Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 08:00 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Arrived at Disney Caribbean Beach Resort today. DD and DGD flew down from snow central, and we drove up. DD is working at a gymnastic meet, and DGD, DW, and I are going to have some fun. I've never stayed at a Disney resort before, and although we're going to Magic Kingdom tomorrow, we're going to do Harry Potter and SeaWorld the other days. Still, it's a decent hotel and there are fun things to do with DGD right here. I'm hoping the snowstorm either forces them to stay a little extra time, or is pretty much melted before they go home.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2016, 02:21 AM   #162
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Arrived at Disney Caribbean Beach Resort today. DD and DGD flew down from snow central, and we drove up. DD is working at a gymnastic meet, and DGD, DW, and I are going to have some fun. I've never stayed at a Disney resort before, and although we're going to Magic Kingdom tomorrow, we're going to do Harry Potter and SeaWorld the other days. Still, it's a decent hotel and there are fun things to do with DGD right here. I'm hoping the snowstorm either forces them to stay a little extra time, or is pretty much melted before they go home.
We stayed there during our honeymoon. They gave us a photo of Mickey and Minnie in wedding clothes.

Have a nice time!
Old 01-22-2016, 01:47 PM   #163

Got up a bit earlier to finish making the beef stew (I'd chopped most of the veggies earlier). Put all that in the 8-quart crock pot then we left for the gym. About 15 minutes before we finished there the snow started. By the time we got home 15 minutes later we'd passed two wrecks (did no one remember from last year that snow is slippery?) and I had to put the truck in 4WD.

The house smells great from the stew cooking and we don't plan on going out for at least several days. Forecast now is a total of about two feet or so in the next two days. For some of you that's light flurries but around here it is rare.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:51 PM   #164
Moderator Emeritus

Walt - I think that 2 feet in 2 days is rare for almost everyone here. Take care and hunker down with that stew.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-22-2016, 01:56 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Walt - I think that 2 feet in 2 days is rare for almost everyone here. Take care and hunker down with that stew.
I have cousins in Buffalo, NY and was thinking of places like that. They just sneer at snow stories from here.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:05 PM   #166
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Got up a bit earlier to finish making the beef stew (I'd chopped most of the veggies earlier). Put all that in the 8-quart crock pot then we left for the gym. About 15 minutes before we finished there the snow started. By the time we got home 15 minutes later we'd passed two wrecks (did no one remember from last year that snow is slippery?) and I had to put the truck in 4WD.

The house smells great from the stew cooking and we don't plan on going out for at least several days. Forecast now is a total of about two feet or so in the next two days. For some of you that's light flurries but around here it is rare.
We're going to need photos of the stew and the snow--probably not mixed together--as the snow progresses. Will be thinking of you!
Old 01-22-2016, 02:41 PM   #167

To all of you folks in the storm's path - be safe and warm.

My day: Went to my younger son's school for "Coffee with the Principal". Traffic was HORRIBLE on the way back (which is why I have them take the bus to school) so I stopped at Target and picked up supplies for the new semester and for my Italian class that starts on Monday. Came home and made sure DH was ok and had fresh OJ (he's got a horrible cold.) then worked out.

Getting ready to get the kids from school then send older kid to spanish tutoring, make dinner while he's there, get him then take younger son to basketball game tonight. Lots of moving parts tonight.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:56 PM   #168
Full time employment: Posting here.

Like Walt, watching the snow fall. About 4" so far on the way to 24" according to the forecast. We bought Chinese food this morning to get through the storm for a couple of days.

Signed up for two classes related to my new CNC machine that is on the way. First is in March in Georgia that is 2 days related to the hardware and operation of the router. I'll drive down, about 10 hours from here. Second class is in May for 3 days covering the design software (Aspire). That one is in Columbia, SC, about 8 hours away. Have a friend that will attend this class with me. Don't like the travel idea but want to get the most out of the new router.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:54 PM   #169
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Opened a checking and savings account at a new bank within easy walking distance of my new home. I've been at the same bank for 28 years, but I hate the location, and they give me no incentive to stay there. New bank gave me $100 to switch my accounts to them!! Better than a toaster!!
Old 01-22-2016, 06:02 PM   #170

Had my NM concealed carry recertification training class today. Here you have to sit through a short class every 2 years to review the laws and also do a shooting qualification halfway through your 4 year license; and then a longer course and same shooting qualification for the 4 year license renewal. Then pay your fees to the state along with paperwork and you are good for another 4 years.

At least the renewal course is shorter than the original 2 day course for new licenses.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Old 01-22-2016, 09:13 PM   #171

Got my truck back from the shop today. It has new front wheel hubs that are manual. That means I will have to get out switch the hubs in and out of 4 wheel drive.

Its a good thing they got it done. The Kid's Camp plow is down and we needed something up and running.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #172

Made the first pass on the driveway with the snow thrower. This it the first snow we've had that will take more than one pass. Finished cooking the beef stew in the crock pot last night. Someone had asked for pictures so here they are, just before & after taking the lid off:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beef_stew-1.jpg (151.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Beef_stew-3.jpg (182.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Beef_stew-4.jpg (109.2 KB, 33 views)
Old 01-23-2016, 02:33 PM   #173
Administrator

Went to the dry-cleaners this morning only to find that it was closed due to the blizzard. Got a head start shoveling some of the accumulating snow drifts in my driveway and walks. It'll make it easier when the snow finally stops tomorrow morning. Made two loaves of french bread in between posting here.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:50 PM   #174
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Made the first pass on the driveway with the snow thrower. This it the first snow we've had that will take more than one pass. Finished cooking the beef stew in the crock pot last night. Someone had asked for pictures so here they are, just before & after taking the lid off:
Someone did ask for pictures and says the meal looks delicious.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:22 PM   #175

Took my older son to Saturday School (a program for kids who either need to make up absenses or need a chance to catch up on schoolwork.). I then went down to the beach to walk the dog. Got to my normal beach and the parking lot was PACKED. I didn't understand - it was 8am, overcast/foggy, high tide... all things that tend to reduce the beach crowds. Then I saw the tents/banners. Turns out there was an event to try and break the worlds record for the most surfers on a single wave. Record was 110 surfers in Australia. The boardwalk and limited (high tide) beach were packed... making it challenging to get my walk in. But folks were excited. I left before the first attempt because legally, I have to have the dog off the beach before 9am.

