Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #821
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Main reason was the fitness tracking capabilities built into it, and I'm happy to report that I really like it.

I've never worn a watch, but lately I've been thinking of getting an Apple Watch for fitness/health tracking.

I take it that four days later you're still happy with it? Any specials app/features that you like best?

I've been looking at this market segment for about a year and tend to lean toward devices with longer battery life. I'd like to monitor sleep patterns too and having to charge the watch overnight would be limiting. But overall I think the watch would be funner to use than a dedicated device and I'm curious to hear other people's experiences.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2016, 11:38 AM   #822

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
They are very hard working, but in low paying jobs. She hadn't slept in 2 days with worry about him.
What a nightmare to have to deal with! Hope it turns out as well as possible given all the other issues to deal with.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #823
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Yesterday was busy. Walked the dog on the beach, was pleased to see that the upwelling of sand is starting to happen. There was more beach erosion this year than I've seen, ever... and the sand is starting to return. Yay.

Got home to an email from my stepmom... she needed a ride to see her son in the hospital. He'd apparently had a series of small heart attacks and was admitted on Tuesday - Wed. he had a 2 stents placed. I drove stepmom and her daughter (who has a freeway phobia). He's in pain - but had good color. His sister is listed as emergency contact/etc so she had a boatload of paperwork. His girlfriend (who's also our piano teacher) was a wreck. I'll be helping out staying with step brother so that his girlfriend can go to her gigs. They have NO income coming in while he recovers unless she works. And the insurance will not be covering a lot of this. My stepbrother and his girlfriend live very much on the edge of broke... so this is a problem. They are very hard working, but in low paying jobs. She hadn't slept in 2 days with worry about him.

I delivered them home in time to head back out to get the kids - it was pouring rain during all of this so driving was less fun than normal.

In small patches in between all of this I was studying for my Italian test I have on Monday.
Oh my, rodi! I am so sorry to read about this situation. That is so nice of you to stay with your step brother so that his girlfriend can continue to work. What a difficult turn of events. Best wishes to your entire family and hoping for a quick and lasting recovery of your step brother.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-08-2016, 12:20 PM   #824

Thanks Walt and W2R. He's out of the ICU - so that's the good news. And they took out the port that was in his groin.

He's hoping to go home in a few days. He's also worried about the bills and wants to get back to work. He works 6 days a week, 9 hours a day... so the missing pay is worrying him.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:17 PM   #825

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
I take it that four days later you're still happy with it? Any specials app/features that you like best?

Yes, the more I use it the better I like it. The oh-so-gentle nudge on the wrist is amazing. Barely noticeable but effective. And simply raising your wrist to look at the watch lets you do cool things like say "Hey Siri, remind me to ..."

It also does a great job of helping me stay on track with my fitness goals in a non-nagging way.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-08-2016, 06:22 PM   #826

After yet another price rise and after the bait and switch they pulled on me last August,I finally cut all ties with (boo, hiss) Centurylink. I've ported my landline phone to my cellphone, so for the first time ever I will have no landline. Why is there a small bit of sentiment attached to a landline that I feel? It must be a generational thing. I feel a bit like the emptiness of someone suddenly gone from my life. Odd. And now I'm also left with no Internet service at home so I guess I'll go crawling back to Comcast, who I also despise, just for internet service. My cable through DirectTv has a few more months of low prices before that, too, jumps up. At that point I'll need to decide whether to cut the cable. Baby steps. But at least my current nemesis, Centurylink, is TOAST. By the way I've been with them for 30 years (partly in their previous incarnation USWest/MaBell) and they didn't even ask me why I was leaving or attempt to talk me out of it. So much for customer service these days. I have decided that I would rather do without than deal with such companies. The only really horrible thing is the choice here is between only two terrible providers.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:14 PM   #827
Give me a forum ...

Good for you, Marita40!! I dropped my landline last summer and although AT&T tried for a half hour to persuade me to stay, they never offered any reduction at all in monthly charges.

By now I feel pretty secure about having only a cell phone. Be sure to keep your cell phone charged. I love having the extra money that I was paying for my landline and I think you will too.

What did I do today? We went to the gym and I did entirely too much there. The gym was hot and that made a hard workout pretty exhausting, too. Every muscle in my body hurts. You know, the "good hurt", but owww. So, tonight I am resting and sipping water. I'll feel much more lively tomorrow.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-08-2016, 11:08 PM   #828
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
My mom had quadruple heart bypass yesterday so am sitting in the hospital with her.

After losing my dad in January I was quite surprised when I got a phone call last Monday that mom was in the hospital and would be having bypass on Wednesday in Dallas.

At 74 she has smoked all her life, had 2 heart attacks and 2 strokes yet we can't get her to stop smoking. Her surgery was more than 24 hours ago and she's still not alert but her surgeon isn't concerned. Said her recovery is slow but positive.

I took a picture of her while she was on the ventilator with the chest wound showing (she was not conscious). I'm having the picture framed and giving it to her a month or so after she gets out which is about the time she'll want her first cigarette. Probably sounds like tough love but I need her to see what she looked like so that maybe she'll put down that cigarette!

Sorry to hear about your mom but good to hear that the surgery went well. The hardest is the first week of quitting and the rest is so much easier so if she can get off cigarettes while she is in the hospital, the worst is already over as far as nicotine withdrawals are concerned. I wish you could somehow convey that to her. There is a chart on the internet you could print out that shows daily/weekly/monthly/yearly physiological changes that take place healthy wise from the last puff of smoke. You may want to show it to her in a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-08-2016, 11:44 PM   #829
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My mom had quadruple heart bypass yesterday so am sitting in the hospital with her.

After losing my dad in January I was quite surprised when I got a phone call last Monday that mom was in the hospital and would be having bypass on Wednesday in Dallas.

At 74 she has smoked all her life, had 2 heart attacks and 2 strokes yet we can't get her to stop smoking. Her surgery was more than 24 hours ago and she's still not alert but her surgeon isn't concerned. Said her recovery is slow but positive.

I took a picture of her while she was on the ventilator with the chest wound showing (she was not conscious). I'm having the picture framed and giving it to her a month or so after she gets out which is about the time she'll want her first cigarette. Probably sounds like tough love but I need her to see what she looked like so that maybe she'll put down that cigarette!
Your mother is addicted to smoking. So was my mother. When faced with a total aortofemoral replacement, she managed to quit temporarily, but within six weeks of surgery she was sneaking cigarettes behind the woodshed. Within a few weeks she was again smoking like a chimney. She lived for another decade, by which time her new blood vessels were clogging up and she had developed lung cancer and heart failure. She was a very intelligent and well informed woman, but she was addicted and incapable of quitting long term.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:14 AM   #830
Recycles dryer sheets

Just got back from Augusta, Ga. Went to the first two rounds of the Masters. It was a real splurge for me but that's one less thing on the bucket list
Old 04-09-2016, 04:31 AM   #831

Quote:

Lisa99, Some people can't or won't quit. Taking a picture of her while she was unconscious to show it to her later it's going to make her quit if she's not ready. You could even make her angry. Enjoy your mother while you have her.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:45 AM   #832
Give me a forum ...

Ugh. Started laundry at my hotel because I am working through the weekend at a customer 660 miles from home. I was supposed to return home yesterday and ran out of clean clothes. A big reason why I am less than a year from RE.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:11 AM   #833

Quote:

We are sending healing prayers to your mother. My wife was a smoker, but a serious lung infection hospitalized for 3 days in a hellhole in NY. That was a wake up call for her. She has switched to e-cigs and uses them quite a bit less.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:57 AM   #834
Give me a forum ...

I woke up early, went over my tax return one last time, then hit "e-File". The return went through, showing that no scumbag has stolen my identity. The IRS will get the tax due from my checking account, and I have made sure to put more money there to cover it. Life is good.

We will have some friends over for lunch today. Then, my son, daughter and son-in-law will join us for dinner. I will make Chicken Cacciatore, served with a bottle of Pinot Grigio. See photo from the Web. What it misses is some basil leaves sprinkled on top, and I do have an abundance of basil from the garden.

Have I said that life is good?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-09-2016, 09:58 AM   #835
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I woke up early, went over my tax return one last time, then hit "e-File". The return went through, showing that no scumbag has stolen my identity. The IRS will get the tax due from my checking account, and I have made sure to put more money there to cover it. Life is good.

We will have some friends over for lunch today. Then, my son, daughter and son-in-law will join us for dinner. I will make Chicken Cacciatore, served with a bottle of Pinot Grigio. See photo from the Web. What it misses is some basil leaves sprinkled on top, and I do have an abundance of basil from the garden.

Have I said that life is good?

It's a good feeling when you see "your return has been accepted"...how about a picture of the finished product so we can see how closely you match the web photo..my dishes never live up to the pictures
Old 04-09-2016, 01:26 PM   #836

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
..my dishes never live up to the pictures
There is an art unto itself for food photography. There are people who are full time food stylists for restaurants and food manufacturers, which is one reason why you'll never get a Big Mac that looks like the one in the picture. But there are some things you can do - search on "food photography tips" or some such and you'll get lots of links like this, picked at random:

11 Quick Food Photography Tips to Make Mouth Watering Images - Digital Photography School

From the little I've done, seconds matter because of rapid evaporation. Have your camera and lighting all set up before cooking. When it comes out of the oven or pan photograph it immediately, or if cold, the same applies but time is only a bit less critical, but then you may run into issues of condensation.

Nothing is simple... <sigh>
Old 04-09-2016, 10:37 PM   #837
Give me a forum ...

It's been a busy day, and I just now got back to this forum. I did not think of taking a photo, and the whole pot was gone. I made plenty and had 3 pieces of chicken left, but my son and my son-in-law asked to take them home, so I do not have any left (we are heading out on our RV trek tomorrow and do not want to keep any left-over).

About food photography, yes my photos often do not look that good (I only have a pocket camera and have no experience like others here on this forum). However, most of the dishes I have made were well received by my guests. Cooking is a lot of fun, and I enjoy cooking for the family. I routinely host family parties for up to 30.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-10-2016, 12:12 AM   #838

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Your mother is addicted to smoking. So was my mother. When faced with a total aortofemoral replacement, she managed to quit temporarily, but within six weeks of surgery she was sneaking cigarettes behind the woodshed. Within a few weeks she was again smoking like a chimney. She lived for another decade, by which time her new blood vessels were clogging up and she had developed lung cancer and heart failure. She was a very intelligent and well informed woman, but she was addicted and incapable of quitting long term.
I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I don't understand the addiction but have read that's it's harder to stop smoking than using heroin (or maybe Cocaine I don't remember which).

The body has an amazing ability to forget pain so I don't expect her to quit; it's really just wishful thinking.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:02 AM   #839

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
SNIP "your return has been accepted"...how about a picture of the finished product so we can see SNIP
Am I the only one who gets lots of chuckles from this forum even when nothing funny was being attempted?
Old 04-10-2016, 08:03 AM   #840
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I don't understand the addiction but have read that's it's harder to stop smoking than using heroin (or maybe Cocaine I don't remember which).

The body has an amazing ability to forget pain so I don't expect her to quit; it's really just wishful thinking.
Lisa, I'm not trying to be hard hearted about this, but at your mom's age and condition, it might even be cruel to try to make her stop. Whatever damage the cigarettes are going to do has already been done, and living out her last weeks/months/years trying to fight that addiction would be miserable. I've seen it a couple of times with my in-laws, and with all that goes on during surgeries and treatments and such, trying to stop smoking is just a lot of added trauma. It would be different if she was going to recover and have many years of additional life. Then stopping could add to her quality of life.

DW and I don't smoke, and we despised the fact that smoking took her parents so relatively young. But after watching them battle both the cancer and the forced (by the doctors) attempts to stop smoking, I don't think it was the right thing to do. Especially since it didn't work. They would both smoke whenever they got the opportunity to do so.

JMO. I'm sorry your mom and your family are going through this. Good luck.
Closed Thread