Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2016, 04:21 PM   #1741
Moderator Emeritus

Went to the library, went to the post office, went to a store to buy some picture frames, chatted with people at each stop. Just looked down to see that I have been wearing my henley-style shirt inside out, buttons inside, seams and tags on the outside.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2016, 04:42 PM   #1742
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

UPS showed up a few minutes ago with an unexpected delivery - two more of something I ordered earlier this month and received last week. The UPS guy waited while I called the company to find out why they sent me the same thing three times. The CS rep didn't have a clue.

I refused delivery and asked the rep to be sure I wasn't charged, then checked my CC to be sure - I hadn't.

Adding to the mystery is the fact I had to contact them on both this and a previous order after they emailed me the order had "shipped" and three days later UPS still had no record of the shipping number in their system.

The company touts it is one of the fastest-growing online retailers in the US. I suspect they have become victims of their own success and have outgrown their ability to fulfill orders in a timely manner.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 04:42 PM   #1743

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Just looked down to see that I have been wearing my henley-style shirt inside out, buttons inside, seams and tags on the outside.
I thought that was the latest fashion statement...

Old 08-22-2016, 04:45 PM   #1744
Recycles dryer sheets

Prepped inside of house in AM for painter, meaning lots of furniture movement, then worked in the yard for a couple of hours. Met the electrician next - we're changing out all of our dimmer switches so they are compatible with LED's - and showed him what/where adjustments were needed. Hubby came home from running errands, and in that house was a bit torn up, invited me to lunch on his dime (meaning his "Mad" money vs our allotted Restaurant money) . I happily accepted and we spent a very pleasant hour talking and enjoying our bagel sandwiches alfresco.

Electric work done upon our return, now swapping out old bulbs for LED's. Hoping to see some $ savings come our next bill. Planned to sit with a book out of the painter's way the remainder of the afternoon.

Dinner is leftover turkey pot pie, in that I won't have my house back until tomorrow. We'll finish out the day enjoying a glass of wine across the street at our HOA pool.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:23 PM   #1745
Administrator

Quote:
Went to the library, went to the post office, went to a store to buy some picture frames, chatted with people at each stop. Just looked down to see that I have been wearing my henley-style shirt inside out, buttons inside, seams and tags on the outside.
Had I seen you, I would be marveling to myself "Wow!! Now THAT's the kind of self confidence I wish I had. She's so cool!"
Old 08-22-2016, 05:29 PM   #1746
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Much better then those dreams that everyone has about going out public with clothes missing completely..they say almost everybody has this very common dream.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:04 PM   #1747
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am still here in the low-desert home, waiting to see if the attic is clear of roof rats before I take off to the high-country home to finish replacing the deck boards.

While I wait, been spending a lot of time playing with electronics, building some RF circuits, and checking them out carefully with my HP and Tektronix equipment. Learned a lot of things that I did not know or took for granted before.

The food left in the attic, outside of the trap to be sure, has been untouched for 3 or 4 days. I think it is safe to leave the home, and head up to cool weather tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:16 PM   #1748
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Much better then those dreams that everyone has about going out public with clothes missing completely..they say almost everybody has this very common dream.
Yes I think I lived it today--DH and I got in the car this evening and I realized my shirt was still inside out (why yes I am a procrastinator at heart), so I just nonchalantly pulled it off, turned it rightside out, and pulled it back on. The street was empty but not sure the nosy neighbor didn't get an eyeful, but DH loved it.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:59 AM   #1749

I'm sitting at the kitchen table watching a fawn playing in the aspen grove directly behind my place. Its a great way to start a morning!
Old 08-23-2016, 10:47 AM   #1750
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
You ain't from 'round these parts are ya son?!

PS: you don't eat the shell.
Lmao.... I KNEW it! That also explains why the street vendor looked at him like that.

Can't wait to share the news with him
Old 08-23-2016, 11:48 AM   #1751
Give me a forum ...

OMG! Some people eat the peanut shell!

Well, that could start a new trend. I'd bet peanut shell is rich in fiber and has very few calories. It could keep one full for hours. All we need now is for nutritionists to research and tell us it is also full of antioxidants, vitamins, and other good stuff.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:59 AM   #1752

Not so fast: Beware of the bezoar

Quote:
The National Peanut Board website states, “many people report they enjoy peanuts, including the shell, and food scientists indicate that it’s okay.” The Peanut Board breaks down peanut shell content as follows: 60 percent crude fiber, 25 percent cellulose, 8 percent water, 6 percent crude protein, 2 percent ash and 1 percent fat. The composition differs based on peanut varieties and manufacturing environments. Other than dietary fiber, peanut shells offer virtually no nutritional value.

