What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my illuminated keyboard and hooked it up. My brilliant DW suggested i get one as I do not touch type. I Love it !!!

Participated in my church's Ash Wednesday service earlier this evening. In another first for me, I got to sing the bass part, since we had plenty of tenors again, but no basses.

Io ho dato l'esame per la classe italiano questa mattina. L'esame é stato molto facile.

Non avrò classe lunedì. Non farò i compiti questo fine settimana.

So... until next Wednesday I will continue to practice/review the previous 2 semesters.

Molto bene! Italiano è la lingua più bella!

Finished taxes last night. Went faster than anticipated. Nice little refund, too! Maybe by the time it arrives I will be ready to dive into some Vanguard...

Went to the range. Bought some Valentine roses for the young wife. Went out to dinner and then to a concert by the young Italian trio "Il Volo". A very nice day.

Ran 5 miles, swept the floors, watered the drought resistant plants that don't need water, bought turbo tax, took an hour and half nap, lowered my car insurance by about 100$, collected some rent, pulled some weeds, drank about 4 liters of green tea and bought 2 pizzas with dd (using coupon saving 4$).

Plowed deep snow in about 50 degree weather. Got the plow truck stuck several times and had to dig it out. Also had to shovel piles of snow that stopped the plow when they got too deep. That was more exercise than the skiing I did the day before, but not as much fun.

Plowed deep snow in about 50 degree weather. Got the plow truck stuck several times and had to dig it out. Also had to shovel piles of snow that stopped the plow when they got too deep. That was more exercise than the skiing I did the day before, but not as much fun.
Wondering if you should look into a heavier, more reliable, piece of equipment for snow removal. I know cost can sometimes be a factor but also wondering how long you'll be able to "dig it out" when your older equipment gets stuck. It sounds like you've had to dig it out or fix it several times this season. Or is your equipment undersized for the kinds of snow you get at your new location?

Wondering if you should look into a heavier, more reliable, piece of equipment for snow removal. I know cost can sometimes be a factor but also wondering how long you'll be able to "dig it out" when your older equipment gets stuck. It sounds like you've had to dig it out or fix it several times this season. Or is your equipment undersized for the kinds of snow you get at your new location?

The problem this time was plowing through more than one snow storm and some major drifting we had up here a bit ago - 50 mph wind gusts. One of the summer people wanted to come up and needed the road back to his place opened. The roads are about 10 ft wide and my plow is 7.5 ft wide. Couldn't get much wider and still get through. The truck is old - 92 F250, but the engine was rebuilt not too long before I got it. I think plowing is hard on any equipment and leads to continuing repairs. I'm thinking of putting lockers in the differentials which should help with the problems of getting stuck. I also have a tractor with a front end loader that is down in Pueblo that I need to get up here. That would help a lot in moving large piles of snow. A large snow blower would be neat, but between not knowing how it would work with all the rocks up here and the cost, I'll probably not get one. I just do most of it for fun and ask the folks I plow for to make a donation to the kid's camp for my trouble.

Hermit, I can understand not have a blower with a rock driveway. Just worry about my online "friends" maybe getting hurt. You are right about how hard plowing is on trucks and tractors. It can be hard on the operator too!

Went to India Fest in Ft Myers.
We got matching henna tattoos on our arms.
Had Indian food (toned down to slightly spicy) and bought some clothes.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Hermit, I can understand not have a blower with a rock driveway. Just worry about my online "friends" maybe getting hurt. You are right about how hard plowing is on trucks and tractors. It can be hard on the operator too!
Thanks splitwdw. You are right about plowing being hard on a person. I'm pretty well beat after a day's plowing. And that's without any snow shoveling! That truck has an extra heavy weight package with an extra leaf on all four springs and F350 break calipers in the front. It rides like a buck board.

I don't have much in the way of steep drop-offs or anything, but there are ditches on the sides of the road which is usually what I get stuck in while one side of the truck is buried in 2 or 3 feet of snow . My place is right in the middle of the Ranch, so I'm usually within a mile of home.

One of my neighbors was over fishing at Lake of the Woods for a few days and had a fish fry this afternoon. Lots of excellent Walleye filets and side dishes. Someone was there from Colorado and brought some very good herbal edibles to share. Just walked home and am sitting here with some coffee flavored Patron over ice and a Mobile Fidelity LP “Darkside Of The Moon” on my turntable. Next I have to search Netflix for a good movie to watch tonight. It’s only 2 degrees outside but its been a very pleasant day

Went for a nice 6 mile hike with a couple of friends at Bird Rookery Swamp. It was a beautiful day. Saw a few gators, a roseate spoonbill, tons of herons, egrets, and ibises, and also saw a few coons and other birds. We had a very close encounter with one big gator, and another with a red shoulder hawk. Also got to watch a pileated woodpecker giving a piece of wood on the ground/water a good workout.

Attachments

• DSCF1021.jpg
    DSCF1021.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • DSCF1046.jpg
    DSCF1046.jpg
    606.4 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF1099.jpg
    DSCF1099.jpg
    742.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
One of my neighbors was over fishing at Lake of the Woods for a few days and had a fish fry this afternoon. Lots of excellent Walleye filets and side dishes. Someone was there from Colorado and brought some very good herbal edibles to share. Just walked home and am sitting here with some coffee flavored Patron over ice and a Mobile Fidelity LP “Darkside Of The Moon” on my turntable. Next I have to search Netflix for a good movie to watch tonight. It’s only 2 degrees outside but its been a very pleasant day

So the fish wasn't the only thing fried...

Have you tried sync'ing Dark Side with The Wizard of Oz? Sounds like a good way to spend a cold evening.

I volunteered on The local tourist railroad. I was the docent for passengers wanting to ride the caboose. The highlight is to ride up in the cupola

Attachments

• 999590.JPG
    999590.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 26
Thanks splitwdw. You are right about plowing being hard on a person. I'm pretty well beat after a day's plowing. And that's without any snow shoveling! That truck has an extra heavy weight package with an extra leaf on all four springs and F350 break calipers in the front. It rides like a buck board.

I don't have much in the way of steep drop-offs or anything, but there are ditches on the sides of the road which is usually what I get stuck in while one side of the truck is buried in 2 or 3 feet of snow . My place is right in the middle of the Ranch, so I'm usually within a mile of home.

The last big snow (24") we had in Pennsy wasn't as deep as what you got but I was sore the next day. I'm not that big and our snow blower is big and all the controls are made for a man's hand. My hands ached the next day from being stretched to reach the controls. I was outside for 5 hours. I don't like to stop until I'm finished. We don't get enough snow to make a plow for my truck worth while and as you said, plowing is hard on your vehicle.....I've got a pretty truck and want to keep it that way! I've only gotten to use my 4wd once and that was in our parking lot at work. After our 24" snow on Saturday, we get to work on Monday and they only plowed part of the parking lot. There's limited parking so I parked in the area they didn't plow and needed my 4wd to get back far enough. Oh well, keep safe.

So the fish wasn't the only thing fried...

Yes, the fish had fried company.

Have you tried sync'ing Dark Side with The Wizard of Oz? Sounds like a good way to spend a cold evening.

I haven't heard of syncing those two things but I don't have a copy of Wizard of Oz. I guess it might be on Netflix but I haven't searched for it, I was never really a fan of the movie.

Made these No Bake Date Bars, ongoing arsenal in my efforts to stop eating sweets (I like sugar a bit too much, and it for sure doesn't like me in return). These date bars are naturally sweetened, and thus don't ignite my sugar demon.

I then put together the dough to surprise DH with fresh baked white chocolate/cranberry/oatmeal cookies for Valentines Day. He loves these cookies, me not so much (more of a dark chocolate fan) so I know they'll be 'safe.'

Spent the rest of the day decorating, ushering, serving, then dancing, at a Sweetheart Concert, Dinner & Sock Hop our Lifelong Learning program organized.

Today we are prepping the RV for a 2 night getaway to the beach, where we'll hike by day and dine out by night.

Life in FIRE is good!

Last edited:
It was 5 below zero when I got up this morning. When left to go to church, the car said "nope." So I had to get the young wife's car out of the garage and jump mine. I guess its getting to be time for a new battery. This one is 8 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom