Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 04:53 PM   #501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I doubt that I'll ever do that again but it's one more item off my bucket list.
Don't be ridiculous. Buckets are meant to be refilled.

Great Big 10lb. Chocolate Bar : Giant 10lb. Chocolate Bar from GreatBigStuff.com
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2016, 10:27 PM   #502
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
We got home from Puerto Rico last might, so I've been busy this morning doing laundry and getting groceries.

My daughters stalked my Amazon wish list to get me a birthday present. I had heard rave reviews of the Instant Pot, so put it on my wish list while I researched and decided if I wanted one. Well, one showed up on my doorstep the day before we left on vacation. I'm not sure I would've bought it for myself but since it's here I'll give it a try. I spent some time searching Pinterest for recipes while we were away. I just made macaroni and cheese in it, which we will have for dinner tonight with turkey drumsticks (also to be cooked in the IP).
The more you use your Instant Pot, the more you will love it. I use it 3-4 times a week, and have a batch of yogurt in now which will be done in the morning. If you are on Facebook, there are some good groups there for questions. recipes, and ideas.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:33 AM   #503
Recycles dryer sheets

Yesterday was the complete opposite of what I had planned. I was suppose to be heading out for a long weekend away with my girlfriends. Instead, I was up 1/2 the night before sick. Then DD woke up even sicker than me with strep. Poor DH took us both to the doctor yesterday, picked up our antibiotics, and cared for us all day/night. Then I ended up with a bout of food poisoning last night. Really hopeful that today is better for all of us, although DD is still really ill, I managed to eat breakfast and am feeling a bit better.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #504
Administrator

Just closed on DM's house. Whew.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #505

Sounds like a great reason for a really nice dinner out, MichaelB.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:36 AM   #506
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Just closed on DM's house. Whew.
Congratulations! It's got to be wonderful to be done with that task. That was fast! Or at least seemed fast from here.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 03-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #507

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

Great Big 10lb. Chocolate Bar : Giant 10lb. Chocolate Bar from GreatBigStuff.com
Oh. My. Gosh. Well, not being one to shirk from a challenge, I'll bookmark the site, and take it up later.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #508
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Did my ususal skating routine. Then at the coffee shop mused over the fact that it has been at least 50 years that I had any practical need for calculus or quadratic equation.

OTOH the view was magnificient.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:06 PM   #509
Administrator

Quote:
Sounds like a great reason for a really nice dinner out, MichaelB.
An excellent suggestion, which I will heed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Congratulations! It's got to be wonderful to be done with that task. That was fast! Or at least seemed fast from here.
It was fast. We were going to list in mid-Feb, but the last week of Jan she called and said " we need to list now". 5 weeks later it closed and the money is in the back. I'm both pleased and relieved.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:32 PM   #510

Those kinds of transactions, for me, don't seem to be weighing me down until after they're over, then, wow, a weight is lifted.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:27 AM   #511
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Finished the last of the five pound Hershey's chocolate bar that I bought in February.
I think my wife could give you a run for your money on this one, she is tiny but I am always surprised at how much chocolate she can pack into her tiny lil' frame.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:28 AM   #512
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have to make sure my wife never stumbles across this site!
Old 03-05-2016, 05:44 AM   #513
Administrator

This is where we get our chocolate. https://www.tazachocolate.com/ The Mexicano discs are the best ever. We usually order an entire case at a crack. We took a special trip to Boston to visit their factory, which is really cool. There is a short video on this page that shows the factory processes. https://www.tazachocolate.com/pages/our-process
Old 03-05-2016, 06:32 AM   #514

I was surprised to see that chocolate doesn't start off brown. These are getting a little brown, but when they are fresh, before any drying, they're almost white.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chocholate.JPG (124.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-05-2016, 08:06 AM   #515
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Skiied. Keeping fingers crossed for more snow next week!
Old 03-05-2016, 08:46 AM   #516
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
Skiied. Keeping fingers crossed for more snow next week!
Good luck and I hope it snows for you!

I am doing rain dances down here in Louisiana, hoping for vast quantities of gentle rain all through March since I just had six pallets of St. Augustine's sod put down earlier this week. Watering is a lot of work, and Mother Nature does a much better job of it.

We do have a good chance of rain predicted every day next week from Tuesday through Saturday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it really happens.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:47 AM   #517
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Good luck and I hope it snows for you!

I am doing rain dances down here in Louisiana, hoping for vast quantities of gentle rain all through March since I just had six pallets of St. Augustine's sod put down earlier this week. Watering is a lot of work, and Mother Nature does a much better job of it.

We do have a good chance of rain predicted every day next week from Tuesday through Saturday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it really happens.
Good luck. We've been in FL for 3 years (part time) now, and we've gotten everything in our yard looking pretty ship shape except the grass. We have St. Augustine (not sure what variety) in the front, and it looks like mierde. We've planted a number of other grasses (Bahia, Bahama), and they don't come up very well. Our front is very shady. We're putting down seed again this year, asun/shade mix of perennial rye, fescue, and something else I've forgotten. Hopefully by the time we leave (May) it will be coming up. We don't usually have to worry about water while we're gone, since it rains nearly every day in the summer. Plus we have irrigation. We'll see how it looks when we get back next year. If this doesn't work, we're going to try a shade variety of St. Augustine (sod). If that doesn't work, we're going with rock.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #518
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Good luck. We've been in FL for 3 years (part time) now, and we've gotten everything in our yard looking pretty ship shape except the grass. We have St. Augustine (not sure what variety) in the front, and it looks like mierde. We've planted a number of other grasses (Bahia, Bahama), and they don't come up very well. Our front is very shady. We're putting down seed again this year, asun/shade mix of perennial rye, fescue, and something else I've forgotten. Hopefully by the time we leave (May) it will be coming up. We don't usually have to worry about water while we're gone, since it rains nearly every day in the summer. Plus we have irrigation. We'll see how it looks when we get back next year. If this doesn't work, we're going to try a shade variety of St. Augustine (sod). If that doesn't work, we're going with rock.
It was simple for me to choose St. Augustine's. Every house that I have seen in my (60-100 year old) suburb has St. Augustine's, IIRC. In fact, the variety of St. Augustine's is named after my suburb, at least in local nurseries. It grows well here and doesn't need any watering (once it is established). Our annual rainfall is about 61", and that seems to be plenty.

But sod needs to be watered until it takes root. Earlier this week I had to buy three hoses and two sprinklers for watering the sod. I didn't own a hose or sprinkler before. OK, now I do.

It doesn't sound like St. Augustine's is well suited to your area, maybe? Or maybe you need to plant shade tolerant plants under your trees, if you think the shade is impeding its growth. Also I am thinking that maybe you can get some better ideas about the best grass varieties from looking around your area and talking to those with the best looking lawns.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that before the sod was laid down, I had some very fertile topsoil from the river delta trucked in and spread, and improved grading done. The river topsoil is standard procedure here, because the nice, black, fertile looking soil that is there naturally isn't a good base for a St. Augustine's lawn. The grading will encourage good drainage towards the street, which is helpful with so much rainfall.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:55 PM   #519
Recycles dryer sheets

I looked at the 15 day forecast and decided I could safely "summarize" the snow blower and tucked it away in the barn until next fall.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:01 PM   #520
Give me a forum ...

Today I spent several hours in the backyard trimming bushes, planting...ummm plants and spreading mulch.

DH is on a m/c trip and called me this afternoon to tell me about a new toy one of his m/c bud's has. He said I needed to go online and check it out. I did....I have to say I'm impressed with the look....

Polaris Slingshot : 3-Wheel Motorcycle - Reverse Trike

Of course if we get one of those, he'll need to sell his m/c so we'd have room for the new toy in the garage....and I don't think that's gonna happen.