Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 11:59 PM   #1861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
but DH wasn't willing to give up some of the more costly items (such as a nice swinging shower door).
We've done major remodels on a couple of bathrooms and the last one we did - the one we use now - does not have the "nice swinging shower door". We went back to a curtain and am very happy with it. Not only did we save over $1,000 on glass, the curtain is a lot easier to clean. The curtain is also better at allowing access to the shower as it gets completely out of the way.

We never liked the curtain in a tub/shower because it tends to "blow" in on you and stick to your legs. However, in a decent size tile shower, the curtain doesn't do that.

The glass is usually the last thing to go up and it is also something you can do later. Might be worth waiting and trying out the curtain. We did and are happy with it.

And in keeping with the topic, today I put primer on the two closets we're remodeling. We ordered the materials to do a "California Closet" treatment, which are expected to arrive tomorrow. I'll paint and install by next weekend so we can get more stuff put away.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2016, 11:24 AM   #1862
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
We've done major remodels on a couple of bathrooms and the last one we did - the one we use now - does not have the "nice swinging shower door". We went back to a curtain and am very happy with it. Not only did we save over $1,000 on glass, the curtain is a lot easier to clean. The curtain is also better at allowing access to the shower as it gets completely out of the way.

We never liked the curtain in a tub/shower because it tends to "blow" in on you and stick to your legs. However, in a decent size tile shower, the curtain doesn't do that.

The glass is usually the last thing to go up and it is also something you can do later. Might be worth waiting and trying out the curtain. We did and are happy with it.

And in keeping with the topic, today I put primer on the two closets we're remodeling. We ordered the materials to do a "California Closet" treatment, which are expected to arrive tomorrow. I'll paint and install by next weekend so we can get more stuff put away.
+1 on the shower curtain. We had our bathroom remodeled a couple of years ago and did not have a shower glass door installed. I got sick of cleaning the old one, so we decided to try a curtain. Besides being easy to clean, you can change it on a whim at very little cost.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:51 AM   #1863
Confused about dryer sheets

What is happiness?

Semi retired and house sitting in Panama. Surprisingly went to a jungle philosophy meeting. Topic was "what is happiness". Thought I'd found it, but damn philosophists - they make you question everything
Save
Old 09-06-2016, 04:14 PM   #1864

Today was a gym day, then went to a shopping center to visit the Sprint and AT&T stores within sight of each other. I wanted to learn more about what plans they offer for the iPhone 6s I'm going to end up buying. Playing around with DW's I'm realizing what I've been missing.

I know, I know. Resistance is futile.

I think I'll wait until the iPhone 7 comes out in a month or so, then the current models will be at least a little cheaper. And at the bottom of the learning curve I'm sure I won't need the newest model.

Then lunch at Ledo's Pizza in the same shopping center. They make a decent gluten-free one. Since by then it was 2:30 we just about had the place to ourselves.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #1865
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
+1 on the shower curtain. We had our bathroom remodeled a couple of years ago and did not have a shower glass door installed. I got sick of cleaning the old one, so we decided to try a curtain. Besides being easy to clean, you can change it on a whim at very little cost.
DW insisted on a curtain rather than a glass door that I wanted... I have to admit that she may have been right (but don't tell her).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-06-2016, 04:18 PM   #1866

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
DW insisted on a curtain rather than a glass door that I wanted... I have to admit that she may have been right (but don't tell her).
OMG, don't ever let her know! You'll be hearing about it for the rest of your life.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:43 PM   #1867
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Grrrr, trying not to choke the life outta my 21 year old son Who destroyed my two very nice pans because he refuses to believe you can't cook, text, take a "quick "shower and watch tv all at the same time. I walking around the house mumbling "this too will pass".

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 09-08-2016, 04:52 PM   #1868
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
Grrrr, trying not to choke the life outta my 21 year old son Who destroyed my two very nice pans because he refuses to believe you can't cook, text, take a "quick "shower and watch tv all at the same time. I walking around the house mumbling "this too will pass".
Sounds like he's old enough to repay you - or work it off.

I just signed up for a Washington Post digital subscription via Amazon Prime. First 6 months free, then (if I still want it) only $4 per month.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:14 PM   #1869

Today was a gym day, then DW wanted to go to the grocery store for some ice tea that she likes. On impulse (because it was on sale) I bought about 5 lbs of very high-fat hamburger - 27% - but I figured most of it would burn off anyway.

Wow, it sure did! I first noticed that "Gee, that's a lot more smoke from the grill than I've ever seen." Then the smoke turned from white to black and I knew there was a problem. A minute later I could see the flames coming from under the lid. Turned off the burners and propane at the tank, it was so hot I had to almost lie on the deck to do that last part.

Then I just let it burn itself out, the grill was far enough away from the rail and siding that it wasn't going to hurt anything. In the future I'll stick to leaner hamburger.

And I had a baked potato for lunch....
Old 09-08-2016, 05:24 PM   #1870

Walt34, that isn't really as bad as you might think. I normally make my burgers out of 2 parts 80% chuck and 1 part Italian sausage mixed together. So the total fat content is at least as high as your 27%.

I've found the key to great burgers is technique. The Smashburger method is my go-to burger technique and hasn't failed me yet.

Instead of putting the meat on the grill, get yourself a cast iron pizza pan. This is the one I use:
Cast Iron Pizza Pan -14 Inch

Put that on the grill and let it get hot (anything over 400 °F works nicely).

Then use the Smashburger method. Here's a great video on how to do it by the founder of the chain:
Smashburger Founder Tom Ryan Teaches Us How to Make a Smashburger
Old 09-08-2016, 05:35 PM   #1871

Thanks for the links. I put the pizza pan on my wish list, maybe order next month.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:43 PM   #1872
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Sounds like he's old enough to repay you - or work it off.
+1
Old 09-08-2016, 06:31 PM   #1873
Recycles dryer sheets

I picked 3 lbs of bush beans, guess that'll be lunch for the dog and me tomorrow. Trying to finish up a ball of thick ivory colored yarn, the old hands are complaining a bit. The unfinished mess is mocking me
Old 09-08-2016, 11:35 PM   #1874

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
Stopped by the office today intending to take advantage of the team lunch held every Monday and was told that today was Tuesday.

I guess that means I have finally adjusted to this early retirement thing.
Well, it was still Monday back here in the US of A....we missed you @ lunch.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:15 AM   #1875

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post

I also wanted a curtain (easier to clean) but DH wanted the door. I admit that the glass door will look more "high end", and since this shower will not be used on a regular basis the cleaning won't be too onerous. Unless, of course, I love the final product so much I switch to this new shower as my default.

In any event, the door was a custom order that has already been placed, so we'd lose some money if we cancel now. The total cost of the project won't even put a dent in our cash reserves so it's not worth wot worrying about it
Old 09-09-2016, 07:26 AM   #1876

Booked 10 days in Grand Cayman for next March, our Happy Place. We endeavor to buy a condo there for winters should the planets align on some other real estate dealings. We are divers and will diver our favorite site on the planet there again (Babylon) and tour the dining and drinking establishments as we always do. Will be my first vacation post-FIRE.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #1877
Give me a forum ...

I took a bath.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #1878
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I took a bath.

Well it is Saturday... :-)

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 09-10-2016, 04:26 PM   #1879

Quote:
I took a bath.
That's right, it is Saturday....

Gym day today, and spent about two hours figuring out how to transfer photos from DW's new iPhone to the Windows 10 PC. Turns out that iTunes will let me put photon in the phone, but I see no way to get them out with that software. Turns out that Windows Photo Gallery will do it with no fuss.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:39 PM   #1880
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Well it is Saturday... :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That's right, it is Saturday....
It is.....?