside for a week. A first ever migraine sent her to the ER at 4AM last Saturday. Eventually major opioid doses made her crash enough to go home.

A trial of Imitrex worked but only lasted one day. To the insurance company that's good for 20 days! Went to pay full price and remembered a discussion here about Goodrx, almost the same price as with insurance!:)

Hope your wife is feeling better. Migraines are the worst!! I get them and if you've never had one you can't even imagine the pain.

Hope your wife is feeling better. Migraines are the worst!! I get them and if you've never had one you can't even imagine the pain.

Thank you. She's feeling better, not perfect but much improved.

I'm fortunate to never had a migraine. I've had cluster headaches and wouldn't wish either on a person I didn't like.

Tourist train

I will be working the Pumpkinliner today. My DS,DIL & GD will be riding with me. I will have them ride in the caboose one way on the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom