Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 09:35 PM   #1841
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Went to a Chicago Cubs game, and helped Bobby Hull up the stairs to dinner
Did you shoulder check him into the wall when you got to the top?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 12:07 AM   #1842
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Anyway, I will stop posting about this here, and may start a new thread so as to stop talking about this subject here.

I for one am interested in the outcome.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:31 AM   #1843
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Did you shoulder check him into the wall when you got to the top?
No, but I think we both would have collapsed if I had. He because of old age. Me because of too many beers.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:10 AM   #1844
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
I for one am interested in the outcome.
Me too. Start a varmint thread.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:58 AM   #1845
Full time employment: Posting here.

Took a Lamborghini gallardo and a Ferrari F430 for a few spins around a track, and performed minor surgery on one of our hens with a swollen comb.
The super car driving was a complete success: I squealed the tires but didn't cause any damage to those lovely machines. I also found out I'm a Lamborghini guy, much to the shame of some of my true gear-head, Ferrari-Phile friends.
We shall wait and see how the little hen recovers from her amateur comb-hacking. If it gets worse, we will dub the comb off entirely.
Today is harvest day for our D'Anjou pear tree.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:59 AM   #1846
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooch96 View Post
Took a Lamborghini gallardo and a Ferrari F430 for a few spins around a track, and performed minor surgery on one of our hens with a swollen comb....
I'll bet you are the only ER.org member that has done these things in the same day. BTW, which car performed the best?
Old 09-05-2016, 10:08 AM   #1847

Took DW to High Tea in SF yesterday for her birthday.

It's actually a few days past her birthday but, we're still celebrating.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #1848

I got DH to loosen up the purse strings for a bit of a bathroom remodel at our vacation home.

It was his idea to begin with, but then he got sticker shock and didn't want to go though with it. The bathroom is not bad at all, but it has a tub/shower surround and DH wants to replace that with a shower to accommodate my parents (and him, I think). He wants a shower with grab bars, that can be entered without having to step high over the side of the tub. We are having Lowe's do the work. When we went to the store the first time, the consultant asked what we wanted to "invest" in the job (ha ha) and DH said $3K - $5K. Consultant said that most jobs of our scope run $5K - $7K. So we go through the process of selecting tiles/doors/ finishes and it comes out to $6800.

DH wanted to walk away, and make it a DIY job or find other contractors to piece-meal the job. I offered to go through our selections and give up some options. We did that, but DH wasn't willing to give up some of the more costly items (such as a nice swinging shower door). Finally the consultant threw in the shower head and grab bars for free and I got DH to say yes to ~$6800.

After years of LBYM and DIY, will be nice to have someone else do the work on a project that has a few little luxuries. Too bad it is in our second home and a bathroom I very rarely use!
Old 09-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #1849

About four or five days ago DW got an iPhone 6s. She has now turned into one of those zombies with her nose buried in the thing playing games or something. Yesterday the 10-year-old little brat grandniece showed her how to download free games. Oh well, at least she sticks to the free ones. For now....

There can be an upside to this. Yesterday driving home (a bit over 2 hours) I noticed that there was little of the usual chatter that can be distracting when in heavy traffic, not a good time to talk. And the Honda has a USB charging connection in the console so no need to buy a separate car charger.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:55 AM   #1850
Give me a forum ...

Uh Oh. Just make sure she puts the phone away when at the dining table.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-05-2016, 12:02 PM   #1851
Moderator Emeritus

Walt: My DW has a 6S also.

Pretty soon she will be telling you to check your text messages if you ask her anything. And once she figures out what SIRI can do, you may be always wrong about anything.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:07 PM   #1852

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
And once she figures out what SIRI can do, you may be always wrong about anything.
That won't change anything, I'm always wrong now anyway.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:13 PM   #1853
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
But here you're all right ..
Old 09-05-2016, 12:45 PM   #1854
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
But of course we always are. And that may apply, even if your wife is not around. I talked about this before.