Intestinal Blockage

Eating a large quantity of peanut shells may provide fiber, but can interfere with normal digestive function. As described by Dr. Dean Edell on the Health Central website, peanut shells can accumulate in the gastrointestinal tract. Often, the buildup of foreign matter causes stomach distress and creates a mass that cannot pass through the intestines. Referred to as a bezoar, the term typically relates to ingesting hair or fibers. However, it also applies to a collection of any consumed material that lodges in the abdomen. In extreme cases, surgery may be required to remove a bezoar.
Can I Eat Peanut Shells? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Old 08-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #1753
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
All we need now is for nutritionists to research and tell us it is also full of antioxidants, vitamins, and other good stuff.
Please, no!
Then they would have to attach little labels to every peanut shell:
Quote:
This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer ...
Old 08-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #1754

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Not so fast: Beware of the bezoar

Can I Eat Peanut Shells? | LIVESTRONG.COM
I've eaten all the cellulose I can have, no thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-23-2016, 05:15 PM   #1755
Give me a forum ...

New word for today: bezoar.

Thought it is the same as the hairballs that my cat coughed up occasionally, but the dictionary says it's "a small stony concretion that may form in the stomachs of certain animals, especially ruminants, and which was once used as an antidote for various ailments".

What? People used to swallow stones as medicine? No wonder the lifespan was so short then, what with bloodletting and all the quacks.

Anyway, I am typing this while snacking on some peanuts, roasted in the shell. And no, I never eat the shell.

PS. I got these peanuts at Winco for $1.49/lb. This store has bulk food items for less than packaged goods, and roasted peanut in the shell is one of them. No expensive shipping necessary. They do not have raw peanuts for me to try to boil with some spices. A recipe on the Web calls for using crab boil, which makes it interesting as I like spicy food.

PPS. I recall stopping at a roadstand on a Florida highway to buy some boiled peanuts. Nothing special there, and it was simply too salted. Did not know that the Southerners kick it up a notch with jalapeno and crab boil. Now, this is something I have not had.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:56 PM   #1756
Give me a forum ...

Today is a sad day for me.

We were set to go leave the home tomorrow. I checked the attic one last time, expecting not to find anything new, but what did I know? A cracker left up there was gone. Rats!

Whatever remains does not like cheese, or meat, but grabbed that cracker. Darn! And I thought I got rid of them all. This is now more alarming, because I have sealed up the holes in the garage ceiling, and have found no new ones. I also inspected the roof, and perhaps I did not know what to look for, but found nothing. The rats cannot stay up there without being able to get out for food and water. They might have found a way to travel through the entire attic space between the ceiling of the garage and the home, going all the way to the attic of the 2nd floor.

I immediately went out to get a $100 WiFi surveillance camera, and installed it in the attic, watching the new bait I put out. When it senses motion, will send the video by FTP to my network drive. I want to know and see what I am dealing with here.

Watch this space for a video of my intruder.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:02 PM   #1757

Critters in the attic? Sorry to hear that. You should see droppings, though, and not just missing food.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #1758
Administrator

Quote:
Today is a sad day for me.

We were set to go leave the home tomorrow. I checked the attic one last time, expecting not to find anything new, but what did I know? A cracker left up there was gone. Rats!

Whatever remains does not like cheese, or meat, but grabbed that cracker. Darn! And I thought I got rid of them all. This is now more alarming, because I have sealed up the holes in the garage ceiling, and have found no new ones. I also inspected the roof, and perhaps I did not know what to look for, but found nothing. The rats cannot stay up there without being able to get out for food and water. They might have found a way to travel through the entire attic space between the ceiling of the garage and the home, going all the way to the attic of the 2nd floor.

I immediately went out to get a $100 WiFi surveillance camera, and installed it in the attic, watching the new bait I put out. When it senses motion, will send the video by FTP to my network drive. I want to know and see what I am dealing with here.

Watch this space for a video of my intruder.
Wow! Let's hope it's something like this, instead of rats:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (119.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 08-23-2016, 06:11 PM   #1759
Give me a forum ...

I thought about other animals and insects, but my electric rat zapper caught 6 up to now. One was a baby rat, and one would expect it to have siblings.

Yes, there were rat droppings, but no fresh ones around the bait area since the last one that was zapped. They might just grab the cracker and ran off to somewhere else to eat. My attic space is a very convoluted space, and by following the AC duct they can go to the 2nd story attic.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:13 PM   #1760
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I recall stopping at a roadstand on a Florida highway to buy some boiled peanuts. Nothing special there, and it was simply too salted.
Boiled peanuts is strictly a Southern thing. When I lived in Alabama you could buy a sack of them at any gas station. Never really saw the attraction myself, but I'm a damnyankee so my opinion doesn't count.

However, if you want to see what true peanut perfection is, I would invite you to try these:

LEHMAN'S GOURMET SOUTHERN-STYLE PEANUTS

Quite seriously, these are the most awesomely good peanuts I've ever had.