Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 10:10 AM   #1221

Walked the dog on the beach. It was a bit drizzly. Ran into one of the city council candidates for my district and quized him on the issues. (He's the husband of the termed out incumbent and a very quirky guy.)

DH and older son are at Home Depot getting sheet rock. When they get back me, both sons, and my sister are going to see Cap't America.

Then I have to pack for younger son. He and DH are headed to a home building project through my sister's church, down in Ensenada. Kind of like Habitat for Humanity - except in Mexico. They'll spend 3 days building a house for a needy family.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #1222
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I went to Chelsea Flower show. Beautiful flowers of all kind. On the other hand I managed to kill my Papaver Oriental by overwatering. It doesn't like wet feet. Oh well lesson learned.
If it doesn't survive tomorrow, I will get new plant.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #1223

I've been spending a lot of time studying the manual and watching youtube videos for the Spektrum DX9 R/C transmitter. It's one of those newfangled computer radios and the manual is all too brief for this guy coming back into R/C after about a 13-year layoff. There are a seemingly infinite number of combinations that can be combined.

Take sequencing for example. On an airplane with retractable landing gear, you can program it to open the gear doors, retract the gear, then close the doors. The sequence then reverses for landing. In the old days this would have taken two different switches to do and you'd better remember the right sequence or things got jammed up.

But figuring it out from the brief descriptions in the book is difficult so this is going to take a while. The good news is that for a lot of models there are files that can be downloaded, sent to the transmitter, and the setup is all done! Just amazing.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:55 PM   #1224

After a good trip to the farmers' market (squash, tomatoes, bok choy, green beans, baby potatoes, strawberries, a variety of mushrooms, carrots, peppers, tomatillos, eggs, steak, and soft shell crabs - we have a great variety of vendors!) I set up my new secondary compost bin GEOBIN® Composting System | Compost Bin. Dumped out the compost tumbler into it to "finish" and realized it was way too wet, so I got out the leaf vacuum and sucked up a bunch of the spring leaf drop still hiding out in corners. Put half into the new bin and half into the tumbler to start a new batch. Since it's mostly kitchen waste until the leaves drop again in the fall, that should work out fine as I can add more leaves then.

Need to set up our new weather monitors that just arrived and do some computer cleanup. Think I need a nap first.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #1225

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I figure you are playing with a bunch of snadbaggers...
+1. (In fact, that's so beyond SANDbagging that it really must be SNADbagging. ��)

The odds of beating your handicap index by 11 strokes are....well, they're very high! One more score even close to that & I'd be asking you to adjust your HI with the USGA formula; for tourney/money play anyway.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:03 AM   #1226
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
+1. (In fact, that's so beyond SANDbagging that it really must be SNADbagging. ��)

The odds of beating your handicap index by 11 strokes are....well, they're very high! One more score even close to that & I'd be asking you to adjust your HI with the USGA formula; for tourney/money play anyway.
Hey, my spelling is not what it used to be and my finger typing is worse!
Old 05-29-2016, 12:21 PM   #1227

Whoo Hoo! Finally figured out enough of this radio transmitter to set it up to fly the small Blade 120 helicopter following the setup directions in the manual. Got in a few flights yesterday evening in the family room and a couple more in the front yard this morning while the air was still calm. Just hovering at this point, anything fancier comes much later.

I'll try to post some photos later on but I'll have to put the camera on a tripod and set the interval timer, I can't fly this one and hold the camera release at the same time.

Still doing at least one 1-mile walk every day, weather permitting I do two. My left foot and calf are still swollen and painful from the blood draining from the huge bruise I got in the fall. Doc said the best thing was walking and keeping it elevated when possible. Hurts like h*ll at the beginning of a walk, not too bad by the end. Except this morning for some reason, it was painful all the way. Oh well, things could have ended up a lot worse so no complaints.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:36 PM   #1228

Being to a pub and had a Sunday roast with my SIL. I enjoyed new and creative way of cooking, like lemon grass Pana Cotta with coconut chips/shavings. We walked along the river Thames, it was a wonderful way to spend a Sunday.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:57 PM   #1229
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Started painting the ceiling;

