Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 03:00 PM   #181

Sorry about that, Sue J. I went through exactly the same thing with my mom a few years ago and it was terribly sad. Costs were not much different, either. What made it even sadder was that mom needed a "memory care" AL facility but she had significant spells where she was perfectly lucid. It came and went on a random basis.

We were lucky in that my mom didn't last long in that final facility. It was nice, and she was well treated, but it was only a matter of months until the end.

I'm sure you'll visit as often as you can. That's what they want more than anything. Best wishes.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2016, 03:14 PM   #182

Today I made the first deposit on my downsizing. I took 10 suits and 3 sport coats to Goodwill. It didn't make much of a dent overall, but it's a start. Now to keep the momentum going. Cloths and paperwork are first because there's not much emotion involved and not much dispute that it's not something we should keep or could sell.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:30 PM   #183
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
True, but probably not unusual at all for Hermit.
We had 12 inches and then 18 inches in a little over a week earlier this year, but I haven't seen 2 feet in two days since I have been here. Walt wins the heavy snow contest!
Old 01-24-2016, 08:14 PM   #184
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
My sister and I met at my Dad's assisted living facility to give him the news that he's moving to a hospice facility. Not a fun day.

We all wish that this was over already, especially him. Just another step in the long slow decline.

Sue , I know exactly how you feel . My Mom went on hospice three days ago .She is still in an independent living facility but that is only temporary .She lives in a life care community so eventually she will be moved to the skilled nursing unit . It is so hard to watch our parents go through this .
Old 01-25-2016, 03:41 AM   #185
Full time employment: Posting here.

We had over 30" of snow on Friday/Saturday- got my BobCat stuck while plowing out on Saturday. We spent about 4 hours getting it out of the snow drift I was in. As we pulled backwards with the truck, it just wanted to slide down a hill sideways- not steep so never in danger but very frustrating. It finally came up the hill and then slid on to a pile of snow and turtled- all four wheels off the ground with the bottom resting on the packed snow. About 45 minutes with a shovel laying on the ground removed the snow and we're back in business- will try to finish the plowing today. I plow our gravel road which is 1.2 miles to the closest black top which hadn't been plowed as of yesterday afternoon either.

For a snow this size, I would liked to have got out when there was about 12-15" to move it to the sides of the road or over the hills but because is started later in the afternoon, there was 2' of snow when I got up on Saturday morning. Pretty but yuck!
Old 01-25-2016, 05:29 AM   #186
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
We had over 30" of snow on Friday/Saturday- got my BobCat stuck while plowing out on Saturday. We spent about 4 hours getting it out of the snow drift I was in. As we pulled backwards with the truck, it just wanted to slide down a hill sideways- not steep so never in danger but very frustrating. It finally came up the hill and then slid on to a pile of snow and turtled- all four wheels off the ground with the bottom resting on the packed snow. About 45 minutes with a shovel laying on the ground removed the snow and we're back in business- will try to finish the plowing today. I plow our gravel road which is 1.2 miles to the closest black top which hadn't been plowed as of yesterday afternoon either.

For a snow this size, I would liked to have got out when there was about 12-15" to move it to the sides of the road or over the hills but because is started later in the afternoon, there was 2' of snow when I got up on Saturday morning. Pretty but yuck!

I remember we had a similar sized snowfall and incident with out bobcat a few years ago. I ended up having to snowblow with our little one to get the suv to the place to pull it out. It took hours.

The next week I invested in snow chains and a snow blower. They make a huge difference when we get hit bad and we lose places to put the snow.

Out driveway is on 1/4 Mile long but it averages 13% grade and has a couple of switchbacks so I am glad we live at the top and plow down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2016, 06:45 AM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbahop View Post
The next week I invested in snow chains and a snow blower. They make a huge difference when we get hit bad and we lose places to put the snow.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Would love to have a blower but I should at least get a set of chains!
Old 01-25-2016, 07:05 AM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
...For a snow this size, I would liked to have got out when there was about 12-15" to move it to the sides of the road or over the hills but because is started later in the afternoon, there was 2' of snow when I got up on Saturday morning. Pretty but yuck!
We had the same situation where the snow started too late at night to start snowblower. Don't want to wake the neighbors. Took me 5 hours on Saturday to do our drive and an elderly neighbor.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:16 AM   #189
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Sue , I know exactly how you feel . My Mom went on hospice three days ago .She is still in an independent living facility but that is only temporary .She lives in a life care community so eventually she will be moved to the skilled nursing unit . It is so hard to watch our parents go through this .
So sorry to read this, Moemg. I know this is so hard for you and your family to watch your mother go through this. Take care.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-25-2016, 03:30 PM   #190

Called my doctor's office just to let him know of a slight adverse reaction to a medication that I'm on. They called back and said he wanted to see me, and that since they'd had some cancellations they could see me in a couple of hours. She acted surprised when I said "sure". I soon found out why.

The HOA contractors had our development cleared last night with some heavy equipment and big plows so that was cleared of snow. The secondary (and some primary) state roads are still a mess. Most of the secondaries were single lane and had several inches of snow still on them. Many vehicles were stuck in deep snow. Normally a 15-minute drive, this took twice that.

When we arrived there only three staff (usually there are five) and usually there are at least a few people in the waiting room but there were none. The lights were out so apparently there were more than a "few" cancellations. I thanked the doctor for seeing me on short notice when they were so busy and he laughed. He said he still drives his 13-year-old 4WD Subaru and that works fine.

