Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-19-2016, 06:22 PM   #1721
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Flew a patient with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer home after his treatment. He was in good spirits and enjoys flying with us.
You are doing a really great thing, building good karma

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2016, 07:16 PM   #1722
Dryer sheet aficionado

Gave my notice at work! Toxic boss can torture me for 5 more days & then "I'll fly away oh glory!"

Taking what I hope will be a nice little bridge-to-retirement job: airline call center. Big pay cut, but comparable benefits + flight benefits.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:55 AM   #1723
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Returned to Hong Kong from New York after a 3.5 week holiday. To take advantage of some cheap air tickets, we flew via London rather than directly - a 26 hour door-to-door commute.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:47 AM   #1724

Congratulations, Htown Rose!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 04:29 PM   #1725
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thank you!
Old 08-20-2016, 06:09 PM   #1726
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Gave blood this morning.
Bought some lean ground beef on the way back.
Bought some gas as truck was near empty.
That's only the second time I've pumped gas in 2.5 years.
Chicken and vegetables in the Crockpot for supper.
Need to bury compost.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-20-2016, 06:45 PM   #1727

Worked on the RV generator re-assembly in preparation for installation back in the RV tomorrow afternoon.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:30 PM   #1728
Administrator

Scraped paint for 4.5 hours. Drove the roadster to lunch and for ice cream with the young wife. Took a nap when we got home.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #1729

Last few days. Did some downsizing - trucked my generator to Western Illinois where my SIL arranged a sale to a nearby farmer. Bought some mapping software, and have been making maps/planning Ireland trip for the last 2 days. Getting ready to fertilize the lawn.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:48 PM   #1730

Bought 2 tickets to Pat Travers next month and walked Lucy the dog.

Gonna heat up some leftover pizza for lunch and then go outside and drill some holes in some PVC pipe for my latest invention.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:28 PM   #1731
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Today I bought new living room furniture after months of shopping . The good thing about the new furniture is the fabric is sunbrella so hopefully it will not fade as much . The other good thing is they will remove your old furniture and donate it to Habitat for Humanity .My old set is in good condition just faded .Hey , I can not let Robbie B being the only one stimulating the economy .
Old 08-21-2016, 08:38 PM   #1732
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Today I bought new living room furniture after months of shopping . The good thing about the new furniture is the fabric is sunbrella so hopefully it will not fade as much . The other good thing is they will remove your old furniture and donate it to Habitat for Humanity .My old set is in good condition just faded .Hey , I can not let Robbie B being the only one stimulating the economy .
I recently got furniture for my 3 season room that has Sunbrella fabric, I like the fade and stain resistance.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:39 PM   #1733
Give me a forum ...

I did this kind of thing at the county fair:

Highly recommended. It was only kids that were doing it, but since I was under 200 pounds, they let me on.

Great, safe way to play on a trampoline. I got two back flips in a two back flip failures. I vowed to keep going until I was kicked off, but I ran out of steam. Quite a workout.

I did some real trampoline in college, and had a bad landing on my head once (explains a lot).

They had free ice cream at the fair, but we skipped it and made our own (sugar free) when we got home:

2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
.75 cup Erythritol
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
2 squares of unsweetened chocolate, chopped
Old 08-21-2016, 08:49 PM   #1734

What did you do today? 2016 version

Good job, Moemg! Hope you love your new furniture.

First Sunday back in the choir loft after summer break - I enjoy the break every year but it's sweet to come back and sing together. Watched the USA basketball team win gold while I prepped about 10 pounds of roasted Hatch chiles for the freezer to use until next August- so much better than canned. Talked with DS who starts on his PhD in aerospace engineering tomorrow - very cool. Watching the Rio closing ceremonies now, then will skim/watch the NASCAR race that was rained out yesterday. Gotta love the DVR.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:38 PM   #1735
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Sounds great, congratulations! Not only did you stimulate the economy, but you looked until you found exactly what you wanted (with the fade resistance you wanted) so you got value for your money.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:44 PM   #1736
Give me a forum ...

What did you do today? 2016 version

Drove about halfway from Chicago to DFW, with the remainder tomorrow. Made a big loop (Chicago pun) through Oklahoma to KC (day one, topped of by bbq at Arthur Bryant's), then on to Des Moines after a quick jaunt to Winterset to visit the Duke's homeplace and the bridges of Madison Co., then on to Chicago for a visit with DB, complete with a $91 + tip dinner, a concert featuring Al Di Meola, and a visit to a blues club. Took the shorter route home, south through Illinios (The Long State), Missouri, then Arkansas (Native American for "road construction")...

Ready to be home...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:06 AM   #1737
Recycles dryer sheets

Yesterday - went to a Meetup for people who like to play Scrabble. Found out that there was a bus that would get me there so I didn't have to worry about parking in a congested area. It was great weather for walking the few blocks after the bus.

Have not played since I was a kid but I got patient partners. Still got whipped, but it was a lot of fun anyway. The people who gathered to play were quirky and interesting. I am looking forward to the next meeting.

We met at an Au Bon Pain, which was almost empty, and the weather was nice so we sat outside at their tables with our ice coffees. Then they closed off the street for an afternoon of music. Lovely summer Sunday afternoon.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:15 AM   #1738
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Walked the dog, went to the store and got some lobster tails for supper, unpacked my southern boiled peanuts that arrived and now I'm going out to work on my little "plumbing project"

Then I'll warm up some of those peanuts and munch with cocktails and consider how I'm gonna cook those lobster tails.

Question from a Northerner. When you eat boiled peanuts....do you eat them in the shell or do you shell them first and just eat the inside?

DH tried boiled peanuts two years ago when we were in Alabama. The look on his face suggested to me that I do not join in the festivities. But he didn't shell them. I thought that was odd. He said he didn't think he was supposed to....?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-22-2016, 08:51 AM   #1739
Dryer sheet wannabe

My life on the stage

Since retiring, have started acting in local community theater. I'm currently playing Ado Annie's father in a production of "Oklahoma!" at our local dinner theater!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oklahoma shotgun.jpg (115.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 08-22-2016, 10:10 AM   #1740

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
Question from a Northerner. When you eat boiled peanuts....do you eat them in the shell or do you shell them first and just eat the inside?
You ain't from 'round these parts are ya son?!

PS: you don't eat the shell.