Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 06:09 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Made a run for "hunkering down" food and necessities (chocolate, popcorn, cat food, big library book, etc). Going to be -35 wind chill beginning tonight through Tuesday. That's cold even for hearty St. Paul-ites.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2016, 07:59 PM   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Went to a home and garden show, complete with a tour of 3 Tiny Houses and 2 Container Homes. I like the concept of downsizing, but 160 sf is a little too small.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:29 AM   #123
Administrator

I took down all the holiday ornaments and decorations, then the tree.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:55 AM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I took down all the holiday ornaments and decorations, then the tree.

I spent the same amount of time taking down holiday stuff as I did putting them up, i.e. none...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 01-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
At my old house, I turned the large dining room into my home gym. That worked out very nicely for me.

The dining room in my new home is too small for that and it is the least used room in my new home.

I rarely use the dining room, except to walk between the living room and the kitchen.

I had a weight-machine in the garage, but also had a relatively inexpensive gym membership, so decided to get rid of the machine. Too hot in my garage much of the year for it to be practical anyway, and my garage is so much roomier now.

One of my bedrooms is a music room/studio, and the third bedroom is actually a bedroom, for the once-a-year, if that, guest. Better than dealing with someone sleeping on the couch...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 01-16-2016, 09:02 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I spent the same amount of time taking down holiday stuff as I did putting them up, i.e. none...
+1

I selfishly enjoy the holiday stuff that others put up, and do zero of that myself.

I figure I've BTDT, when my daughter was a little girl and now that I am older, I have a "pass", so to speak.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Railroad
Old 01-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #127

Railroad

I will be working the caboose on a local tourist railroad. We put people up in the cupola for the trip and they love it
http://www.fwry.com
Old 01-16-2016, 09:17 AM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
One of my bedrooms is a music room/studio, and the third bedroom is actually a bedroom, for the once-a-year, if that, guest. Better than dealing with someone sleeping on the couch...
I had a guest bedroom like that, that was hardly ever used, at my last house, which had 3 bedrooms (so I had a guest bedroom and a study). It took up well over 10% of the square footage at my home, and really wasn't something that anybody particularly needed when visiting me. So, even though it is conventional to maintain a guest bedroom, in my case it seemed pretty useless.

The new house is a 2 bedroom, so I set up the extra bedroom as the study and eliminated the guest bedroom. I decided that guests can either stay at a nearby motel, or I can offer them a nice, comfy blow-up air mattress in the study. It's not the wild west and there are several nice motels within walking distance of my home.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Went to a home and garden show, complete with a tour of 3 Tiny Houses and 2 Container Homes. I like the concept of downsizing, but 160 sf is a little too small.
My old motor home living space is roughly 8x32 feet or 256 sq ft. I've been living in it for going on to two years. That is pretty small for just one person.

Had two house guests last night. That meant the sofa and dinette were both folded down into beds. That makes for very tight quarters, but when it is below zero outside, anywhere that is heated is comfortable!
Old 01-16-2016, 03:26 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Finally had decent weather (no rain, warm temps) so I went kayaking on the Estero River. Found a nice beehive on a branch about 20 feet over the river. It was about 5 feet across on a large branch.

It was hard getting a decent picture since the river was running so fast from the big storm yesterday. I need to get an anchor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0954.jpg (835.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0955.jpg (689.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I will be working the caboose on a local tourist railroad. We put people up in the cupola for the trip and they love it
I bet that's fun to do. A bit far for me though so I'll have to pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Found a nice beehive on a branch about 20 feet over the river. It was about 5 feet across on a large branch.
Wow, I've never seen a beehive that big!
Old 01-16-2016, 07:50 PM   #132

It never got warmer than 10 below zero outside today so I made red cabbage, rode my exercise bike and surfed the internet.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #133

I volunteered on the Filmore and Western Railway in the caboose. Had passengers go up into the cupola for a better view. It was in the mid 60's here. One of our passengers was from Minnesota and said it was like summer here
Old 01-17-2016, 03:11 PM   #134

Most days I think I take my good fortune (being ERed) for granted. But just now, as I look out at the snow and hear the forecast for tomorrow morning (bitter cold windchill), I am very happy that neither one of us has to go out tomorrow. I'm getting ready to cook a nice dinner and we will nestle in for the night without having to think of an alarm clock or a cold commute.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:39 PM   #135

It's been a long weekend. Dad's memorial service was yesterday and today I've been working on getting our post-job health insurance.

We are off exchange for this year so I was able to get a UHC PPO HSA plan for about $675 and our current doc is on it.

I'm ready to sleep now... maybe for a couple of days
Old 01-17-2016, 04:55 PM   #136

It's DHs birthday weekend - so I've been cooking. We have a pork roast in the crockpot, Italian Cream cake in the fridge, and bread is rising. Tonight we're having family over for a nice birthday party.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:58 PM   #137

Rounded out the last few weeks of my forties by doing the Hong Kong marathon yesterday. Slow (very slow) and wet but great to be out there again after a three year absence for one reason or another.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:10 PM   #138
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
Rounded out the last few weeks of my forties by doing the Hong Kong marathon yesterday. Slow (very slow) and wet but great to be out there again after a three year absence for one reason or another.

Congrats! Taking it slow is ok - it's a great accomplishment just to finish.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-17-2016, 05:39 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Congrats! Taking it slow is ok - it's a great accomplishment just to finish.
+1

Wonderful accomplishment, TraineeInvestor! Something to remember always.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:09 AM   #140

Did some retail shopping after the market plummeted Friday, ended up buying a townhome. That's one way to re-allocate my assets I lost more in the market since Jan than this house costs... that's hard for me to wrap my head around. If nothing else it will keep me busy for the next few months.
Closed Thread