What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walked the dog on the beach. Did some housework... Especially vacuuming... we're having a Santa Ana and the dog has decided to complete shed the winter coat he was starting to work on. Thank goodness the dyson can keep up.

While I was vacuuming the phone rang and I didn't hear it - called back to the surgery scheduling department at Kaiser and got the date (next week) for older son's mouth/jaw surgery to remove a mass that is likely a dentigerous cyst. Glad that it is moving forward because he's on soft food till well after the surgery. (The mass has thinned the jaw bone and they don't want him to fracture his jaw chewing steak or some such.)

Thank goodness he likes yogurt and soups and mexican style beans... We have all that on hand so I can keep his 15 yo voracious appetite sated.

I took my new M1A to the range for the first time this morning. It was a beautiful day and the place was crowded. The rifle worked like a champ and I was very pleased. I came back home and went to lunch with the young wife.

Had a Veterans Day complementary lunch at Applebee's with three of my Vietnam-era friends. Met a table full of young ex-Marines who served in combat in the Middle East. Glad to see these fellows were home and not in a VA hospital somewhere.

Walked the dog this afternoon in the neighborhood and ran into a neighbor I did not know, who was coming back from a Veterans Day gathering at the community clubhouse. He was wearing his AF flight suit (Lt Colonel) and at 83 years old, it fit him well!

All in all, a good day!

I walked the dog on the beach. Normal morning - except the waves were HUGE again - I guess due to the upcoming super moon.

Then took older son out to get his surgical prescriptions filled (he has surgery on Tuesday and the doctor pre-prescribed the antibiotics and pain meds.) After that we went to an Asian market to get various odd-flavored ramens. He's on soft food until and for a few weeks after the surgery, and he likes ramen - which qualifies as a soft food. Also got a bunch of veggies to dice into the ramens.

Finally - got both boys, picked up my sister (as a teacher, she also had the day off) and we went to see Dr. Strange. Fun movie, great effects.

Took an early bus down to Fuengirola to visit their, very large, Mercadillo....lots of stalls, lots of vendors, LOTS of people, some good/interesting stuff, and lots of 'just stuff'.......bought nothing:

fckab6.jpg

A small portion of the flea market.

25z5smx.jpg

Memsahib on a mission.
vreqs1.jpg

Fuengirolan fisherman checking his 'net worth'.

Last edited:
Mrs Nemo could be the fashion model of my generation!

We call it 'Thrift Shop Chic'......she paid $4 Canadian (just under $3 US) for the top......the scarf, a large expenditure from Porto last Spring, was either 5 or 6 Euros.

Just waking up at home after our family trip to London. Seven family members from the US, we walked into the venue for my Aunt's 80th and said Surprise, Happy Birthday. She is 80 and for a second we thought we might need to pick her up off the floor.

She is pretty tough and after a recovery brandy we partied on, it will be the stuff of family legend.

We call it 'Thrift Shop Chic'......she paid $4 Canadian (just under $3 US) for the top......the scarf, a large expenditure from Porto last Spring, was either 5 or 6 Euros.
DW and her friend used to haunt Old-Navy for similar bargoons. Friend died so DW goes less often.

Had a Veterans Day complementary lunch at Applebee's with three of my Vietnam-era friends.

DH had to pick between Denny's, Red Robin, Applebees and BJs Brewhouse for his free veteran's meal and went with Red Robin, though it was a tough choice. He likes all those places.

I am chillin', waiting to go to Fleming's for dinner. The occasion is DW's BD.

I was just going to walk in, but my daughter who happened to drop by for a visit said I'd better get a reservation. Said every time she drove by, the place was packed. My, more people are dining out and spending a lot more money than I thought.

Last edited:
I auditioned for a 4th band this afternoon...all 4 members met each other for the first time this afternoon. Me on bass, 2 guitars, and a drummer. We had no set list...just played a bunch of classic rock and Beatles songs. Both the drummer and one of the guitar players could sing.

Chatting after, we found out the drummer also plays bass and guitar, and also that no one wants to create a "gigging band"...everyone was just looking to jam for a couple hours. So, next week I'm taking my guitar instead and the 4 of us will sit around and strum songs.

Went to an afternoon wedding of our neighbors. Both were widowed, and met through a singing group. We are thrilled that they found each other. They are both really nice folks.

DH had to pick between Denny's, Red Robin, Applebees and BJs Brewhouse for his free veteran's meal and went with Red Robin, though it was a tough choice. He likes all those places.

My SO picked the local seafood restaurant which was half price for veterans for everything food & drink .

