What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cashed in my pennies at at local Coinstar for an Amazon credit - $47 worth. I can't remember why I collected them.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Even here, in still-frozen MN, we have King Cakes down at the local (scrumptious) bakery! It is a fabulous bakery and the King Cake they make looks like the one pictured, so I assume it might be at least semi-authentic.
Every year I have a good intention of giving up sweets for Lent, but between girl scout cookies, king cakes, and the world's greatest chocolate bar kids at my door it lasts about 3 days. Oh well, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. . .

Even here, in still-frozen MN, we have King Cakes down at the local (scrumptious) bakery! It is a fabulous bakery and the King Cake they make looks like the one pictured, so I assume it might be at least semi-authentic.
Every year I have a good intention of giving up sweets for Lent, but between girl scout cookies, king cakes, and the world's greatest chocolate bar kids at my door it lasts about 3 days. Oh well, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. . .

There are lots of imitation King cakes out there. We even have them here in Texas at Kroger. But to get the real deal (with the cup and beads).......New Orleans.:cool:

Slept in, after lunch (late breakfast or early lunch?) fielded a call from "the US Treasury" telling me I owed $5k for my 2012 taxes and if I didn't pay up immediately, I would be arrested. They had my phone #, my address and my complete name. They didn't have any indication that I was married, and according to the caller, I had just ignored the numerous letters they sent to my home. When I asked for details on the return (I was the preparer and it is my return), he told me it was confidential! After about 10 minutes, I got bored with the call and hung up. I then proceeded to go to the IRS website and filled out the phishing alert form. Then spent an hour explaining to DW that I am NOT going to be arrested for failing to send these guys $5k+ via a prepaid credit card! Decided to work on the family's taxes and had a problem with my son's return. Finished the day with over an hour on chat then hold to find out that the best solution is to re-create his return and reenter all of the information :facepalm:.

Shouldn't have gotten out of bed!

Cashed in my pennies at at local Coinstar for an Amazon credit - $47 worth. I can't remember why I collected them.

I am curious to know how big a jar it takes to hold 4700 pennies. You should have taken a photo.

Slept in, after lunch (late breakfast or early lunch?) fielded a call from "the US Treasury" telling me I owed $5k for my 2012 taxes and if I didn't pay up immediately, I would be arrested. They had my phone #, my address and my complete name. They didn't have any indication that I was married, and according to the caller, I had just ignored the numerous letters they sent to my home. When I asked for details on the return (I was the preparer and it is my return), he told me it was confidential! After about 10 minutes, I got bored with the call and hung up. I then proceeded to go to the IRS website and filled out the phishing alert form. Then spent an hour explaining to DW that I am NOT going to be arrested for failing to send these guys $5k+ via a prepaid credit card! Decided to work on the family's taxes and had a problem with my son's return. Finished the day with over an hour on chat then hold to find out that the best solution is to re-create his return and reenter all of the information :facepalm:.

Shouldn't have gotten out of bed!

Well, you are the Taxman!

That is why I let it go on for a bit. It was fun until I saw that DW was thinking it was real :facepalm:

I'm surprised with all the publicity about the scam that your wife hadn't heard about it.

We had a low key day today. We went out to Red Robin for burgers for lunch and did a couple of errands. Last night we took the train into the city to see The Illusionists - Live from Broadway, a touring magic show.

Our low key days, which most of our days are, do not have us leaving the home except for a walk around the neighborhood. Or if I leave the home, it's to make a quick dash to Home Depot for material for my home DIY projects.

So, going out for lunch then seeing a show in the evening is not low key at all to me.

Our low key days, which most of our days are, do not have us leaving the home except for a walk around the neighborhood. Or if I leave the home, it's to make a quick dash to Home Depot for material for my home DIY projects.

So, going out for lunch then seeing a show in the evening is not low key at all to me.

Actually, we went to the show last night. Today we just went out for burgers and errands. But we probably do go out most days even if it just errands or a walk at a park.

I am curious to know how big a jar it takes to hold 4700 pennies. You should have taken a photo.

It was just two coffee cans. Heavy though.

Last edited:
It was just two coffee cans. Heavy though.

F collects change (mixed, not just pennies) in a 50-year-old mayonnaise jar that is slightly larger than today's mayonnaise jars. When it is filled, he takes it to the bank. Usually it holds about $125 or so in change. AMAZING! And what a nice errand to run. He loves getting the money from his change, because he uses it for fun stuff instead of for paying bills.

Me, I just count out exact change a lot to keep from having to do that. But the disadvantage of my method, is that I don't get a bonanza of unexpected money now and then from cashing in the change jar. His method is probably lots more fun than mine. :D

Last night I got both of our existing smartphones switched over to Consumer Cellular and will be saving $50/mo over our previous T-Mobile bill!

Doesn't Coinstar charge something like 9% for counting the pennies? Usurious!

Luckily, my local bank in MD has a similar machine in the lobby that does it for free. Between what I, my mom and in-laws, and DD had accumulated in change over a few decades I've hauled in and cashed out well over a couple of thousand dollars in the past year or so. All types of coins, not just pennies. I'd have gotten PO'd if I'd have had to pay 9% on that.

Mom and in-laws are gone now, but DD, DGD and I are all accumulating again. Hopefully they'll keep the machine for another few years.

About an hour (?) from Khan Country :)

Attachments

• IMG_7691.jpg
    IMG_7691.jpg
    1,006.8 KB · Views: 28
Doesn't Coinstar charge something like 9% for counting the pennies? Usurious!

My local credit union has a Coinstar machine that is free if you have an account there.

But I think most Coinstar machines let you bypass the fee by taking your money in a gift card.

About an hour (?) from Khan Country :)

You must be RV'in'. All right!

I have not been to Florida with an RV, but have read that it may be difficult to get a slot to park in the winter, at least down in Key West.

My local credit union has a Coinstar machine that is free if you have an account there.

But I think most Coinstar machines let you bypass the fee by taking your money in a gift card.
This is correct and one gift card choice is Amazon, which is essentially like cash for me.

Today is "stay out of the way" day at home so I took advantage to go see a film DW is not interested in viewing. Pride & Prejudice & Zombies. It was entertaining with a few laugh out loud moments and I thought they did a very good job of holding to the original story while credibly incorporating a zombie uprising. :)

Changed out our dreary February in the Northeast for warmer climes in Puerto Rico ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1455825995.015160.jpg

Ah! News to me, and probably an indication of how long it's been since I looked at one.

This is correct and one gift card choice is Amazon, which is essentially like cash for me.

Amazon would be a good choice. However, they aren't the same to me. An Amazon card would get used. The cash would go in my wallet along with the moths and dust bunnies.

Gym day and turned in some library books and picked up new ones. Made a donation of one book, Apex by Ramez Naam, the last in a trilogy. The library had the first two and I wanted to see how it ended. I thought they were good reads.

Will this winter ever end so we can go out more? Sigh.

Well, this has turned out to be a very boring day. The wind has been very strong. My electricity went off while I was outside trying to batten down some hatches. Called the electric company. There are a couple of guy out replacing power lines. A tree was blown over and took out the power lines. In the mean time, I don't have much to do. The only way I can get in my house is through the garage door and without power, it doesn't work. I had enough hand tools to change an inner tube for my wheelbarrow. I needed to get that done last summer. Its nice to have it done. Now I am just relaxing in the Ranch House because it has power and an internet connection. Hope they get the lines fixed pretty soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom