Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-17-2016, 08:41 AM   #1921
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
My birthday 2 days ago turned into a nightmare, but not mine. I carpool to band practice picking someone up each week. I went to pick her up and she looked like she had just woke up. She said she was sick and wasn't going. She gave told me to get her music and take it to practice. I got to worrying about her unusual behavior and called her after practice. She was incoherent. I went to her apartment and found that she had been lying/sitting on the sofa for at least 24 hrs without getting up. I commanded her to stand up which she did without difficulty, but her brain wasn't working right.

I decided to drive her to the ER rather than call an ambulance because she is beyond dirt poor. She was in early septic shock. I stayed at the hospital until it was clear she was going to be OK.

She's sees me as a friend and yet I don't see her as a friend. She uses people around her, makes poor decisions, and makes no effort to take care of herself. She is morbidly obese. She has a master's degree but works 3rd shift at Walmart.

I saved her life but I'm embarrassed to be around her. We are connected by the carpool to band. I'm at a quandary as she needs help, has little family (53 years old, only child, parents deceased), and I don't want to keep giving her help. What a strange position to be in.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Not a great way to spend your b-day, but not too many of us ever get to can say we saved someone's life, EVER, let alone while replying to a 'what did you do today?' thread. I haven't read the hundreds of entries on this thread so someone else might have saved a whole school bus full of kids or something :-)

Don't believe you owe your band acquaintance anything more than what you have already done for her. Maybe wait and see what her next move is? If someone helped me like you did, I would be greatful and reach out to thank them. But if her first instinct is to ask for more and is 'owe is me,' i'd keep my distance.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2016, 09:09 AM   #1922
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I went to the cemetery where DF rests to understand how to relocate him to a Veteran's cemetery (his original wish and DM's desire ever since). They require not only her authorization but also the approval (via notarized signature) of all living children. Huh? Each child has final word and veto power on a matter involving the parents wishes? When I pointed out no such requirement was applied when he was buried there, she smiled, stood, shook my hand and let me know the meeting was over. I am not certain this relocation will take place.
Good luck. DW's family went through the ringer on my FIL's burial. The family has plots together, but somehow the cemetery was claiming none were assigned under my FIL's name. It went in circles with all sorts of strange technical/legal terms about the succession of ownership in the family, and that we were going to have to get permission from some family members that no one had talked to in 30 years. It just kept getting stranger and stranger.

I was suggesting that it was time to take this to whatever state board regulates these places. I don't think we got to the point of that happening, but when DW was at their office, suddenly it was , "Oh, Mr John Doe? Yes, that is his plot right here." They acted like this was the first time his name was mentioned. Oh that John Doe? It was like they had the info all the time, and couldn't make sense out of their own records.

He was cremated, so no urgency other than some out of state relatives that wanted to attend the burial, but still a real pain.

I should remind DW that we meant to follow up with them and make sure again that her Mother's plot is understood, and get something to document all that. Don't want to deal with it when the time comes.

-ERD50

Old 09-17-2016, 10:28 AM   #1923
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dropped off the car for 65k mile service. While picking it up later in the day, I saw a new VW GTI .............................. Oooooh prettyyyyyy!!!

But, we don't buy new cars.
So, we went grocery shopping & returned home.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #1924

MIL has been bringing up stories from her childhood - one being her one room school (for all of grades 1-8). She explained roughly where it was out in farm country. Sure enough I found it on an 1876 county map that I have. Took her by there yesterday without saying anything - she spotted the school immediately even though it has been converted into a house.

Today just playing with my cameras and doing some yard work.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:34 PM   #1925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Dropped off the car for 65k mile service. While picking it up later in the day, I saw a new VW GTI.............................. Oooooh prettyyyyyy!!!

But, we don't buy new cars.
So, we went grocery shopping & returned home.
Well, there are slightly used ones out there! Notwithstanding all the baloney that VW is going thru with the diesels, those GTI's are very fun cars.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:39 PM   #1926

ROMEO breakfast and now planning to go buy a birthday card for DW's B'day tomorrow. This year I actually remembered. Thank you Google Calendar!

Tonight is B'day dinner at Fleming's Steak House. BIL and his DW will attend also. This is going to cost some big bucks, but like Robbie says, "spend that stash".
Old 09-17-2016, 10:52 PM   #1927
Give me a forum ...

Momentous day here. I did the paperwork to start receiving my defined benefit pension starting on Oct 1!
Old 09-18-2016, 01:57 AM   #1928

We packed a picnic lunch and spent the afternoon wine tasting in Sonoma Valley. We had a pass for three days of tastings across eleven wineries for the Sonoma Crush Harvest Festival. We had nice weather and a fun outing.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:16 PM   #1929

Scored many many points yesterday with DW when I figured out how to sync Lightroom Mobile (photo editing app) on her iPhone to a photo collection on the desktop PC. This gives her the option of carrying an entire photo portfolio of her grandnephews and grandnieces around to show to anyone who will look.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:32 PM   #1930
Full time employment: Posting here.

Showed DH a YouTube video about how to clean a windshield with 0000 steel wool followed by Rainex. We'll see if it "takes."

Made me wonder about the shower door...

Kindest regards.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 09-18-2016, 05:57 PM   #1931

DD was married yesterday. A beautiful wedding on a beautiful fall day including aspen in all colors from green to yellow to oranges and reds. A magical reception and celebration followed in a rustic wedding barn with all the lighting effects you would expect from a professional lighting designer and her friends. There was a very proud papa in attendance.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:00 PM   #1932
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations to all!
Now get back to your building.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:31 PM   #1933

Ran a 20 mile race as my final long marathon training run. Then gorged on pizza and beer.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-18-2016, 07:24 PM   #1934

Filled up (2) 90 gallon toters with yard waste.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:07 PM   #1935

Today was DW's birthday. The kids came over and we had a party.

Last night I took Robbie's advice and spent some of the stash on a birthday dinner at Fleming's Steak House.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:08 PM   #1936
Administrator

Started with 25 lbs of plum tomatoes, six heads of garlic and a whole lot of fresh rosemary and thyme out of the garden. Ended up with 12 pint Ball jars filled with roasted tomato sauce.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:36 PM   #1937
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Started with 25 lbs of plum tomatoes, six heads of garlic and a whole lot of fresh rosemary and thyme out of the garden. Ended up with 12 pint Ball jars filled with roasted tomato sauce.
Now that sounds good!
Old 09-19-2016, 07:26 AM   #1938
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Showed DH a YouTube video about how to clean a windshield with 0000 steel wool followed by Rainex. We'll see if it "takes."
Thanks for that! When I got my car back from a repair they had also cleaned it. I was meaning to call them to ask how they got the windshield so clean.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #1939

Had a nice get-together with some family yesterday. Lamb loin chops in the grill, quinoa mash, broccoli, garden green salad. I really like to see the grandchildren (5 & 7) eating - and enjoying - such a wide variety of foods. DD made some white wine sangria, perfect for a sunny late summer afternoon. Life is good..
Old 09-20-2016, 05:17 PM   #1940

Underwent a colonoscopy. Nothing worthy of note was found, and as a bonus I now have medical proof that in fact my head is not in there.