Afterward DW wanted to go out to lunch but the restaurant was closed and we saw a long line of traffic at the exit out of the area we usually take so we took the "back way" home.

A mutual decision was made to stay home for at least a couple more days before we go out again.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:58 PM   #191
Moderator Emeritus

I have the 50 year old Heath SB-301 receiver electrically re-assembled and complete. I ran it through the final checks, applied power, and it both lit up (vacuum tubes... They do that) and put static out the speaker. That's the first time this thing has seen power in some 30 years, based on the condition I got it in. Now I've got to go through the basic alignment and functional checkout procedures.

It's fun for me to get something like this running again. It's a whole new application for my little office/workroom now that I'm not making computers go any more (the old j*b...).

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-25-2016, 05:29 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
We had the same situation where the snow started too late at night to start snowblower. Don't want to wake the neighbors. Took me 5 hours on Saturday to do our drive and an elderly neighbor.
I wouldn't want to be rude to the neighbors either, but that snow was an emergency situation. I would have tried to stay ahead of it no matter how much noise or what time it was. You're a very kind neighbor.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
A mutual decision was made to stay home for at least a couple more days before we go out again.
This is something I'm very much looking forward to in retirement. Snow is so much easier to deal with when you don't actually have to be somewhere. We've had virtually no snow in S.E. Michigan this year, but I remember one year where it snowed almost every day in December. I was either working, driving in snow (stressful) or shoveling. Thankfully that year the rest of winter was not too bad. A couple more weeks of that routine and I don't know what I would have done.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:46 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
My sister and I met at my Dad's assisted living facility to give him the news that he's moving to a hospice facility. Not a fun day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
You're both in my thoughts. This is a rough stage to go through.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:29 PM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I wouldn't want to be rude to the neighbors either, but that snow was an emergency situation. I would have tried to stay ahead of it no matter how much noise or what time it was. You're a very kind neighbor.
My husband is sick and needs his sleep too. Unfortunately, I started with bronchitis that day so it took me longer than normal. Elderly neighbor wanted to chat (his wife passed last summer) even though I told him I wasn't feeling good and I needed to get done.....he's hard to get away from cause he's lonely. Took off work today cause I'm still barking like a seal. Look at all the exercise I got!
Old 01-26-2016, 08:33 AM   #196

Here in Pa we got 31 inches. Fri night and Saturday it was blowing hard, so whatever you shoveled out got filled in again! Waited til Sun morning to get at it. Spent about 7 hours old-schooling it with a plastic shovel. Fill big garbage can with snow, drag garbage can to dump area, dump snow out, repeat about a hundred times! There's not enough space in my townhome development for the snow, so huge piles in street and in between driveways. Muscles and tendons slowly getting back to normal!
Old 01-26-2016, 12:57 PM   #197

Finished reading "The Kraken Project" by Douglas Preston. I'd never heard of the author but I got a couple of his books at the library. It's a good yarn about a self-aware AI program that escapes during an accident into the internet and the ensuing chase to capture her. (Yes, "she".) The ending is good, although a bit freaky. I started the book yesterday and finished this afternoon. I'll need to make another library run soon.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:17 PM   #198
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just got back from a 4 day visit to Disney/Universal/SeaWorld with DD and 9 y.o. DGD, although DD was working during part of it (gymnastics coach for some big meet at the ESPN Park). Friday was chilly and rainy, Saturday was cold (50 degree high) and windy, Sunday was chilly but clear. Had an OK time at the parks, although they're not my thing. I did enjoy SeaWorld.

By then the blizzard had decimated the DC area and all the flights were cancelled so we packed them up and brought them home with us to sunny SWFL. It was DGD's first visit to our FL home. We had a lovely visit to Manatee State Park on the way home, with more manatees than you could shake a stick at. We took them to the Dog Beach, then to Bonita Beach. The Dog Beach is always fun, dogs having a blast playing in the water. Bonita had taken quite a hit from the storms and meteotsunami a week or so ago, but they also drove a ton of shells up on the shore, so that part was fun. We walked to the river, walked over and played mini golf, and also hung out at the house. All this was in a 24 hour period. What a fabulous bonus time with the family. Put them on a plane this afternoon, and they're safely home now. Miss them already.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:35 AM   #199

I am currently in Costa Rica attending a Spanish immersion program, something I've long wanted to do. Yesterday I walked to school, spent fours in class, then headed to the hills for a hike in a rainforest. Stopped in at a mercado on the way home to grab some items for dinner and enjoyed them al fresco on my little apt balcony before heading indoors to work on my nightly homework assignments.

This is one of those times/experiences where I am more thankful then one could ever imagine to be ER'd.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:00 AM   #200
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
I am currently in Costa Rica attending a Spanish immersion program, something I've long wanted to do. Yesterday I walked to school, spent fours in class, then headed to the hills for a hike in a rainforest. Stopped in at a mercado on the way home to grab some items for dinner and enjoyed them al fresco on my little apt balcony before heading indoors to work on my nightly homework assignments.

This is one of those times/experiences where I am more thankful then one could ever imagine to be ER'd.

Elizabeth

Would love it if you keep us updated on how you like it. This is one thing I have considered doing as well. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Closed Thread