Who knows if they made it. Local tv station says no. Local online news says yes - with 113 surfers.
San Diego Misses World Record for Most Surfers on Single Wave - Times of San Diego

Another, later, story says Nope... close but no record. Only 97 surfers.
One Wave Challenge | SanDiegoUnionTribune.com

(Great pics at the 2nd link.)

Oops - looks like the 1st article was updated to reflect the "nope"
Old 01-23-2016, 10:07 PM   #176
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Walt - I think that 2 feet in 2 days is rare for almost everyone here. ....
True, but probably not unusual at all for Hermit.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 01-24-2016, 12:59 PM   #177

The snow stopped ~9:00 PM last night. We finished the driveway and sidewalk today but we have yet to see signs of any snow-removal equipment. I doubt the 4WD pickup would make it and the Honda Accord certainly isn't going anywhere for a while. Normally the contractors for the HOA do a good job so I suspect that the 4WD pickups that they normally use are overwhelmed by this and heavier equipment is both scarce and expensive now. The photo is the street beyond our driveway. It doesn't look that high from the camera angle but it is well over two feet.

So we aren't going anywhere soon. Oh, and I read that the prize for the deepest snow - 40" - went to Glengary, WV, not very far from here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snowed_in-1.jpg (118.8 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-24-2016, 01:23 PM   #178
Moderator Emeritus

Raked yard leaves and trimmed the front bushes. Filled at least a dozen large bags for the recycle pick up tomorrow. Then went to Lowes and picked up pre-emergent fertilizer to put down in a week or so.

Walt, that snow reminds me of a past life! Looks like a good day to stay in, eat some of that stew and watch the NFL playoff games.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:24 PM   #179

I went out this morning to learn to use our snowblower. DH is crippled with hip pain, scheduled for a cortisone shot tomorrow, so I forbade him to do any snow removal today. It probably wasn't the easiest time to learn to run the snowblower, with over two feet of snow in the driveway.

The first pass went okay, but when I turned around at the far end of the driveway the auger stopped working. We eventually figured out that we needed to tighten the auger belt, and did so. I went back out and did a few more swipes. Then I noticed the electric starter had vibrated loose from the moorings and was dangling. We couldn't find the bolts in the snow so we just secured the motor to the top of the blower with some rope.

I worked some more to clear the driveway, but soon the auger stopped again. Back to the garage, remove the belt cover to tighten the belt again....but this time the belt is totally stretched, frayed, and off the pulleys. I gave up on the blower and finished with a shovel.

At least I was able to clear a path for my car to get out. The pickup is still snowed in, but with no working snowblower I'm not going to bother. We don't have to go anywhere except out for the cortisone shot. I'll let Mother Nature do some melting and finish up a little at a time with my shovel.

A new auger belt is on its' way, thanks to Amazon Prime.

This is the first big storm since I retired. It sure is nice, not having to stress about getting to w*rk tomorrow! We've got chili in the slow cooker and football on tv...life is good!
Old 01-24-2016, 02:53 PM   #180

My sister and I met at my Dad's assisted living facility to give him the news that he's moving to a hospice facility. Not a fun day.

In Dec. his assisted living facility told us that he's at the stage where he needs a level of care that they cannot provide. My sister found a lovely new hospice facility, attached to a nursing home. It took a few weeks to get him through the process to get admitted and in the mean time my sister had a cruise planned so we waited until she got back to tell him about it.

Poor old dude, it broke my heart to tell him he has to move. He's 89 and has been in the AL facility for over 3 years and it's been wonderful. He's had hospice services provided by Medicare for the last year but he needs more than that. He's had 2 more falls in the past month even though he's in a wheelchair.

He started to get upset when we told him and then he said, "Do I have a choice?" No, you don't. "Do I have enough money?" Yes, you do for a while.

His move is next Saturday. Then my sister and I have to remove things from his AL apartment. Anything we don't want will get donated to his AL facility or a Goodwill type place. Last time we rented a truck and brought home some furniture. By now, I'm beyond taking on more stuff. I'll bring home the contents of his desk and keep what's needed (I'm his POA) and his computer so that I can pull the hard drive.

Luckily he's not attached to stuff, he just needs to take his clothing and a few personal items. We already downsized from his condo when he moved into AL.

In case you are interested here are some ballpark figures -

Assisted Living 1 Bedroom apartment - $5000/mo
Nursing home - $11,500/mo
Hospice Facility - $8000/mo for room and board. Medicare pays for the Hospice Services.

The hospice facility is 1 year old and just lovely. There are just 6 beds and he has his own large room, a spacious bathroom, and an outdoor patio (if he lives until spring). There is a central living room area with high ceilings and a fireplace. It's quiet and comfortable and does not look or feel like a hospital.

We all wish that this was over already, especially him. Just another step in the long slow decline.