Just got back from hiking Grand Canyon. First time in about 10 years. Instead of doing Rim to Rim we did Kiabab to Bright Angel on the South Rim. No one passed us on the way down. My 66 year old hiking buddy kept that trend up on the way out - no one passed him, even the youngsters - me not so much. At almost 62 I need to get in better shape. 15 miles in near record time wore me out.

I'm currently renovating my basement. Today I shortened a just completed interior wall 1.5" just so that the future ceiling tiles would line up better visually. This involved a ton of work as the wall had 2 doors, light switches, and plugs that were positioned symmetrically. I had to remove the drywall and doors, reframe and then put it all back together. It took me 4 hours, but I'm glad I did it.

I'm currently renovating my basement. Today I shortened a just completed interior wall 1.5" just so that the future ceiling tiles would line up better visually. This involved a ton of work as the wall had 2 doors, light switches, and plugs that were positioned symmetrically. I had to remove the drywall and doors, reframe and then put it all back together. It took me 4 hours, but I'm glad I did it.

I'm struggling with visualizing what you did. Do you have a low ceiling and needed to lower the door height so the trim would fit, etc.? Sounds like a lot of work done in a short time in any case!

I'm struggling with visualizing what you did. Do you have a low ceiling and needed to lower the door height so the trim would fit, etc.? Sounds like a lot of work done in a short time in any case!

The ceiling height wasn't the issue. I had built a small "room" that was 4' deep by 12' wide against an exterior wall in the basement. It hides the HW tank, sump pump, electrical panel, and washer/dryer. When measuring for the ceiling tile grid, I discovered that I would have ended up with a 1.5" strip of tiles along one of the 4' walls...not a big deal, but I just didn't want to look at it later wishing I would have changed it when I had the chance.

The ceiling height wasn't the issue. I had built a small "room" that was 4' deep by 12' wide against an exterior wall in the basement. It hides the HW tank, sump pump, electrical panel, and washer/dryer. When measuring for the ceiling tile grid, I discovered that I would have ended up with a 1.5" strip of tiles along one of the 4' walls...not a big deal, but I just didn't want to look at it later wishing I would have changed it when I had the chance.

Wouldn't it have been easier to change the layout of the ceiling tile grid, putting half a tile on one side and (half a tile + 1.5") on the other side?

Wouldn't it have been easier to change the layout of the ceiling tile grid, putting half a tile on one side and (half a tile + 1.5") on the other side?

That half of the basement (there is a bulkhead for the main beam and furnace ducts that splits the ceiling in half) is 36'5" by 12'3". I framed the exterior basement walls and bulkhead to make it exactly 36' X 12' so that the ceiling grid would be all full tiles.

Had I opted to change the grid to avoid moving the wall, then that would have created a 12' row of half tiles at each end, for a total of 24' of half tiles. By moving the wall, the grid will now contain all full tiles for that entire half of the basement, including around the 4'x12' room.

Hopefully that makes sense...??

Day trip to Alora:

4zw5lj.jpg

Just out of Alora station, and that's where I'm going to haul my cane assisted, arthritis/sciatica ridden, Tylenol reinforced, carcass.

2njhb3q.jpg

Almost there.

osfozr.jpg

Ta-Da.

2cnwn6p.jpg

Don't know who this guy is; he was sitting in a doorway in the Alora main square, and I had to take the pic surreptitiously.......to me he looks like an amalgam of Don Quixote & Sam Elliott.

I had renewed the car registration by mail early in the month, wrote the check on November 3 and we noticed that it still had not arrived. Hmmm. Looked on the credit union's web site and found the check still has not cleared, which almost certainly means it got lost in the mail. Bummer.

Then I looked online and found that WV DMV now allows online car registration renewal but they charge an extra buck for the online renewal. So I paid it, and renewed the tag. If the other one shows up in the mail I guess they'll figure it out.

I had renewed the car registration by mail early in the month, wrote the check on November 3 and we noticed that it still had not arrived. Hmmm. Looked on the credit union's web site and found the check still has not cleared, which almost certainly means it got lost in the mail. Bummer.

Then I looked online and found that WV DMV now allows online car registration renewal but they charge an extra buck for the online renewal. So I paid it, and renewed the tag. If the other one shows up in the mail I guess they'll figure it out.

They CHARGE you an extra buck to renew on line?? That is ridiculous. What behavior are reinforcing? In MA you SAVE $5-$10 (depending on registration type) by renewing on line.

They CHARGE you an extra buck to renew on line?? That is ridiculous. What behavior are reinforcing? In MA you SAVE $5-$10 (depending on registration type) by renewing on line.

Yeah, I think it's stupid too but I don't work for WV DMV. I always thought moving electrons was cheaper than moving paper but perhaps I was misinformed....:LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom