Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 05:02 PM   #521
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Went to Home Depot, and saw that they had put out window ACs for sale. Darn, this winter seems so short.

Gave the motorhome its annual wash, and will be waxing it too. I need it to look "purdy" when I take it out on a trek next month.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2016, 05:04 PM   #522
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Today I spent several hours in the backyard trimming bushes, planting...ummm plants and spreading mulch.

DH is on a m/c trip and called me this afternoon to tell me about a new toy one of his m/c bud's has. He said I needed to go online and check it out. I did....I have to say I'm impressed with the look....

Polaris Slingshot : 3-Wheel Motorcycle - Reverse Trike

Of course if we get one of those, he'll need to sell his m/c so we'd have room for the new toy in the garage....and I don't think that's gonna happen.
With that trike pulling a small cargo trailer, maybe you will come along on future trips?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #523
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Today I spent several hours in the backyard trimming bushes, planting...ummm plants and spreading mulch.

DH is on a m/c trip and called me this afternoon to tell me about a new toy one of his m/c bud's has. He said I needed to go online and check it out. I did....I have to say I'm impressed with the look....

Polaris Slingshot : 3-Wheel Motorcycle - Reverse Trike

Of course if we get one of those, he'll need to sell his m/c so we'd have room for the new toy in the garage....and I don't think that's gonna happen.
We had looked at something like that for DW, although the one we tested was the Can Am Spyder (Can-Am Spyder: 3-Wheel Motorcycles for Touring, Sport-Touring, & Sport | Can-Am Spyder US). I think they were first with the design, but I'm not positive. But they're totally cool. And pretty much impossible to tip over, which is why DW was interested. We had never seen them before up in MD, even at Bike Week, but there are quite a few down here in SWFL.

I know they do have a rental place for the Polaris's down here Slingshot Rental Naples Florida – Adventure in Sunny Florida. I'd try one, but I don't want to remind her about how cool they are.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #524
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think I'm flunking "hermit". I had one day to work on the house this week. Today I went to lunch with friends from my home town out on the prairie. That was about 6 hours of driving and a nice lunch. Next week is getting booked up pretty quickly.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:10 PM   #525
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
With that trike pulling a small cargo trailer, maybe you will come along on future trips?
If I felt comfortable/safe and since I still have my helmet, sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
We had looked at something like that for DW, although the one we tested was the Can Am Spyder (Can-Am Spyder: 3-Wheel Motorcycles for Touring, Sport-Touring, & Sport | Can-Am Spyder US). I think they were first with the design, but I'm not positive. But they're totally cool. And pretty much impossible to tip over, which is why DW was interested. We had never seen them before up in MD, even at Bike Week, but there are quite a few down here in SWFL.

I know they do have a rental place for the Polaris's down here Slingshot Rental Naples Florida – Adventure in Sunny Florida. I'd try one, but I don't want to remind her about how cool they are.
Wow...thanks harley! I'll bookmark those sites for future reference. I'd definitely feel better about trying one out for a little while instead of just going around the block.

DH got a taste of what it's like to ride in one. The wife of a couple (in their 70's) let him ride with her. He said she had a lead foot...I think it freaked him out a little.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:34 PM   #526
Gone but not forgotten

I had a really strange encounter with Priceline today . I needed a rental car for next week & the rates were high so I decided to give Priceline a try . I bid $39 & was rejected so I bid $42 & was rejected . Last try was $46 & I was rejected but they offered me a car from Budget for $31 . I am still laughing about this !
Old 03-05-2016, 08:49 PM   #527
Give me a forum ...

Played golf this morning. Pretty day to do most anything. Spring is getting close.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:05 AM   #528
Full time employment: Posting here.

One of the things I love most about weekends in ER is no more weekend chores!

Yesterday, Saturday, I performed my usual two hour wake up over coffee and my Kindle HD, then spent almost three hours at the gym doing cardio and yoga. Lunch was spent at a restaurant with a room full of Lifelong Learning friends listening to a terrific jazz ensemble made up of a group of retirees now all in their 70's. Afterward we spent about two hours walking around and checking out the new shops and restaurants that have opened here in the last 12 months or so. Meandering about like this, is something we never, ever would have felt relaxed enough to do during our working years, a fact upon which my DH even commented.

