What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did lightly hit with the side of my head, no bruising there. As you may recall I'm on meds to reduce blood clotting so it doesn't take much to cause a bruise. Lots of times I'll find a bruise and have no idea what I hit to cause it.

No, I didn't go to the ER and at this point it has been almost 24 hours so if there were going to be any problems they would have shown up by now I'd think. But I and DW are keeping a watch for anything out of the ordinary.

Be aware that chronic subdural hematoma can develop slowly, over weeks or months, after a minor head injury. Ask DW to watch out for any signs of confusion, and if you develop confusion or headaches, have a CT scan.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subdural_hematoma

I restarted the effort to rearrange the spare room upstairs. Prior to taking the annual RV trek, I finished pulling the last carpet in the home, laid down laminate flooring in the last rooms, and did the stairs in oak.

Now, I need to put things where they should be permanently. My electronics hobby room is the toughest, because I have a lot of "stuff". It is a bit overwhelming now, as I have been off the mode for a while. Surfin' the Web and BS'ing here on the forum is more fun.

I need to get this done. Maybe y'all will see me less here for a while.

And then, the plan is to spend part of the summer doing the big deck in the high-country home. And there's a trip coming that's pre-planned. Man, can one be too busy in retirement?

Last edited:
Yesterday I spent 4.5 hours in the dentist chair getting 3 crowns. It was only supposed to take 3 hours but all 3 crowns had to be remade due to technical issues. Didn't realize how much it wiped me out until I woke up from my 20-minute nap almost two hours later.

Today I'm at the RV repair shop getting a couple of things fixed. It took over a month to get the appointment - definite business opportunity. I've been here 3 hours and they said it might be all day. I'd go out for a walk but it's been pouring rain the whole time. Catching up on a pile of magazines.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Closed on the sale of a home in Florida. Mixed feelings, at least until I get back to the condo on the beach we bought in March!

Enjoying life!

Some years ago, I observed that when my parents met with their friends, much of the talk revolved around exchanging stories of health problems, maladies, and treatments.

Darn, us geezers on this forum sound the same. There's no escaping the law of nature, is there?

Some years ago, I observed that when my parents met with their friends, much of the talk revolved around exchanging stories of health problems, maladies, and treatments.

Darn, us geezers on this forum sound the same. There's no escaping the law of nature, is there?

That's for sure. I've noticed that about myself a lot recently. I'm making it my mid-year resolution to STHU about these things. When I die I want everybody to say "but he was so healthy! Never a complaint." If I was to die now, they'd say "I'm surprised he lasted this long!"

My mother is quite vocal about her conditions. My mother-in-law who is older, nowhere as much. And my mother is in much better shape than my MIL, being also younger.

I am tempted to exaggerate my ailments every time I see my mother, so that she knows I am having problems too. :)

Wow, that sounds brutal. I think I spent two hours in the chair once and felt like I'd run a marathon.

+1

I have been having a lot of dental work lately (3 implants, a root canal, numerous cavities, :eek:). But gosh, I don't think I have spent more than an hour in the chair any of those times. I think 4.5 hours would do me in, for sure.

Not only that, but paying for 3 crowns all at once? :banghead: Not the most relaxing of experiences at all. My sympathies. :-\

SIL arrived today for visit. I am doomed, outnumbered, two women in the house.

Thankfully, I don't have anything beyond the usual aches and pains that come with aging, and, therefore, don't have much to complain about. But I'm sure that chronic pain, chemo/radiation, or some other issue that required multiple, side-effect-inducing medications, and frequent doctor visits, would likely bring out the curmudgeon-on-steroids...

Got two new R/C helicopters in today (one was scheduled for tomorrow). The Blade 230 is much too large to even think about flying inside - took that out in the back yard with very light winds, took off and hovered it for a minute or so and brought it back down. My ability to control it is marginal at best so that will wait until I have better skills.

By then I had a battery charged for the Blade Nano, a palm-sized helicopter that will literally fit in your palm. How they get all the electronics that small and still retail it at an affordable price is beyond me. Anyway, I had two or three successful but short flights in the family room and decided to try out this "Panic Mode" that is supposed to hold it in a level hover while the pilot collects his/her wits. Pressing that button sent it climbing and moving to the left and by the time I'd about recovered it hit the vertical blinds and damaged (I think) the control board when it hit the floor. All the servos work but they don't follow commands.

I'm going to send it in for repair. The repair rate is $40/hour in 15 minute increments and I doubt it'll take more than a half hour for someone with the right tools and experience, which I don't have, to repair it. To buy a new one is a bit over $100.

Oh well, that's how we learn....

Edit to add: After making this post I thought "Maybe there is a youtube video on this" and there was! Remove the connectors and two screws, I'm pretty sure I can do that so I'll just order the main board.

Last edited:
Paid bills online and by check, paid property taxes at the bank, ordered a wedding gift, ran the big car through state emission check, got a new windshield installed. Meanwhile nonengineer and extremely unhandy DH "supervised" $$ emergency sewer line replacement while I was otherwise engaged. Much surreptitious winking by head guy at me before I took off as DH repeated the issues head guy already knew about from the guy who was here yesterday. What's that old price list where the cost goes up if the homeowner "helps"?

Thankfully, I don't have anything beyond the usual aches and pains that come with aging, and, therefore, don't have much to complain about. But I'm sure that chronic pain, chemo/radiation, or some other issue that required multiple, side-effect-inducing medications, and frequent doctor visits, would likely bring out the curmudgeon-on-steroids...
The ailments my mother has are nothing unusual for someone in her 80s. It could not be that bad, for her to be able to dress up and to go out of the house every day to go window shopping. Yes, every single day, as she is an extrovert.

My siblings are all in town, see her often, and we have told each other just to keep silent when she describes in details each of her problems for the 20th time. :)

By the way, when we are old, pain becomes a normal thing, and we should get used to it. As George Burns said,

"You know you are old when everything hurts. What does not hurt does not work" -- George Burns

Last edited:
It's 4:30. How did I ever have time to work?

Started my day by watching the two-year-old so my son could go to his post-op appointment. Then I did their dishes while playing with him. Then they got back and I went home, pick up my grandson, took him back to my son's house so that he could study for his Statistics final tomorrow. Went down to Concord PD and got my Clipper card. Really nice cop down there. Then it went to the store and I got one anniversary present, ran out of time had to go back and get my grandson. Dropped him off at Bart so he could get back to the dorms at state, went back to the store, and picked up one birthday present. I'm still short two birthday presents. Wrapped 1 birthday, 1 anniversary, & 2 wedding presents.

It's now 4:30 and I finally get to have my lunchtime cup of coffee!

Got our Global Entry cards in the mail today, one week after the interview. :dance:

I'm sitting in my back porch(or California room) basking in the glory of a sunny day in Southern Cal for a change. It has been gloomy the whole week. I'm procrastinating in packing for my trip next week. I had a good 2 hours massage and my hair dyed and cut yesterday. I should look younger because the gray hair is no longer there, it's been replaced or highlighted with blond hair now. Ready to impress my relatives and friends in Europe.

Bought a new Honda - pressure washer. Then went crazy power washing the deck, landscaping outcropping stone, deck furniture. Hooked it up to the sprinkler system for extra volume. Finished a table top for my SIL's "she shed".

Paddled a kayak down a stretch of the Tioughnioga river. The water is to shallow and got hung up in the rocks a few times but worth the effort. Saw two bald eagles in flight along with a nesting pair. Also paddled through a swarm of swallows that were feeding on a hatch of mayflies, pretty cool!

Paddled a kayak down a stretch of the Tioughnioga river. The water is to shallow and got hung up in the rocks a few times but worth the effort. Saw two bald eagles in flight along with a nesting pair. Also paddled through a swarm of swallows that were feeding on a hatch of mayflies, pretty cool!

Forgot to add photo ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1463878189.288229.jpg

What did I do today? Well it's morning here in Alba, Italy. Arrived Wednesday morning and started rehearsals Wednesday afternoon. The music festival kicked off Friday night. Concerts are at 5:30 PM and 9 PM.

Instantly made new friends in our flute choir. We'll do pictures in our concert attire next weekend.

Meanwhile...walking 3-5 miles/day. Practicing or rehearsing 2-4 hr per day. Our practice room is a beautiful wood floored room on the second floor of the tiny college campus.

Got myself a sinus infection from the flight. Tried to get Flonase..needs a prescription here. Saline nose wash...10 Euros. No thanks. I got some rest last night by skipping the concert.

3 concerts today; 2 rehearsals. No time for dinner but I'm really happy.

Here are some pictures. The last one is the view from our practice room.ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1463903892.903321.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1463903931.605011.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1463903984.644544.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1463904015.882156.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

What did I do today? Well it's morning here in Alba, Italy. Arrived Wednesday morning and started rehearsals Wednesday afternoon. The music festival kicked off Friday night. Concerts are at 5:30 PM and 9 PM.

That sounds really exciting. It looks like a lovely place. I hope you feel better soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom