Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 05:26 PM   #381
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Cashed in my pennies at at local Coinstar for an Amazon credit - $47 worth. I can't remember why I collected them.
I am curious to know how big a jar it takes to hold 4700 pennies. You should have taken a photo.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2016, 05:33 PM   #382
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman59 View Post
Slept in, after lunch (late breakfast or early lunch?) fielded a call from "the US Treasury" telling me I owed $5k for my 2012 taxes and if I didn't pay up immediately, I would be arrested. They had my phone #, my address and my complete name. They didn't have any indication that I was married, and according to the caller, I had just ignored the numerous letters they sent to my home. When I asked for details on the return (I was the preparer and it is my return), he told me it was confidential! After about 10 minutes, I got bored with the call and hung up. I then proceeded to go to the IRS website and filled out the phishing alert form. Then spent an hour explaining to DW that I am NOT going to be arrested for failing to send these guys $5k+ via a prepaid credit card! Decided to work on the family's taxes and had a problem with my son's return. Finished the day with over an hour on chat then hold to find out that the best solution is to re-create his return and reenter all of the information .

Shouldn't have gotten out of bed!
Well, you are the Taxman!
Old 02-17-2016, 06:02 PM   #383
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Well, you are the Taxman!
That is why I let it go on for a bit. It was fun until I saw that DW was thinking it was real
Old 02-17-2016, 06:49 PM   #384
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman59 View Post
That is why I let it go on for a bit. It was fun until I saw that DW was thinking it was real
I'm surprised with all the publicity about the scam that your wife hadn't heard about it.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:02 PM   #385
Give me a forum ...

We had a low key day today. We went out to Red Robin for burgers for lunch and did a couple of errands. Last night we took the train into the city to see The Illusionists - Live from Broadway, a touring magic show.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 02-17-2016, 10:44 PM   #386
Give me a forum ...

Our low key days, which most of our days are, do not have us leaving the home except for a walk around the neighborhood. Or if I leave the home, it's to make a quick dash to Home Depot for material for my home DIY projects.

So, going out for lunch then seeing a show in the evening is not low key at all to me.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-18-2016, 12:30 AM   #387
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Our low key days, which most of our days are, do not have us leaving the home except for a walk around the neighborhood. Or if I leave the home, it's to make a quick dash to Home Depot for material for my home DIY projects.

So, going out for lunch then seeing a show in the evening is not low key at all to me.
Actually, we went to the show last night. Today we just went out for burgers and errands. But we probably do go out most days even if it just errands or a walk at a park.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 02-18-2016, 05:28 AM   #388
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I am curious to know how big a jar it takes to hold 4700 pennies. You should have taken a photo.

It was just two coffee cans. Heavy though.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:18 AM   #389
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It was just two coffee cans. Heavy though.
F collects change (mixed, not just pennies) in a 50-year-old mayonnaise jar that is slightly larger than today's mayonnaise jars. When it is filled, he takes it to the bank. Usually it holds about $125 or so in change. AMAZING! And what a nice errand to run. He loves getting the money from his change, because he uses it for fun stuff instead of for paying bills.

Me, I just count out exact change a lot to keep from having to do that. But the disadvantage of my method, is that I don't get a bonanza of unexpected money now and then from cashing in the change jar. His method is probably lots more fun than mine.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-18-2016, 08:31 AM   #390

Last night I got both of our existing smartphones switched over to Consumer Cellular and will be saving $50/mo over our previous T-Mobile bill!
Old 02-18-2016, 08:45 AM   #391
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Cashed in my pennies at at local Coinstar for an Amazon credit - $47 worth. I can't remember why I collected them.
Doesn't Coinstar charge something like 9% for counting the pennies? Usurious!

Luckily, my local bank in MD has a similar machine in the lobby that does it for free. Between what I, my mom and in-laws, and DD had accumulated in change over a few decades I've hauled in and cashed out well over a couple of thousand dollars in the past year or so. All types of coins, not just pennies. I'd have gotten PO'd if I'd have had to pay 9% on that.

Mom and in-laws are gone now, but DD, DGD and I are all accumulating again. Hopefully they'll keep the machine for another few years.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #392

About an hour (?) from Khan Country
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7691.jpg (1,006.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 02-18-2016, 09:26 AM   #393

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Doesn't Coinstar charge something like 9% for counting the pennies? Usurious!
My local credit union has a Coinstar machine that is free if you have an account there.

But I think most Coinstar machines let you bypass the fee by taking your money in a gift card.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #394
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
About an hour (?) from Khan Country
You must be RV'in'. All right!

I have not been to Florida with an RV, but have read that it may be difficult to get a slot to park in the winter, at least down in Key West.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:14 AM   #395
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
My local credit union has a Coinstar machine that is free if you have an account there.

But I think most Coinstar machines let you bypass the fee by taking your money in a gift card.
This is correct and one gift card choice is Amazon, which is essentially like cash for me.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:20 PM   #396
Administrator

Today is "stay out of the way" day at home so I took advantage to go see a film DW is not interested in viewing. Pride & Prejudice & Zombies. It was entertaining with a few laugh out loud moments and I thought they did a very good job of holding to the original story while credibly incorporating a zombie uprising.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
Old 02-18-2016, 01:06 PM   #397

Changed out our dreary February in the Northeast for warmer climes in Puerto Rico ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1455825995.015160.jpg
Old 02-18-2016, 01:08 PM   #398
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

Ah! News to me, and probably an indication of how long it's been since I looked at one.

Quote:
This is correct and one gift card choice is Amazon, which is essentially like cash for me.
Amazon would be a good choice. However, they aren't the same to me. An Amazon card would get used. The cash would go in my wallet along with the moths and dust bunnies.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:12 PM   #399

Gym day and turned in some library books and picked up new ones. Made a donation of one book, Apex by Ramez Naam, the last in a trilogy. The library had the first two and I wanted to see how it ended. I thought they were good reads.

Will this winter ever end so we can go out more? Sigh.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #400

Well, this has turned out to be a very boring day. The wind has been very strong. My electricity went off while I was outside trying to batten down some hatches. Called the electric company. There are a couple of guy out replacing power lines. A tree was blown over and took out the power lines. In the mean time, I don't have much to do. The only way I can get in my house is through the garage door and without power, it doesn't work. I had enough hand tools to change an inner tube for my wheelbarrow. I needed to get that done last summer. Its nice to have it done. Now I am just relaxing in the Ranch House because it has power and an internet connection. Hope they get the lines fixed pretty soon.
Closed Thread