Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 06:03 PM   #1781
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Flew to San Luis Obispo to meet another Angel Flight pilot bringing a young lady from the Bay Area for treatment at UCLA. Worked out great- we landed about 5 minutes apart.
We put the lady in our plane and flew her down to Santa Monica.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2016, 06:10 PM   #1782
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Enjoyed a nice picnic my girlfriend made for me.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:25 PM   #1783

Three hour hike with a friend/former colleague who also mostly retired.

Hard after four weeks not exercising (while we were travelling) and in Hong Kong's heat and humidity.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:51 AM   #1784

Well, I went out intending to go for a two-mile walk but it was too hot already at 8:00. Turned around and went back inside.

So for today, I am doing absolutely nothing. I like this retirement gig!
Old 08-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #1785
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
So for today, I am doing absolutely nothing. I like this retirement gig!

It's a tough j*b, but someone has to do it...

After returning from my recent roadtrip, I was greeted by a leaking toilet supply line. Funny, I turned off that supply, but the valve is bad, and so the water wasn't completely off, so mini-flood in the master suite.

After three days of drying, they're now removing all the fans and the dehumidifier. It's so quiet in here now.

Of course, next comes the repairs, not to mention the roofers are scheduled for tomorrow...

I love homeownership...

...not doing anything of true substance...
A long bike ride
Old 08-26-2016, 03:20 PM   #1786
Recycles dryer sheets

A long bike ride

DW & I finally got to bicycle the Sparta to Elroy trail in Wisconsin

Home

This was the nation's first "Rails to trails" project in 1967. It is 32 miles long and includes three tunnels - the longest is 3/4 mile and very, very dark.

Since we were camping in La Crosse we had to ride another 28 miles on another trail back so 60 total.

I have wanted to ride this trail for a long time. DW finally agreed to go along - but now says "Never again!"
Old 08-26-2016, 03:21 PM   #1787
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Went to the library, went to the post office, went to a store to buy some picture frames, chatted with people at each stop. Just looked down to see that I have been wearing my henley-style shirt inside out, buttons inside, seams and tags on the outside.
I thought of you yesterday evening....I noticed my tee shirt was on backwards.

I swear if you or I walk out the door looking like this....it will be time for the 'home'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg index.jpg (5.2 KB, 256 views)
Old 08-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #1788

A beautiful day today so I went for a drive around the county. Grain harvest is about done and row crop (sugar beets, beans, corn, sunflowers, and potatoes, ) has started. Fall is sneaking up on us, it was 45 degress this morning at 8am.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0007.jpg (774.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 08-26-2016, 03:56 PM   #1789
Moderator Emeritus

There IS such a thing as a free lunch, and we got one today. We had one of those lunch cards where after you eat there a dozen times, you get one meal free. As always, we split a roasted chicken wrap. That was fun. We left the same tip as always plus a little extra, but it was still a lot of fun to know that the lunch itself was free.

Then he did his laundry while we watched a "Tiny Houses" show from Netflix. We were aghast at how truly tiny those houses are. I would cry if I had to live in one of the smallest ones they showed, that was only 96 sf.

Made me realize (again) how extremely happy and fortunate I am to be living in my dream house, a house that is the perfect size for me and has everything I want or need. Right here. I hope I never have to move because I am getting really used to this.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-26-2016, 05:01 PM   #1790
Give me a forum ...

Bought tickets to 2 more concerts.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:32 PM   #1791

Woke up early today. DS's first day of professional work as a teacher. Saw him off to work, then proceeded to meticulously clean rooms that really needed it. Shopped and caught up on the news in the afternoon. Now enjoying 85 degree sunny weather, finishing off ribs in the BBQ. Swimming afterward is in the plan.I could get used to this (4 weeks retired).

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #1792

A bunny has taken up residence in our yard this year. I'm certain it is a male, as we have had no baby bunnies this year. Since I am only growing herbs this year. I have not chased him out. I think he recognizes me, since he lets me approach pretty close before reacting. It's a nice relationship. I even talk to him sometimes. He's checking me out as I barbecue.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-27-2016, 06:55 PM   #1793
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I thought of you yesterday evening....I noticed my tee shirt was on backwards.

I swear if you or I walk out the door looking like this....it will be time for the 'home'.
We can be roommates! You can have the top bunk
Old 08-28-2016, 09:29 AM   #1794
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We can be roommates! You can have the top bunk
Hey, if'n the top bunk is equipped with a parachute....I'm there!
Old 08-28-2016, 10:48 AM   #1795
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Last few days. Did some downsizing - trucked my generator to Western Illinois where my SIL arranged a sale to a nearby farmer. Bought some mapping software, and have been making maps/planning Ireland trip for the last 2 days. Getting ready to fertilize the lawn.

Just did fertize my lawn plus repaired some burned out areas from the summer drought. What mapping software did you get? Would like something that helps plan out some trips here in the US. We did a biking vacation ( 2 families) in Ireland in 2006 and had a great time. Can't believe it's 10 yrs already! Western Illinois Area? I went to WIU myself many many yrs ago.
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-28-2016, 10:53 AM   #1796
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
DW & I finally got to bicycle the Sparta to Elroy trail in Wisconsin

Home

This was the nation's first "Rails to trails" project in 1967. It is 32 miles long and includes three tunnels - the longest is 3/4 mile and very, very dark.

Since we were camping in La Crosse we had to ride another 28 miles on another trail back so 60 total.

I have wanted to ride this trail for a long time. DW finally agreed to go along - but now says "Never again!"

Brian,
Good to see another rails to trails rider out there. I've been a member for about 20 yrs and ride many of the trails here in Michigan. Just rode the one out of Caledonia the other day. Will ride the grand Rapids to Cadillac one here soon. 92 miles! Will stay overnight along route and make the return trip. Waiting till it finally cools down a bit around here before I go..
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #1797
Administrator

Got a tetanus shot earlier this afternoon. I was using a rotary wire paint stripper on a radiator when one of the wires broke off and implanted itself about an inch into my shin. I pulled it out and went to the walk-in clinic. Of all the places to have a thick piece of wire plunge that deep, the shin is about the least harmful.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:02 PM   #1798
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Got a tetanus shot earlier this afternoon. I was using a rotary wire paint stripper on a radiator when one of the wires broke off and implanted itself about an inch into my shin. I pulled it out and went to the walk-in clinic. Of all the places to have a thick piece of wire plunge that deep, the shin is about the least harmful.
I once had a piece of wire from one of those things embed itself in the plastic lens of my safety glasses. I didn't used to always wear them, because they can be a PITA. But if I hadn't worn them that time it would have gone straight into my eye. I always wear them now when I'm working with that kind of stuff. Glad it worked out so well for you.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:09 AM   #1799
Give me a forum ...

I still have not found out how the rat gets in/out of the attic. My tile roof has many vents, and it is difficult to inspect them all. I found a spot where I thought it was most likely, put the camera there on the roof as I wanted to be sure that was the entry point. Nope. Instead, I captured a neighborhood cat up there, camping out close to that vent.

I had to leave town for a few days, so left dozens of snap traps all around that vent. Came back, and none was set. This is frustrating.

Roof rats are smaller and sneakier than squirrels. A pest control company will charge from $1K to $4K to get rid of them. I don't know if they provide any warranty.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-30-2016, 06:21 AM   #1800
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I still have not found out how the rat gets in/out of the attic. My tile roof has many vents, and it is difficult to inspect them all. I found a spot where I thought it was most likely, put the camera there on the roof as I wanted to be sure that was the entry point. Nope. Instead, I captured a neighborhood cat up there, camping out close to that vent.

I had to leave town for a few days, so left dozens of snap traps all around that vent. Came back, and none was set. This is frustrating.

Roof rats are smaller and sneakier than squirrels. A pest control company will charge from $1K to $4K to get rid of them. I don't know if they provide any warranty.
Are you sure its not a permanent resident? How do you know it is coming and going?
Closed Thread