We ended our afternoon jaunt-about with some free wine tasting at Total Wine, then spent the evening at home enjoying a terrifically smokey chipotle chili I made earlier in the day, followed by My Left Foot via Netflix.

Today, Sunday, I've spent the morning reviewing and doing Spanish homework. Now I'm off the gym for an hour, before cleaning up and heading out to lunch, followed by a live production of The Miracle Worker. Dinner will be at home - honey soy glazed salmon, brown rice and roasted asparagus.

The kids and grandkids arrive tomorrow, so we are enjoying our little weekend calm before the storm.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:21 AM   #529

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim747 View Post
I looked at the 15 day forecast and decided I could safely "summarize" the snow blower and tucked it away in the barn until next fall.
Around here that's practically an order for more snow even though in two days we're getting 70° weather. We've seen snow as late as mid-April so I don't dare put it away before then.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:49 AM   #530
Moderator Emeritus

Inspected front and back yard contemplating what needs to be done to kill the new crop of weeds, re-establish grass and trim trees. Now I just need to talk myself into getting going. Maybe next week.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:11 PM   #531

Here in St. Paul it is a balmy 60 degrees. But anything can happen through mid-Mary so no doubt there will be snow again, even lots of it.

I spent the weekend staining woodwork. It looks beautiful--completely renewed. Next, a nice coat of Danish oil.
Sunny California
Old 03-06-2016, 12:16 PM   #532

Sunny California

After last night's rain dropped almost 2 inches, the skies cleared and it is a beautiful day. The first Sunday of the month at our local airport is Open Hangar Day, so i took the little dog we are dog sitting with me to look at the airplanes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0301-110713.jpg (186.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 0102-121849.jpg (675.3 KB, 17 views)
Old 03-06-2016, 01:39 PM   #533
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
.........I took the little dog .......
Does the little dog wear a scarf and sit in the rear cockpit?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snoopy.jpg (18.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 03-06-2016, 01:53 PM   #534
Give me a forum ...

Old 03-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #535
Give me a forum ...

"The fence just came up and hit me, officer!"

Dog peers out of semi after smashing rig into tree, car | Fox News
Old 03-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #536
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Leader of the pack.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:48 PM   #537

I went and talked to a dealer about the 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT. He didn't need to talk about the car. I talked to the car and it was beautiful. I haven't signed yet....yet

There is no logical fiscal reason why I want to get this car...

Reminds me of my taste in women..lol
Old 03-07-2016, 07:38 AM   #538

I spent the morning taking care of emails and other tasks on the computer.

A while ago there was a post about how to find out how much you have spent at Amazon. I finally worked up the courage to run the report. It wasn't as bad as I anticipated -- roughly $13K since 1998. What was a little alarming is that I had almost 70 shipments in 2015....keeping that UPS driver busy!

I also just submitted a j*b application! It's with a whitewater rafting company that DH and I worked for 20+ years ago. It's very close to our vacation home, where I spend most of my time in the summer. The money is not much, but that's not the point. If I get the j*b as a rafting guide, it means I will get paid to spend my day on the river. There's also some fringe benefits such as free rides on the bike shuttle that the same company runs, so I could do some nice long rides on the rails-to-trails path without having to arrange drop off/pick up.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:55 AM   #539
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I went and talked to a dealer about the 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT. He didn't need to talk about the car. I talked to the car and it was beautiful. I haven't signed yet....yet

There is no logical fiscal reason why I want to get this car...

Reminds me of my taste in women..lol
I just went and looked at photos of that car on Edmunds dot com. It leaves me cold, doesn't do a thing for me. Blech. If you gave me one, I'd sell it without even going on a test drive.

So, my conclusion is that you truly must want this car if it looks so beautiful to you! You should most definitely consider it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 03-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #540
Give me a forum ...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Closed Thread