What did you do today? 2016 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gave blood this morning.
Bought some lean ground beef on the way back.
Bought some gas as truck was near empty.
That's only the second time I've pumped gas in 2.5 years.
Chicken and vegetables in the Crockpot for supper.
Need to bury compost.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Scraped paint for 4.5 hours. Drove the roadster to lunch and for ice cream with the young wife. Took a nap when we got home.

Last few days. Did some downsizing - trucked my generator to Western Illinois where my SIL arranged a sale to a nearby farmer. Bought some mapping software, and have been making maps/planning Ireland trip for the last 2 days. Getting ready to fertilize the lawn.

Bought 2 tickets to Pat Travers next month and walked Lucy the dog.

Gonna heat up some leftover pizza for lunch and then go outside and drill some holes in some PVC pipe for my latest invention.

Today I bought new living room furniture after months of shopping . The good thing about the new furniture is the fabric is sunbrella so hopefully it will not fade as much . The other good thing is they will remove your old furniture and donate it to Habitat for Humanity .My old set is in good condition just faded .Hey , I can not let Robbie B being the only one stimulating the economy .

Today I bought new living room furniture after months of shopping . The good thing about the new furniture is the fabric is sunbrella so hopefully it will not fade as much . The other good thing is they will remove your old furniture and donate it to Habitat for Humanity .My old set is in good condition just faded .Hey , I can not let Robbie B being the only one stimulating the economy .

I recently got furniture for my 3 season room that has Sunbrella fabric, I like the fade and stain resistance.

I did this kind of thing at the county fair:

Highly recommended. It was only kids that were doing it, but since I was under 200 pounds, they let me on.

Great, safe way to play on a trampoline. I got two back flips in a two back flip failures. I vowed to keep going until I was kicked off, but I ran out of steam. Quite a workout.

I did some real trampoline in college, and had a bad landing on my head once (explains a lot).

They had free ice cream at the fair, but we skipped it and made our own (sugar free) when we got home:

2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
.75 cup Erythritol
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
2 squares of unsweetened chocolate, chopped

Good job, Moemg! Hope you love your new furniture.

First Sunday back in the choir loft after summer break - I enjoy the break every year but it's sweet to come back and sing together. Watched the USA basketball team win gold while I prepped about 10 pounds of roasted Hatch chiles for the freezer to use until next August- so much better than canned. Talked with DS who starts on his PhD in aerospace engineering tomorrow - very cool. Watching the Rio closing ceremonies now, then will skim/watch the NASCAR race that was rained out yesterday. Gotta love the DVR.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
Sounds great, congratulations! Not only did you stimulate the economy, but you looked until you found exactly what you wanted (with the fade resistance you wanted) so you got value for your money. :)

Drove about halfway from Chicago to DFW, with the remainder tomorrow. Made a big loop (Chicago pun) through Oklahoma to KC (day one, topped of by bbq at Arthur Bryant's), then on to Des Moines after a quick jaunt to Winterset to visit the Duke's homeplace and the bridges of Madison Co., then on to Chicago for a visit with DB, complete with a $91 + tip dinner, a concert featuring Al Di Meola, and a visit to a blues club. Took the shorter route home, south through Illinios (The Long State), Missouri, then Arkansas (Native American for "road construction")...

Ready to be home...

Last edited:
Yesterday - went to a Meetup for people who like to play Scrabble. Found out that there was a bus that would get me there so I didn't have to worry about parking in a congested area. It was great weather for walking the few blocks after the bus.

Have not played since I was a kid but I got patient partners. Still got whipped, but it was a lot of fun anyway. The people who gathered to play were quirky and interesting. I am looking forward to the next meeting.

We met at an Au Bon Pain, which was almost empty, and the weather was nice so we sat outside at their tables with our ice coffees. Then they closed off the street for an afternoon of music. Lovely summer Sunday afternoon.

Walked the dog, went to the store and got some lobster tails for supper, unpacked my southern boiled peanuts that arrived and now I'm going out to work on my little "plumbing project"

28836584612_9e57960c25_z.jpg

Then I'll warm up some of those peanuts and munch with cocktails and consider how I'm gonna cook those lobster tails.