Big difference eh? House has not seen paint since it was built - 32 years ago.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:39 PM   #1230

A couple of photos of the helicopter in flight in the family room. They were shot with strobes so the main rotor is almost "frozen" but the tail rotor is a blur. Three SB-900 strobes fired from the camera and the camera on the interval timer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blade_in_flight-1.jpg (164.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Blade_in_flight-2.jpg (166.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 05-29-2016, 03:15 PM   #1231
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post

Well, actually that is based on my handicap for the purposes of this Thursday group that I play with.... if I did it based on my GHIN adjusted for the course slope then my handicap would probably be a few strokes lower so in actuality I probably only beat my handicap by 8 rather than 11, but nonetheless a very good day for me and some "lucky" shots (like skulling a tee shot on a 130 yd par 3, bouncing into and out of a trap and onto the green and saving a par).

Nonetheless I suspect it is my best score ever at a par 72 course.

I played 9 with DW on Friday at my home course and came back down to earth.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 05-29-2016, 05:14 PM   #1232

I leave in the Fairmont section of Philadelphia so it's an easy walk to the Art museum. My son's had to work so I took out the camera and went on a 'walkabout"

The Rodin park is a popular place for bridal parties

Old 05-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #1233
Administrator

I went to church this morning, then came home and smoked a rack of ribs. Some cole slaw, baked beans and a few beers -- m'mmm good.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:44 PM   #1234
Give me a forum ...

I bought a rack of St. Louis style today to smoke tomorrow.

Tonight will be a nice London broil on the barbee with rice & brocolini. And martini's -
Old 05-29-2016, 08:54 PM   #1235
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday one of my bands played the 50th birthday party for one of the guitar player's wives. It was an afternoon barbeque at their home followed by the band playing a couple 1 hour sets in his man cave garage where we used to rehearse.

Later we sat around with acoustic guitars and did a singalong with a few guests. I'm nursing sore fingers today as I'm primarily a bassist and haven't picked up a guitar in over a month.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:09 PM   #1236

I went down to the city for church. There was a large street festival just a few blocks from the church, so I thought I would walk down there. After needing to step very lively three times in the first block and a half to dodge cars, I decided I had been living in the country too long, and turned around and walked back to my car and went home.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:55 PM   #1237
Give me a forum ...

Our main outings for the weekend were going out for brunch plus attending a couple of plays, Red Velvet in San Francisco and The Village Bike in Berkeley. Both were really well done. Red Velvet starred Carl Lumbly, who I remembered from the TV show Cagney and Lacey. In the play he played the part of Ira Aldrich, an American actor who broke the color barrier on the London stage in 1833.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 05-30-2016, 12:21 PM   #1238

My husband and younger son have been in Baja building a house for a needy family. I've been binge watching Daredevil season 2 on netflix. Interspersed with making older son complete all his end of school year projects.

Oh -and I walked the dog at the beach each morning... This morning the tuna crabs were washed up on the beach - which my dog considers scooby snacks. Yum, crunch.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #1239

I went for a walk around the local park after dinner at home. The weather is so bad, howling wind, but I had to get out of the house and get some except use because I ate a British donut earlier in the day. I felt guilty. I normally don't eat donut at home but just want to try the British version. It was very sweet. Washed down quickly with tea.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:13 PM   #1240

Yesterday I had my last day of river guide training. It was a glorious day on the river, with some planned exercises and an unplanned assist /rescue. Our trainers said that they couldn't have asked for a better teaching opportunity than the situation that developed within a paying trip in front of us. The brand-new guides were very excited to be rescuers!

I banged up my shins pretty badly during one of our exercises and left some skin in the river. (Rocks are hard 😕 ). The bruises were sore this morning so I skipped running the 5K race I had scheduled and served as a volunteer instead.

As we finished our day on the river, a couple of the other trainees were moaning about how sore they were going to be. Please. My kids are older than they are. They don't know sore! I did some yoga today and should be fine tomorrow unless I get hit with DOMS.

I'm back on the river tomorrow for my first trip with paying guests. I'll shadow a fellow guide for a couple of trips before I'm turned loose and expected to fulfill all the duties on my own.
Closed Thread