See: Subjective Idealism.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-05-2016, 12:49 PM   #1855
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
I got DH to loosen up the purse strings for a bit of a bathroom remodel at our vacation home.

It was his idea to begin with, but then he got sticker shock and didn't want to go though with it. The bathroom is not bad at all, but it has a tub/shower surround and DH wants to replace that with a shower to accommodate my parents (and him, I think). He wants a shower with grab bars, that can be entered without having to step high over the side of the tub. We are having Lowe's do the work. When we went to the store the first time, the consultant asked what we wanted to "invest" in the job (ha ha) and DH said $3K - $5K. Consultant said that most jobs of our scope run $5K - $7K. So we go through the process of selecting tiles/doors/ finishes and it comes out to $6800.

DH wanted to walk away, and make it a DIY job or find other contractors to piece-meal the job. I offered to go through our selections and give up some options. We did that, but DH wasn't willing to give up some of the more costly items (such as a nice swinging shower door). Finally the consultant threw in the shower head and grab bars for free and I got DH to say yes to ~$6800.

After years of LBYM and DIY, will be nice to have someone else do the work on a project that has a few little luxuries. Too bad it is in our second home and a bathroom I very rarely use!
Sounds like a wonderful shower! Honestly, the older I get, the more sense it makes to have a good shower with no threshold to trip over, sturdy grab bars, and a seat or plenty of room for a shower stool. We may not need these things now, but when we do everything is set. That's one of the things I like about my Dream House - - it has a dream shower that is elderly/disabled friendly. Also, I am all in favor of having someone else do difficult things when one can afford it. To me, this is a good use for extra money.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 09-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #1856

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
No, but I think we both would have collapsed if I had. He because of old age. Me because of too many beers.
So... Exactly who was helping whom up the stairs??
Old 09-05-2016, 01:23 PM   #1857

My older grandson will start college in a few weeks. I have never been able to talk to him one on one because of his father. I invited him to our local airport for the open house, and his dad balked. I told him he was a helicopter parent and let my grandson come up by himself.
Next thing I know, I get an e-mail from my grandson telling me he was driving up to meet me!
We had a great time together, talked about his college planning, and broke out my slide rule ( class of '58). He had never seen one, so I told him it is in a glass case to be broken in case of power failure
I also told him of my experiences in the early days of home computers with 640K memory and a 4.7MHz processor.
His dad was worried about the cost of tuition, but I sent him the form to get the $2500 American Opportunity tax deduction, plus the money I was sending from the 529 I had set up, he was quite relieved.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:01 PM   #1858
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Sounds like a wonderful shower! Honestly, the older I get, the more sense it makes to have a good shower with no threshold to trip over, sturdy grab bars, and a seat or plenty of room for a shower stool. We may not need these things now, but when we do everything is set. That's one of the things I like about my Dream House - - it has a dream shower that is elderly/disabled friendly. Also, I am all in favor of having someone else do difficult things when one can afford it. To me, this is a good use for extra money.
I almost considered a handicapped shower floor when we rebuilt our home as the shower is plenty large enough but the cost scared me away so we went with a conventional shower base but it is a small 2" threshold so it should serve us well until one of us is wheelchair bound. A couple wealthy friends recently had their master bathrooms renovated with a wheelchair shower and I concede that they are very nice. I think we can fairly easily do it later if necessary.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-05-2016, 03:40 PM   #1859

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I almost considered a handicapped shower floor when we rebuilt our home as the shower is plenty large enough but the cost scared me away so we went with a conventional shower base but it is a small 2" threshold so it should serve us well until one of us is wheelchair bound. A couple wealthy friends recently had their master bathrooms renovated with a wheelchair shower and I concede that they are very nice. I think we can fairly easily do it later if necessary.

We also will have a 2" threshold. To do a wheelchair accessible shower would've meant tiling the entire bathroom floor and that is more $.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:59 PM   #1860

Stopped by the office today intending to take advantage of the team lunch held every Monday and was told that today was Tuesday.

I guess that means I have finally adjusted to this early retirement thing.