Question from a Northerner. When you eat boiled peanuts....do you eat them in the shell or do you shell them first and just eat the inside?

DH tried boiled peanuts two years ago when we were in Alabama. The look on his face suggested to me that I do not join in the festivities. But he didn't shell them. I thought that was odd. He said he didn't think he was supposed to....?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

My life on the stage

Since retiring, have started acting in local community theater. I'm currently playing Ado Annie's father in a production of "Oklahoma!" at our local dinner theater!

Attachments

• Oklahoma shotgun.jpg
    Oklahoma shotgun.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 16
Question from a Northerner. When you eat boiled peanuts....do you eat them in the shell or do you shell them first and just eat the inside?

You ain't from 'round these parts are ya son?!:ROFLMAO:

PS: you don't eat the shell.

Went to the library, went to the post office, went to a store to buy some picture frames, chatted with people at each stop. Just looked down to see that I have been wearing my henley-style shirt inside out, buttons inside, seams and tags on the outside. :facepalm:

UPS showed up a few minutes ago with an unexpected delivery - two more of something I ordered earlier this month and received last week. The UPS guy waited while I called the company to find out why they sent me the same thing three times. The CS rep didn't have a clue.

I refused delivery and asked the rep to be sure I wasn't charged, then checked my CC to be sure - I hadn't.

Adding to the mystery is the fact I had to contact them on both this and a previous order after they emailed me the order had "shipped" and three days later UPS still had no record of the shipping number in their system.

The company touts it is one of the fastest-growing online retailers in the US. I suspect they have become victims of their own success and have outgrown their ability to fulfill orders in a timely manner.

Prepped inside of house in AM for painter, meaning lots of furniture movement, then worked in the yard for a couple of hours. Met the electrician next - we're changing out all of our dimmer switches so they are compatible with LED's - and showed him what/where adjustments were needed. Hubby came home from running errands, and in that house was a bit torn up, invited me to lunch on his dime (meaning his "Mad" money vs our allotted Restaurant money) . I happily accepted and we spent a very pleasant hour talking and enjoying our bagel sandwiches alfresco.

Electric work done upon our return, now swapping out old bulbs for LED's. Hoping to see some $ savings come our next bill. Planned to sit with a book out of the painter's way the remainder of the afternoon.

Dinner is leftover turkey pot pie, in that I won't have my house back until tomorrow. We'll finish out the day enjoying a glass of wine across the street at our HOA pool.

Went to the library, went to the post office, went to a store to buy some picture frames, chatted with people at each stop. Just looked down to see that I have been wearing my henley-style shirt inside out, buttons inside, seams and tags on the outside. :facepalm:

Had I seen you, I would be marveling to myself "Wow!! Now THAT's the kind of self confidence I wish I had. She's so cool!" :LOL:

Much better then those dreams that everyone has about going out public with clothes missing completely..they say almost everybody has this very common dream.

I am still here in the low-desert home, waiting to see if the attic is clear of roof rats before I take off to the high-country home to finish replacing the deck boards.

While I wait, been spending a lot of time playing with electronics, building some RF circuits, and checking them out carefully with my HP and Tektronix equipment. Learned a lot of things that I did not know or took for granted before.

The food left in the attic, outside of the trap to be sure, has been untouched for 3 or 4 days. I think it is safe to leave the home, and head up to cool weather tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

Much better then those dreams that everyone has about going out public with clothes missing completely..they say almost everybody has this very common dream.

:LOL:Yes I think I lived it today--DH and I got in the car this evening and I realized my shirt was still inside out (why yes I am a procrastinator at heart), so I just nonchalantly pulled it off, turned it rightside out, and pulled it back on. The street was empty but not sure the nosy neighbor didn't get an eyeful, but DH loved it.

I'm sitting at the kitchen table watching a fawn playing in the aspen grove directly behind my place. Its a great way to start a morning!

You ain't from 'round these parts are ya son?!:ROFLMAO:

PS: you don't eat the shell.

Lmao.... I KNEW it! That also explains why the street vendor looked at him like that.

Can't wait to share the news with him :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom