Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 05:31 PM   #901
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Actually on Fri, spent the day trimming some trees around my property. Created about 3 cu yards of green waste, as packed down in my utility trailer. I also have some of the bigger branches that I will cut down for firewood size. It was free green waste dumping at the local transfer station dump facility, so I filled my trailer and made 2 trips to get rid of it all for free. On final trip I also had them load the trailer with about 2 cu yards of the mulch they make from the green waste. The mulch is free, but they charge $5 for the big loader to load it onto your truck or trailer. *Well* worth the $5 fee! It is still a lot of work to then get it out of the trailer and spread out at my house.

The mulch is not that great, but nice for under parking areas and walking areas to keep from being muddy. It is mostly sticks and wood. Not nice bark mulch or similar, but that type is much higher cost than this free mulch.

Therefore I spent Sat not doing as much physical work. Finished up a trust tax return I am trustee for, and ran some errands with my wife. Had a nice fire since it turned cold and overcast. Few flurries and some rain, but nothing like north of me in CO.

Today was more cold and overcast weather, so no outside work. Went to church in morning, one stop for shopping few items, and then stayed inside rest of the day. Built another fire and took time to get all the tax stuff filed away and some additional clean-up inside the house. The fire is also my "shredder" to get rid of papers with personal info I don't want in the trash.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 05:39 PM   #902

A major snow storm yesterday. I had a meeting to attend in Colorado Springs so I headed down the mountain 2.5 hours prior. The visibility was very poor and I had to stop and clear the snow off the windshield every mile or two for one stretch. Got to the meeting a few minutes late, but all went well. The drive home wasn't as bad but the snow continued and did not stop until this afternoon. The wind was pretty bad and a tree fell and took out the electricity so it was a cold night in the motor home. I spent today plowing snow and digging the plow truck out when it got stuck. We wound up with 2 to 2.5 feet of snow. I finished the day getting the plow truck stuck on a steep hill that had about 4 feet of snow on it. It will stay there for a while. We got electricity back about 3:00 this afternoon so all is well. Its nice to have a warm place to stay at the end of a long day.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:44 PM   #903
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Split wood with vedge and sledge hammer. Stacked same, mowed lawn. Made big bonfire from a bunch of dried branches.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:21 PM   #904

Hermit, I can't imagine having to dig out equipment as many times as you have to. Hope you get a Spring thaw soon.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:38 PM   #905

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
We are currently RVing on a bluff overlooking the ocean in Malibu, and spent yesterday hiking high in the Santa Monica Mountains. It was a glorious day, with temps in the low 80's. After returning and cleaning up we enjoyed libations and appetizers with friends while gazing out at the sea in hopes of spotting whales. Dinner was grilled on the BBQ, and after more conversation we turned in and slept like the dead.
Awe-some.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:06 PM   #906
Give me a forum ...

This weekend we saw a play, the Great Gatsby, went out for a mimosa brunch and took the dog for a hike at a Redwood park. Yesterday I went to a library book sale, donated 2 bags of books and bought 2 new to me bags of books.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 04-17-2016, 08:57 PM   #907
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Hermit, I can't imagine having to dig out equipment as many times as you have to. ....
No need to dig it out if you are patient enough....

Even though we have one more day's ski pass to use, there is no way I would want 2 1/2 feet of snow at this point.

Played front nine at our country club with DW this afternoon... first outing at my home course this year. Good tune up.... playing with friends tomorrow morning.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-17-2016, 10:03 PM   #908
Full time employment: Posting here.

Enjoyed breakfast overlooking the ocean before packing up the RV and heading home. It was a glorious trip/long weekend with over 20 miles of hiking, two whale sightings and one fish n chips extravaganza.

After unpacking back at the house, got cleaned up for a wine event at an organization we belong to. Oh boy was that fun. :-)

Finished the day with a pesto pasta dinner and the DVD Brooklyn.

The chores can wait until Monday!
Old 04-18-2016, 12:58 AM   #909

DW's first day of gardening leave after being made redundant.

She spent half the day on a partial clean up of the study and the store room and I was volunteered to assist. In spite of several boxes going to either charity or the recycling/rubbish bins, I ended up with less space allocated for my use than I had before she started.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:30 PM   #910
Administrator

Went to the Ophthalmologist. That's a 2 1/2 hour visit. First time with this Doc, and I like him - think I'll stay on.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:52 PM   #911
Give me a forum ...

We are now up in Montana, in a timeshare condo not too far from the West entrance to Glacier National Park. The famed "Going to the Sun" road is not cleared of snow until June, so going for some trail hikes is all we can do this time, and taking some photos like this one at Lake McDonald.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-18-2016, 04:53 PM   #912

Went over to SIL's with DW and I got to meet the new grandnephew for the first time. When he was born I was in the hospital or recovering from the aftermath and DW's niece drove near here to visit with her mom. I left early because I still get tired sooner than normal (I'm assured this gets better) but it was nice to see the folks.

This is the new grandnephew being held by DW:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tycho_James-1.jpg (89.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Tycho_James-2.jpg (104.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Tycho_James-3.jpg (136.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 04-18-2016, 04:58 PM   #913
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
We are now up in Montana, in a timeshare condo not too far from the West entrance to Glacier National Park. The famed "Going to the Sun" road is not cleared of snow until June, so going for some trail hikes is all we can do this time, and taking some photos like this one at Lake McDonald.
Wow! You aren't NW-Bound any more; you're NW-There! Beautiful scenery. Have a great time.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-18-2016, 04:59 PM   #914
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Aw! Now that's an adorable baby!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-18-2016, 05:39 PM   #915
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Awesome photo! and looks like great hiking territory.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:19 AM   #916

NW Bound, That's a beautiful shot.

Walt, Glad you continue to improve and pretty baby.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:47 PM   #917

I just had to share this. DW bought a pair of shoes and when I looked at the label on the box, I noticed that the materials they were made from included "faux synthetics."

That just opens up such a world of possibilities ...
Old 04-19-2016, 01:08 PM   #918
Give me a forum ...

What's this world coming to when even the fakes are fake...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 04-19-2016, 04:15 PM   #919

Took Skittles to his first dog training class. He has to pass "Dog Manners I" before he can be trained and certified as a therapy dog. Good news is that he was by far the chillest dog in the class. Bad news is that walking on a loose lead doesn't come naturally to a dog that is in the habit of sniffing and marking at least 100 times during a 2-mile walk.

Went to the optometrist and found out that I am no longer nearsighted in my right eye (although it still has major astigmatism so I still need my contacts). Removing that correction seems to help with my near vision, at least in the 4 hours I've had a trial contact of the new prescription in. Yippee!

Found that edX has an intro music theory class that just started and decided to finally learn intervals, chords, and harmonies. I'm fine with scales from my years of piano and clarinet, but now that choral singing is my major musical outlet, it will be nice to have more of the theory down. Did the first lesson and just need to finish up the homework assignment.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:18 PM   #920
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Went over to SIL's with DW and I got to meet the new grandnephew for the first time. When he was born I was in the hospital or recovering from the aftermath and DW's niece drove near here to visit with her mom. I left early because I still get tired sooner than normal (I'm assured this gets better) but it was nice to see the folks.

Beautiful
Closed Thread