Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Pop...Pop...Warning!
Old 06-26-2016, 11:31 AM   #1401
Gone but not forgotten

Pop...Pop...Warning!

It really started yesterday morning, when I decided to cool off a few Cokes for my day trip to Woodhaven. Had nothing in the refrigerator section, so needed a quick cool down. Naturally, put the warm cans into the freezer door of our side by side, and just as naturally forgot to take them out.
Last night as we were watching TV, DW and I hear two muffled explosions, and remarked that neighbors were starting early with fireworks this year.

This morning... i mean, you can't make this up... Total devastation... Not only did the cans explode (lengthwise), but the frozen soda shattered into ice crystals that went into every part of the freezer... door shelves, freezer grid shelves, and the walls, bottom basket, down the front and melted into the grate underneath, and the floor under the refigerator. Spared nothing.
Of course everything froze, so wiping up the mess wasn't simple. Had to remove all the frozen goods and then heat up towels to melt the crud off everything. Cleaning the walls was a major project all by itself, as the soda stuck like glue.

An hour+ later, a lesson learned. Next time, I'll be satisfied with warm Coke.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2016, 11:40 AM   #1402
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
... Naturally, put the warm cans into the freezer door of our side by side, and just as naturally forgot to take them out.

... Total devastation... ... Cleaning the walls was a major project all by itself, as the soda stuck like glue.

Yuck! I now start a 20 minute timer when I put something like that in the freezer. Probably better yet to take a few ice packs and put them in a container with some cold water, add the drink can/bottle, and put in the fridge - the water contact will probably chill it faster than air, and no risk of freezing.

-ERD50
Old 06-26-2016, 12:22 PM   #1403

Quote:

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, you're not the only one who has done that. Don't ask how I know....
Old 06-26-2016, 12:36 PM   #1404
Give me a forum ...

I know Canadians who have left cans in the trunk of their vehicles in the winter. Leads to a very messy trunk!
Old 06-26-2016, 03:12 PM   #1405
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Its more like what I didn't do yesterday. I was all set to go off roading with the group to Rainbow Falls when DD sent me a text Friday evening saying her car was probably in its "death throughs". Could she borrow my sports car until she can get her car in to have it checked? I, of course, said OK. Only problem was the glass in the soft top was not attached for about a foot along the bottom. I had bought some glass goop to fix it a few weeks ago, so I fixed the glass yesterday instead of going with the off road group. DD will get to find out if the patch job holds up. I'll have to wait until the next outing with the off road group.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:53 PM   #1406
Give me a forum ...

It's 98 degrees outside, I built a "deck mister"

Folds down when not in use;

Old 06-26-2016, 06:49 PM   #1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
It's 98 degrees outside, I built a "deck mister"

Looks like some quite neighbors across the street.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:07 PM   #1408
Give me a forum ...

Yup, I live across the street from a grave yard.

A constant reminder to "blow some dough" eh?

It's a one way ride.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:31 PM   #1409
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Yup, I live across the street from a grave yard.

A constant reminder to "blow some dough" eh?

It's a one way ride.
Our first apartment was across the street from one. We were all of 18 yo and joked with our friends about always having fresh flowers.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:12 PM   #1410

Finally got the right-sized battery in for the Pitts S-1S model airplane and had some fun flying in the back yard. It's been a long while since I'd had much practice flying inverted and I managed to fly it into a tree and a back porch post, both at speed. Amazingly, there is no discernible damage! That is one tough foam airplane.

DW says I make her nervous flying airplanes in the back yard. I can't imagine why....
Old 06-27-2016, 03:20 PM   #1411
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It really started yesterday morning, when I decided to cool off a few Cokes for my day trip to Woodhaven. Had nothing in the refrigerator section, so needed a quick cool down. Naturally, put the warm cans into the freezer door of our side by side, and just as naturally forgot to take them out.
Last night as we were watching TV, DW and I hear two muffled explosions, and remarked that neighbors were starting early with fireworks this year.

This morning... i mean, you can't make this up... Total devastation... Not only did the cans explode (lengthwise), but the frozen soda shattered into ice crystals that went into every part of the freezer... door shelves, freezer grid shelves, and the walls, bottom basket, down the front and melted into the grate underneath, and the floor under the refigerator. Spared nothing.
Of course everything froze, so wiping up the mess wasn't simple. Had to remove all the frozen goods and then heat up towels to melt the crud off everything. Cleaning the walls was a major project all by itself, as the soda stuck like glue.

Take a 32 oz. big gulp free cup , put in warm can, cover with ice cubes from fridge, fill with cold water, leave in sink....and don't ask me how many exploded cans of soda it took me to adopt this method..Cooling for Dummies..
Old 06-27-2016, 03:51 PM   #1412
Give me a forum ...

This approach looks interesting too... two minutes.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 06-27-2016, 03:58 PM   #1413
Moderator Emeritus

Cold beer anyone?

Old 06-27-2016, 07:39 PM   #1414
Give me a forum ...

Too expensive for me... I'm a LBYM guy.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 06-27-2016, 08:56 PM   #1415

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
This approach looks interesting too... two minutes.

This would work even better if you did it in a way that you could stir or spin the can in the solution. I bet I could get that lemonade down closer to 32° with some agitation. That's a good idea though. I never thought about the salt (even though I've made ice cream using a ice/salt/brine method).
Old 06-28-2016, 02:39 PM   #1416
Give me a forum ...

We have been busy tearing out the back deck in our high-country home. We bought the house new 10 years ago, and now the boards have rotted out in places. Luckily, the joists and beams still look OK, but we need to do something to protect them from further deterioration.

Just came back from the local lumber yard to place an order for composite decking. I am mad at having to do so much work on the deck over the years and still have problems, so nothing but the best Trex grade this time.

Some composite stuff is so pricey, it scares me. Would you believe that a composite fascia board of 1"x8"x12' costs $104? So, I already had to scale back to use cheaper material where possible, and the material cost still comes to $10K for this 1,000-sq.ft. deck, not including the railings (which I will deal with later). The hidden clips to hold the boards to the joists cost $550 for this project, and that is already the less expensive type. The more expensive clips would cost $1K by themselves.

It's only money, but money is getting more scarce after this "Brexit" fiasco. Oh well, that's why I am doing this myself to save on labor cost.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #1417
Full time employment: Posting here.

Forgot to post this weekend. I finally got a paying gig in the Washington, DC early music community. I'm the one with the bass recorder seated immediately to the right of the organ. We recorder players were patiently(?) waiting for the strings (to the left of the organ) to finish tuning. Also played alto recorder on another piece with the group. Great fun playing with folks who make their living in music.

Today, I painted the first wall in our "repaint the entire main floor" painting project.

Ah, the ups and downs of retirement!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baroque Bonanza 3.jpg (595.5 KB, 44 views)
Old 06-28-2016, 03:43 PM   #1418
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Impressive, especially since Abe Lincoln was your organist.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #1419

jjquantz, what larks! I'll bet it was a lovely concert--certainly a lovely setting. I myself am a great fan of early music. BTW, that's a mammoth recorder.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:30 PM   #1420
Full time employment: Posting here.

Marita40, do you ever go see the Lyra Baroque Orchestra who play in St. Paul? When DW and I lived in Iowa we would go up to the twin cities to see them a couple of times each year.
Closed Thread