Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 03:32 PM   #1101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Your wife is absolutely right. You've got to get the carpet out of there. Who knows what cruddy things settle below all that fiber?

And if you have a carpeted stair, well, that's got to go too as it has more traffic than the floor areas.

PS. You can justify a new macro lens to photo all that "stuff" beneath the carpet.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2016, 03:34 PM   #1102

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
And if you have a carpeted stair, well, that's got to go too as it has more traffic than the floor areas.
Being the clumsy oaf I am, uncarpeted stairs would NOT be a good idea in this home!
Old 05-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #1103
Give me a forum ...

And you still ski?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #1104

Quote:
And you still ski?
Yes, but not especially well.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:03 PM   #1105
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Will you post a selfie during the operation?

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1463180548.461691.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1463180566.994176.jpg
As requested best I could do just before and during

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-13-2016, 05:36 PM   #1106
Give me a forum ...

Ask and you shall receive.

What did you do today? 2016 version
Old 05-13-2016, 05:47 PM   #1107
Recycles dryer sheets

What did you do today? 2016 version

Quote:
Ask and you shall receive.

Yea It was a great time. I whip out the camera and the doc says are you 16? No, some guy on the net wants a picture of this. ;0)

Old 05-13-2016, 06:58 PM   #1108
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backdraft57 View Post
Attachment 23866
Attachment 23867
As requested best I could do just before and during

I can't begin to tell you how much I love that you actually posted these. You rock!
Old 05-13-2016, 07:08 PM   #1109
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

B-25 flight

Today I climbed into another B-25, and we met up in formation with a P-51 and another b-25 on the way to Santa Barbara. On the way back to our home airport, I flew the bomber for almost an hour. It was an experience!!
P.S. I had the picture of me taken in the hangar afterwards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5882.jpg (270.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5811.jpg (456.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 05-13-2016, 07:30 PM   #1110
Give me a forum ...

Sucked cobwebs and dirt off the ceiling with the shop vac in preparation for painting.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:33 PM   #1111
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Today I climbed into another B-25, and we met up in formation with a P-51 and another b-25 on the way to Santa Barbara. On the way back to our home airport, I flew the bomber for almost an hour. It was an experience!!
P.S. I had the picture of me taken in the hangar afterwards

Very cool.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:41 PM   #1112
Give me a forum ...

I spent 2 hours this morning fixing the back door of a friend's rental property...they just bought the place (no one lives there yet) and someone kicked in the back door to rob the place, but it was completely empty except for a few tools and paint cans, which they didn't take.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:26 PM   #1113
Give me a forum ...

Went for a walk with DW and stopped to visit a friend who is having some construction done and checked out their project. Cleaned out the gutters and put leaf guards in place. Talked with another friend about changes in the flood maps for our area and some neighboring properties that are affected by the changes (including his, but not ours).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 05-15-2016, 02:44 AM   #1114
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had a yard sale with my nextdoor neighbor. These were either things that I could not sell on eBay or craigslist or unwanted household items. It was a lot more work than I anticipated, lugging things out of storage, even with putting same-price items in a plastic bin so you didn't have to tag everything.

It ended up being fun and I got rid of everything except about half of the glassware/china which you cannot give away. I met some very lovely people - demographics were +50, or 30's looking for retro stuff, or what looked like low income. Had a few dealers come at the very beginning. Fortunately one of them was into glassware/china and bought a lot, but I already knew the approximate value of everything so I didn't feel afraid that I was letting some valuable treasure go. My yard sale point is anything that will go for less than $12 on eBay.

My neighbor, who does this 3 or more times a year, set the hours as 8am - 3pm. During that time I kept marking down stuff I would have to lug to a donation place. Eventually it all sold. Cleanup, still ongoing, is much easier than setup.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:16 AM   #1115
Give me a forum ...

Yes, as I tell DW, the objective is to get rid of the stuff... not to maximize profit.... so I price things attractively.

Old 05-15-2016, 07:51 AM   #1116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
My neighbor, who does this 3 or more times a year, set the hours as 8am - 3pm. During that time I kept marking down stuff I would have to lug to a donation place. Eventually it all sold. Cleanup, still ongoing, is much easier than setup.
One of my friends has a combined garage sale with the neighbors on both sides twice a year. I never have enough stuff to warrant my own garage sale, so I give him my stuff and he sells it for me and takes a cut.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:56 AM   #1117
Administrator

DW and I went for our TSA Global Entry interviews yesterday. Got both confirmation emails last night!
Old 05-15-2016, 09:20 AM   #1118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Yes, as I tell DW, the objective is to get rid of the stuff... not to maximize profit.... so I price things attractively.

Goodwill. Even though I'm FIREd and also a cheap bastard, haggling over a ratty t-shirt or beat-up lamp is not how I want to spend my day...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 05-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #1119
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Goodwill. Even though I'm FIREd and also a cheap bastard, haggling over a ratty t-shirt or beat-up lamp is not how I want to spend my day...
+1

Plus, you have to pay for a permit in advance to have a garage sale here, and they aren't cheap. They enforce that, too. If the weather isn't good, too bad.

Furniture goes to Salvation Army (because they will send a truck and two strong men to get it). Smaller stuff goes to Goodwill.

Every now and then we make a Goodwill run with our donations. First we go over what the other is donating to see if we want it ourselves. Most of the stuff we put together isn't worth the powder to blow it up so we make a dump run too almost every time.

Oh - - this is the "what did you do today" thread. Oops. Well, basically we haven't been doing much and I like the freedom of our rather loosely organized retirement. Usually we get together to split a light restaurant lunch, then go on a pleasure drive, run errands, maybe go to the gym, and enjoy time together at home. That is what we did yesterday, minus the gym.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-15-2016, 10:36 AM   #1120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I agree with you... not with the effort. I would just give the stuff to Goodwill or Salvation Army, but DW prefers to have a garage sale every so often and I encourage her to price things cheap so that they go and there is less stuff for me to take to Goodwill or Salvation Army later.

Closed Thread